Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117045 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Listening to Washburn the other day, Edwards was suppose to be that 3pt/Robinson type guy. But hasnt panned out. 32 percent fg and 31 percent in 3s

He wasnt even able to make the open 3 pt shots/unreliable. Couple that with poor defense

With this upcoming draft, expecting one of the Celts pick to be a 3 pt sharpshooter with size.  Nesmith, Saddiq Bey, Joe, Nwora, Bane, Tillie

« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Listening to Washburn the other day, Edwards was suppose to be that 3pt/Robinson type guy. But hasnt panned out. 32 percent fg and 31 percent in 3s

He wasnt even able to make the open 3 pt shots/unreliable. Couple that with poor defense

With this upcoming draft, expecting one of the Celts pick to be a 3 pt sharpshooter with size.  Nesmith, Saddiq Bey, Joe, Nwora, Bane, Tillie

Edwards could still come around but Bane is like a supersized Edwards.  The Celtics definitely need shooters to surround there shot creators with. Semi has so many open looks and just can't get them to fall.

« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
There’s some interesting information in this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

It says that RJ Hampton’s jump shot has improved a lot since he’s last played.  I could see Ainge being interested in him.

It also says Jalen Smith’s stock has been rising and that he could be a possibility for the Celtics at 14.

« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

It says that RJ Hampton’s jump shot has improved a lot since he’s last played.  I could see Ainge being interested in him.

It also says Jalen Smith’s stock has been rising and that he could be a possibility for the Celtics at 14.

The info that teams may be trying to trade down is interesting. There are some good solid players in that 5-10 range. This could be a very active draft.

« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Hampton bickering at the refs and coachability questions are a smidge of a concern for me

Not sure how much of a big deal it is or just immaturity

« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2020, 06:28:56 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Hampton bickering at the refs and coachability questions are a smidge of a concern for me

Not sure how much of a big deal it is or just immaturity

I’m not sure about that.  I’d look in another direction just because he and Langford are similar type of players who would be competing for backup minutes.  He does sound like the type of player Ainge likes. 

P Williams, Bey, and Nesmith are the guys that most interest me at 14.

« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The info that teams may be trying to trade down is interesting. There are some good solid players in that 5-10 range. This could be a very active draft.

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from
 now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

I could see this happen. Especially for Okongwu or Wiseman

Otherwise with a flat cap and decent chance that guys like Semi, Wannamaker and one of Theis or Kanter out. Celts will ptobably need to rely on draft picks for depth next season

« Reply #293 on: September 21, 2020, 07:31:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Frankly, I don't think Edwards shooting percentage this year are are a result of his inability to shoot.  Much more likely a result of a combination of jitters, adjusting to the league and a different role, inconsistent playing time, and being completely out of sync.  I have zero doubt the kid can shoot the lights out.

My bigger issue with him is whether he has a role in the NBA.  He was a volume shooter in college but does any team want him launching threes from all over the court and a primary option?  I don't think so.  This also ignores his size/defense issues.

So he would need to adjust to a different role to make it.  And that's what he's struggling with IMO.

« Reply #294 on: September 21, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

That would be great, but also think it sounds too good to be true for the Celtics. Is 14+26+30 => 7?

Wonder if the Celtics try to trade up would they make Langford or Grant Williams available (Edwards certainly)?

« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Okongwu would be my target if we could swing that kind of trade.

« Reply #296 on: September 21, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That would be great, but also think it sounds too good to be true for the Celtics. Is 14+26+30 => 7?

Wonder if the Celtics try to trade up would they make Langford or Grant Williams available (Edwards certainly)?

Grant is the only one I’d hesitate to trade. If it was necessary for the deal and the Cs were convinced one of these guys is special, seems worth it. That’s kind of a cop-out, but’s it’s a pretty routine story that teams learn a lot in the meetings and workouts.

If they think these guys are just role players, probably not.

« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Grant is the only one I’d hesitate to trade. If it was necessary for the deal and the Cs were convinced one of these guys is special, seems worth it. That’s kind of a cop-out, but’s it’s a pretty routine story that teams learn a lot in the meetings and workouts.

I wouldn't trade trade Grant also

Okongwu is considered a super role type.  Not sold on his perimeter game. 

If Wiseman drops to 7, thats another story.   He has AD lite type potential.   

« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Wiseman is the most intriguing player in this draft. He's just so big and athletic. He has amazing physical gifts and if he has the work ethic to go with it he could really be an excellent player.

« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2020, 01:02:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Wiseman is the most intriguing player in this draft. He's just so big and athletic. He has amazing physical gifts and if he has the work ethic to go with it he could really be an excellent player.
He really could be anything. Exciting, but also terrifying potential. He could be literally anything from an Anthony Davis / Jermaine O'Neal type to a JaVale McGee
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)