Author Topic: Why the hate for Turner?  (Read 16560 times)

Why the hate for Turner?
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Am I the only person who doesn't hate Turner on this forum? I don't think he played terribly for the Celtics and his contract isn't outrageous or anything. Can someone just explain why everyone hates him? All the trade proposals to simply get rid of him seem a little crazy to me, in my eyes he's a pretty serviceable player.

I should also start a "why the hate for sully" thread but that's for another day.

Re: Why the hate for Turner?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Watching Evan Turner play basketball is like watching ugly people in a beauty pageant. They may be doing the right things, but it just feels wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
in his first season as a celt in  a merry go round of trades  turner had a good season
BUT some of his passes were just sooo bad,hair pulling out ,dumb,stupid ,lazy,you must be blind passes--whaat are you thinking,unbelievable,how could you,a high school player wouldn't make that,what are you on,,what the f---,are you insane,hopeless,braindead,whaaaat the heck are you seeing ,that made me want to puke,maddening,frustrating mind boggling passes-of course brad kept his cool ,my house still reverberates--but i like turner

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
in his first season as a celt in  a merry go round of trades  turner had a good season
BUt some of his passes were just sooo bad,hair pulling out ,dumb,stupid ,lazy,you must be blind passes--whaat are you thinking,unbelievable,how could you,a high school player wouldn't make that,what are you on,,what the f---,are you insane,hopeless,braindead,whaaaat the heck are you seeing ,that made me want to puke,maddening,frustrating mind boggling passes-of course brad kept his cool ,my house still reverberates--but i like turner
I have to disagree with you. Turner was the most efficient ball handler we had.  He set up the offense effectively and played a very unselfish game.  Stevens was brilliant in the handling of Turner. ET is one of the main reasons the Celtics has such a solid second half. 

I watched every game this year and didn't see any of the dumb plays  you talk about. He had a very low turnover ratio.

He was certainly better at handling the team than Rondo.  He will be even better this year.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I agree with this. He's not my favorite player by any stretch, but he was a useful player for us last year.  His ability to play a point-forward enabled Smart to get more minutes on the court, especially earlier in the season, because there was someone else to handle that role when Marcus wasn't ready for it, but who could play a different position defensively.  He came in with a bad teammate reputation, but he seemed like a solid guy in the locker room from all reports.  And he hit some big-time shots at the end of a few games.  It's not like he's even blocking the development of other players (James Young was never ready for an NBA court last season, for instance.)

Do I think he's a Celtics lifer? No.  Would I like a long-term upgrade for his position?  Sure.  Would I trade Turner for that upgrade? In a second.  Did he live up to being the second pick in the draft.  No, but we didn't pick him, so not our problem.  But he's been a good guy to have for the last year, and I hope he continues to provide positive contributions for as long as he's here.  I don't understand the hate.  (And understand, as a Michigan fan, this was the Ohio State jerk who hit a 37-footer at the buzzer to end our 2010 season.  That was my memory of Turner before he became a Celtic, so I hated him with cause.)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Turner is at his best when he is the lead ball handler. I believe for Smart to develop he needs to be the lead ball handler. So Turner is stunting the growth of our best prospect.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
turner hits a floater down the middle for a win,turner hits a corner three for win,turner puts it around his back and navigates the paint for a layup-but those passes haunt me-but i like him

----don't you remember all those low bounce passes too low to zeller
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:22:13 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Watching Evan Turner play basketball is like watching ugly people in a beauty pageant. They may be doing the right things, but it just feels wrong.

I get your trying to be humorous, but the reality is the Celtics played better with him at the point.  He did what he had to do to make the team better and it worked.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't hate him, per se.  I think he has a lot of physical gifts but just doesn't know how to use him.  The basketball IQ is what absolutely kills it with me.  He's like a more offensive gifted version of a young "Trick or Treat" Tony Allen.  You bang your head at some of the decision making.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
(whispers) I actually like him.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I don't hate him, but he plays like he's the number one option on a team when he shouldn't be. Low shooting efficiency, high turnovers, and bad defense. Would rather see a player doing those things be a developing player with room for improvement. We already have IT dominating the ball and I think Smarts role will increase significantly this season, so would rather see other guys get a bigger chance to be a playmaker or scorer like Sully, or Rozier/Hunter.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
This is my biggest sticking point. I know he's not fast or athletic, and can't hit the 3, but he's actually probably our best player.

He produced consistently down the stretch when he became our primary ballhandler. He's cheap, He can pass, shoot from the midrange, he can drive, he can handle, he has size, he can rebound and he digs in on defense. I want this guy on the floor at all times.

He's a very good player. It's tough penciling him into the 3 spot every night, but you know he needs to be in your lineup. 

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 10:23:23 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I loved it when Mike Gorman called Turner an East-West player (as opposed to a North South player)

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This is my biggest sticking point. I know he's not fast or athletic, and can't hit the 3, but he's actually probably our best player.

He produced consistently down the stretch when he became our primary ballhandler. He's cheap, He can pass, shoot from the midrange, he can drive, he can handle, he has size, he can rebound and he digs in on defense. I want this guy on the floor at all times.

He's a very good player. It's tough penciling him into the 3 spot every night, but you know he needs to be in your lineup.
TP brother

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I get your trying to be humorous, but the reality is the Celtics played better with him at the point.  He did what he had to do to make the team better and it worked.

A) aesthetics are a perfectly valid reason to dislike or like a basketball player's game.

B) the fact that Evan Turner was our best point guard speaks to how poorly our backcourt was playing, not so much that he is a good basketball player (because he is not). Part of the reason I have such a 'negative' outlook on the current Celtics is precisely because Evan Turner is arguably our best player.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.