Author Topic: What trade do you think Danny is working on?  (Read 29967 times)

Re: What trade do you think Danny is working on?
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
IMO, there isn't going to be a significant trade anytime soon. We probably only have one good pick and its value is uncertain, few teams are going to be willing to take Hayward's contract at this point, and I think the Celtics believe Tatum is too valuable to trade unless you're getting extraordinary value back.

This "trade for KAT and we'll absorb Wiggins' contract". They owe him $120+ million. Just as that contract is crippling to Minn, it would be crippling to us. There is no scenario where taking on his contract makes sense, and KAT is a flawed player. Giving up all of our picks and young players would be foolish. You'd plug one hole and open up 2 or 3 others.

I don't know, it's tempting. If you are somebody who believes that Towns is far and away the best player of the trio: Towns/Hayward/Brown, then it is something to consider. I understand Wiggins had an off year and that he is overpaid, but if you are able to acquire Towns while holding on to Tatum (assuming he is off the table since we would be absorbing Wiggins), that is a pretty strong core with which to start.

But so is Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Hayward (and Kemba, obviously). So I won't argue this point too much.

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
they should have $1,132,128 in cap space to sign a rookie free agent. I think its Tacko Time!!!

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think what u see is what u going to get for the start of the season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
IMO, there isn't going to be a significant trade anytime soon. We probably only have one good pick and its value is uncertain, few teams are going to be willing to take Hayward's contract at this point, and I think the Celtics believe Tatum is too valuable to trade unless you're getting extraordinary value back.

This "trade for KAT and we'll absorb Wiggins' contract". They owe him $120+ million. Just as that contract is crippling to Minn, it would be crippling to us. There is no scenario where taking on his contract makes sense, and KAT is a flawed player. Giving up all of our picks and young players would be foolish. You'd plug one hole and open up 2 or 3 others.

I don't know, it's tempting. If you are somebody who believes that Towns is far and away the best player of the trio: Towns/Hayward/Brown, then it is something to consider. I understand Wiggins had an off year and that he is overpaid, but if you are able to acquire Towns while holding on to Tatum (assuming he is off the table since we would be absorbing Wiggins), that is a pretty strong core with which to start.

But so is Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Hayward (and Kemba, obviously). So I won't argue this point too much.

I know Wyc said he would pay the tax, but I think there's zero % chance the Celtics would pay all those salaries.

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Trading Beal doesn't solve their biggest problem, which is Wall's bloated contract.

Danny is "working on" the trade he will make during the season.  He is considering his options, seeing who steps up/who doesn't, and montoring the situation around the league.

With the trend toward Big Duo, C's duo is Walker/Hayward (both all-stars at various times, Tatum not yet) which is just not as good as many duos out there.  If that doesn't get it done, look for a mid-season move.

Yeah, I don't think there will be a move before the season either. I only mentioned Beal in the event there's no extension signed this summer and Ainge pulls of one of those surprising, late summer deals like he did for KG and Kyrie. I would think Beal would be a guy that would interest Ainge a great deal.

Otherwise, they go into the season as is and Ainge re-assesses at the trade deadline. I do think at some point, at least one of Tatum/Brown/Hayward will be moved and at least one will be kept for the long-term.

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2019, 02:21:07 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I do think Ainge is monitoring (or should be) the Bradley Beal situation.

Talk is the Wizards were going to offer Beal an extension but that has yet to happen. As the summer goes on, if the Wiz can't ink Beal, I think he'll be made available and I think Ainge would pounce.

A back-court of Kemba and Beal would be deadly.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/latest-on-bradley-beal.html

I also think a caller on WEEI yesterday made an interesting point regarding Brown and Tatum. He said that he thinks the Celts should extend Brown and dangle Tatum in a trade (if necessary.) He also said that he thinks Brown is more apt to stay whereas Tatum has could be more likely to eyeball other teams as he gets closer to free agency.

The "trade brown because of his contract" take drives me crazy. People do realize he's restricted right? We can match any offer made to him, and if the offer is truly more than we wnat to match you can pretty much always extract a pick (Like Malcolm Brogdon). If he's good enough tis season that someone wants to offer him a max then we will wnat too keep him.  Same goes with tatum.

And what is a the fascination with Beal? He's a two time all star (in the east) with no al nba appearances  who will be a free agent in two years. To match salaries its gona be lie Brown+Smart+pick. No.

Next time, read the post you're responding to before responding.

I didn't say anything about "trading Brown because of his contract." Actually, I'm mentioning the COMPLETE opposite. I simply mentioned a caller on WEEI saying that he thinks the Celts should extend Brown and Tatum would be the main trade chip in a potential deal (if there's a deal to be made.)

The caller referenced Tatum seems to be a little more of the "whichever way the wind blows" type of guy whereas Brown seems to be a little more headstrong.

I did read your post, it discussed some callers idea of trading Tatum instead of Brown (which seems to have gained some steam because of his contract situation). I then made the leap that trading brown just because of his contract is dumb. Relax, it wasn't a criticism of you just a general comment.

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Is the ordering of Boston's moves clear? If the QO was rescinded before the contracts to the rookies then we'd only have the minimum to play with, although we could still sign a rookie to a 4 year contract. I think it's most likely Javonte Green for that spot, although I'd like to make it Taco Fall instead, with a non guaranteed 2nd year and team options on the 3rd and 4th.

Green is more ready as a contributor which is why I suspect he might get it.

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I do think Ainge is monitoring (or should be) the Bradley Beal situation.

Talk is the Wizards were going to offer Beal an extension but that has yet to happen. As the summer goes on, if the Wiz can't ink Beal, I think he'll be made available and I think Ainge would pounce.

A back-court of Kemba and Beal would be deadly.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/latest-on-bradley-beal.html

I also think a caller on WEEI yesterday made an interesting point regarding Brown and Tatum. He said that he thinks the Celts should extend Brown and dangle Tatum in a trade (if necessary.) He also said that he thinks Brown is more apt to stay whereas Tatum has could be more likely to eyeball other teams as he gets closer to free agency.

The "trade brown because of his contract" take drives me crazy. People do realize he's restricted right? We can match any offer made to him, and if the offer is truly more than we wnat to match you can pretty much always extract a pick (Like Malcolm Brogdon). If he's good enough tis season that someone wants to offer him a max then we will wnat too keep him.  Same goes with tatum.

And what is a the fascination with Beal? He's a two time all star (in the east) with no al nba appearances  who will be a free agent in two years. To match salaries its gona be lie Brown+Smart+pick. No.

Next time, read the post you're responding to before responding.

I didn't say anything about "trading Brown because of his contract." Actually, I'm mentioning the COMPLETE opposite. I simply mentioned a caller on WEEI saying that he thinks the Celts should extend Brown and Tatum would be the main trade chip in a potential deal (if there's a deal to be made.)

The caller referenced Tatum seems to be a little more of the "whichever way the wind blows" type of guy whereas Brown seems to be a little more headstrong.

I did read your post, it discussed some callers idea of trading Tatum instead of Brown (which seems to have gained some steam because of his contract situation). I then made the leap that trading brown just because of his contract is dumb. Relax, it wasn't a criticism of you just a general comment.

Gotcha, misunderstanding :) It happens

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

I love these kind of "flawed" players. Career:
53.7 FG%
39.2 3P%
83.6 FT%
22.3 PTS
11.9 RBS

I think that you have to look at Wiggins as overpaid and KAT is actually underpaid given his production. After this kind of hypothetical trade, the Celtics would be built around KAT, Tatum, and Walker surrounded by complementary players like Wiggins and Grant Williams or some veteran 4. This kind of team profile more closely resembles a potential contender than our present team construction, though I am curious how the foursome of Walker, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will work out.

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I love these kind of "flawed" players. Career:
53.7 FG%
39.2 3P%
83.6 FT%
22.3 PTS
11.9 RBS

I think that you have to look at Wiggins as overpaid and KAT is actually underpaid given his production. After this kind of hypothetical trade, the Celtics would be built around KAT, Tatum, and Walker surrounded by complementary players like Wiggins and Grant Williams or some veteran 4. This kind of team profile more closely resembles a potential contender than our present team construction, though I am curious how the foursome of Walker, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will work out.
the flaw is his defense. in DRPM he is something like 52nd out of 70 nba centers. that means part of his scoring is offset by him letting others score against him.

but we can look at the bright side. KAT's DRPM (0.84) is way better than Kanter, who was next to last in RPM for centers (-1.46).  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:01:58 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Love for Hayward and a late 1st

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2019, 04:19:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
none
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's so hard to say but my gut tells me welding.

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
It's so hard to say but my gut tells me welding.

Funny stuff...TP
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:57 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Love for Hayward and a late 1st

think you have it backwards.  I would think about hayward for love sand a first