Author Topic: What should have been draft week MOCK DRAFT  (Read 10310 times)

Re: What should have been draft week MOCK DRAFT
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge McDuck, but don't we already have like 8-10 mock draft threads for this year's draft(3-4 created by the OP)? These just seem like the same debates I have already seen multiple times in multiple threads.

better then politics or corona talk

TP!!!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge McDuck, but don't we already have like 8-10 mock draft threads for this year's draft(3-4 created by the OP)? These just seem like the same debates I have already seen multiple times in multiple threads.

better then politics or corona talk

TP!!!

It's a fair point.

I mean, I enjoy talking politics plenty, but even I've grown a bit weary of it lately.

I do think Nick also made a fair point, and there may not have been a need to start a new thread.  This probably could have went in any of the other draft threads.

TP's to all of you, though.  I'm feeling generous today.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Patrick Williams

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Maxey is an interesting player, but perhaps also very similar to Langford (I guess better playmaking and a better shooting form, but Langford has more switching ability on defense).

I'm intrigued by Precious Achiuwa (and packaging #26 + #30 for him would be a no-brainer for me).

A future starting frontcourt for the Celtics of Achiuwa/R.Williams could be incredibly dynamic and an absolute terror defensively. Both guys can protect the rim and switch to cover smaller guys on the perimeter, while also having a decent handle for bigs. Lots of work to be done for both of them improve offensively, but with Timelord's passing ability and Achiuwa's driving ability they don't have to be useless outside the paint.

I believe Maxey can be developed into a PG or at least a PG in the Jason Terry mold. He maybe best suited playing secondary initiator to a primary wing like Tatum. His over lap would be more with smart than Langford. While Smart is the superior passer and defender Maxey should be a better penetrator and a more consistent shooter.

Achiuwa and R Williams would be a spacing nightmare. I like Precious but only if he is drafted to play center. He was initially miss cast as a swing man at Memphis. When Wiseman was suspended Precious showed his true potential as a Faried like center. He could ultimately be a Theis/R Williams hybrid big man. His appeal is the fact that he can hopefully rebound at an elite level, punish other bigs off grab and go fast breaks, provide some rim protection, and switch 1-5

Achiuwa has a low BBIQ and he has poor fundamentals.  His highlights are not his real game they are the times he got it right.  He doesn't have the mental tools to go with his physical gifts.   In a different draft maybe take a shot but there are more compelling alternatives at PF/C.  He is the type of player that bad teams draft high and thats why they stay bad teams.

I'll admit I only got footage of Achiuwa on highlight videos and some short scouting videos.

He looks to be athletic and engaged enough to be able to guard positions 3-5. That switchabilty and the ability to protect the rim is something the Celtics can really use. Brown and Tatum are excellent wing defenders, but also a bit small when having to guard the best PF's in the game like Antetokounmpo, Siakam, Adebayo or Davis.

Achiuwa looks to have the right frame, athletism and mentality to become an elite defender. He's an excellent rebounder (a skill that often translates to the NBA) as well. Offensively, shown in those highlight videos he has creative moves to finish and doesn't just rely on athletism and size advantage on college players.

But if you say those highlights are outliers and that he has poor awareness and BBIQ I believe that.

I love Robert Williams and without his injuries he probably would be a much more talked about prospect, but despite all his great defensive plays and ability his advanced numbers on defense aren't any good (compared to for instance Theis). Such type of players just need experience to do the simple things right.

One note, I believe that when we talk about spacing (I suggested a future Achiuwa/Timelord frontcourt) we don't talk enough about vertical spacing. A guy like Javale McGee, who really has a low BBIQ and doesn't have any ball handling skills or post moves, has been very valuable for the Lakers and the Warriors because as an offball vertical spacing provider he has a useful role on offense.

Too often the Celtics offense is predictable as a purely inside-outside game based on drives to find open shooters. To really compete for a title we need more dimensions on offense.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:33:50 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
CFan 38, you are under-rating Grant Riller. He will go in the first round. I'd take him with our 26th pick if available.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
CFan 38, you are under-rating Grant Riller. He will go in the first round. I'd take him with our 26th pick if available.

I don’t disagree,

He is one of my first guys off the board in the second round. I do worry about his age and college competition level.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
Looking at some mocks, not impressed!

Not a Maxey guy, especially since we went with Romeo last year.  I'd rather see Mannion or Maledon, who according to Chad Ford, is #19 and #17 so they might be there at #17. 

At #26, I like Stewart, then at #31, I like Carey, doubling up on the bigs this year.

Probably unpopular, but with JT, JB, GH, and RL, I think our needs are PG, PF/C.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Not a Maxey guy, especially since we went with Romeo last year.  I'd rather see Mannion or Maledon, who according to Chad Ford, is #19 and #17 so they might be there at #17. 

At #26, I like Stewart, then at #31, I like Carey, doubling up on the bigs this year.

Probably unpopular, but with JT, JB, GH, and RL, I think our needs are PG, PF/C.
We already have 2 starting-caliber ball handlers in Kemba + Smart. CBS regularly uses Smart off the ball, because there aren't enough minutes for him at PG. What makes you think that we need one more PG?

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

A player like him is definitely interesting. Super-crafty and unconventional with his movements. Not a great athlete, but definitely a solid player. Kinda' reminds me of CJ McCullom, Paul Pierce, Brogdon, etc. type player. Notice I didn't say level, but type of player. He could play with a similar style to those guys but at a lesser level.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff

We already have 2 starting-caliber ball handlers in Kemba + Smart. CBS regularly uses Smart off the ball, because there aren't enough minutes for him at PG. What makes you think that we need one more PG?

i think, this is the year, Smart gets dealt, besides, I like the idea of having a pure PG behind Kemba.  I would rather have Smart off the bench if he is still with us.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

This seems like an appropriate time and draft to try to land the "PG of the future". Walker has 3 years left on his deal and a player drafted in this years first round will still be in rookie deal when Walkers deal runs out. In this class I see Anthony, Maxey and Terry as players who could be available with the Memphis pick or for a minor trade up who could develop into future Cs starters. I am less sold on Lewis and Maledon but they do have outside shot of filling that role. This Memphis pick is likely the last pick DA has for a long time that isn't in the late 20s and could prove to be vital to the team when Tatum and Brown are at their primes. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thanks for the mock draft! I'm here for all the draft discussion threads you can create!

I would be happy with Maxey at 17 (well I will be even happier if Memphis gets knocked out of the playoffs in the bubble and we pick at 13). With the way your board goes I would want Precious over Maxey. Precious has Faried's energy, but with more length, more shooting potential and better perimeter skill. I also think Precious can defend the perimeter in ways Faried didn't.

I'd be happy with any of Patrick Williams, Maxey, Precious, Lewis, Nesmith and Saddiq Bey.

Is Maledon a stash candidate? I think if they keep all 3 picks they will draft one or two stash guys.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Because we need to groom a future starting PG for when Kemba declines. He is 30, and already showing his miles.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

i think, this is the year, Smart gets dealt, besides, I like the idea of having a pure PG behind Kemba.  I would rather have Smart off the bench if he is still with us.

I'd be stunned if Smart was dealt. He is heart and soul of team, especially on defense. No way he gets traded.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
For the short term a potential (defensively versatile) starting PF and for the longterm a PG are our biggest 'needs'. As well as an elite shooter for the bench.

We don't need a center (unless we're talking about All Star potential), because with Theis and Timelord we're good enough at that position and a third string center is always easy to be found in free agency. And at the SG/SF position we're good for now and for the future with Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Langford, Smart(?) and Ojeleye.