Author Topic: Kyrie Finally Getting the Respect he Deserves  (Read 6677 times)

Re: Kyrie Finally Getting the Respect he Deserves
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
How Ben Simmons / KA Towns are above KI makes no sense to me.  Simmons was really exposed in the playoffs.  I don't think he should be considered a top 20 player.  Towns as well.

Oladipo seems to be questionable as well at 15, but to me he seems to have proven more in last year's playoffs than Simmons / Towns.

I dunno, I stopped going to ESPN's web site and reading their stories a couple of years ago.  It feels like hype not quality.  I suppose any top whatever list is going to spark outrage, I mean that is the point right?
Two of the past 3 seasons Irving has played 60 games or less.  Simmons played 81 last season.  Towns has played 82 games each of his 1st 3 seasons.  If Oladipo is close offensively, he gets the nod for his defense.

Well I thought the list was who is the best player, not who missed the least number of games.

Esp coming from a Sixer fan that was hilarious.
Joel Embiid's 94 games in 3 seasons hasn't really impacted his rankings

Yeah that's why I found it funny that the Sixers guy reasoned Kyrie's injuries when their players have the same issues.

Hey, other than missing literally an entire season, what injury issues has Simmons had?  ::)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I bet Kyrie finally got the sleep he deserved after reading this important list.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
These ESPN rankings are kind of weird. They're projections so there's more speculation involved than normal but they also seem to be ranking based on how involved a player is going to be so Kyrie is lower than he might otherwise be because there's the idea that the Celtics have so many options, Kyrie isn't going to put up the numbers he did the last 2 seasons.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
? He has been overrated his entire career.  Hopefully he chooses to buy into the team this year, share the ball with the more promising and efficient scoring Tatum, and avoid hurting himself for more than 60 games.  Will be nice to move on from him if/when Ainge decides that Boston sports fans care more about winning than branding.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
? He has been overrated his entire career.  Hopefully he chooses to buy into the team this year, share the ball with the more promising and efficient scoring Tatum, and avoid hurting himself for more than 60 games.  Will be nice to move on from him if/when Ainge decides that Boston sports fans care more about winning than branding.

LOL

Never change tar, never change. Someone has to be the resident troll.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yep, caring about business and winning basketball games is mutually exclusive. Guys like Michael Jordan and Lebron James care a ton about their branding and they just never won much in the NBA. Kyrie will never win a ring, I'm sure, because he cares so much about his branding.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He was already recognized as a perennial all-star...close to a top 20 designation

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good - and deservedly so.

A healthy Kyrie (and GH) will be like bulls in a China shop - with the NBA teams in the upcoming season being the China shop.

There will be a good amount of breakage going on with our opponents.

This team is READY - and deserving of ANY accolades that comes its way this season.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How is Victor Oladipo or Simmons ranked higher than Kyrie? Kyrie has the best handles in the entire league he is a big time scorer and clutch player. Simmons is none of the above... Simmons looks the part but he is not a gamer.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
By the way, does tarheel just hate Kyrie because he is a Dukie?

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 08:07:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

LOL

Never change tar, never change. Someone has to be the resident troll.

I don't intend to incite anyone and it's rare that my comments are acknowledged, though I do want to express the beliefs that I've maintained and supported.  I'm also feeling more validated as time goes on -- several well-respected posters have expressed similar thoughts about him.  His contribution to wins, health, locker room presence, self-focused attitude, place among other PGs and truly elite players, etc. have all been questioned.  And I appreciate objectivity among our fanbase.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:17:37 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Yep, caring about business and winning basketball games is mutually exclusive. Guys like Michael Jordan and Lebron James care a ton about their branding and they just never won much in the NBA. Kyrie will never win a ring, I'm sure, because he cares so much about his branding.

Guys like LeBron and Jordan are gifted enough to do both, though both were/are obsessed with winning. Irving isn't that talented and would be more valuable to the Celtics if he focused his energy on the team and winning.  LeBron also dragged Kyrie to a ring, and could have done the same with countless other guys against a hurt Curry and suspended Draymond.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:19:22 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We can't just magically choose the PG of our dreams, we have what we have. Actually, we've upgraded from a few years ago.

Is he the best PG in the NBA...no.

Is he enough to lead us to the promised land? if he stays healthy, I feel he can.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
We can't just magically choose the PG of our dreams, we have what we have. Actually, we've upgraded from a few years ago.

Is he the best PG in the NBA...no.

Is he enough to lead us to the promised land? if he stays healthy, I feel he can.

I hope he can but it is a good thing Danny has timed Terry Rozier to be renewed next season. Ii is not impossible that Kyrie plays himself out of a future with Celtics next season and moves on. I feel lucky that we have a player who has proven he is ready for the keys as our PG.

As good as Kyrie is, he must prove he can lead a talented team to the finals and better yet win. If we fall short with him leading a healthy team then maybe he not the Celtics PG of the future as we have hoped. His volume shooting may be his achilles heel if he goes cold.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 12:56:45 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I look forward to Kyrie singing a max contract with the Celtics next summer and watching him lead the team for the foreseeable future.  It will be a joy to watch such an immensely talented, stand up guy wear the Celtics uniform and bring glory to the franchise.