Author Topic: Thoughts on Nesmith: Mostly Positive  (Read 1143 times)

Thoughts on Nesmith: Mostly Positive
« on: January 31, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think the game is starting to slow down for him, which is why Brad is giving him more minutes.  With Smart going down, I would expect his minutes to increase even more.

Offensively, his 3 point shooting percentage has improved, but he seems to strain on his shot from NBA range, as evidenced by the flatness of his shot arc. The shooting coaches and strength and conditioning coaches will help him adjust to the NBA line.  Pritchard already had Dame range by his senior year in college, which is why he didn't need this adjustment. I am very confident once Nesmith adjusts to the NBA line, he will become a sniper for us.  He still has a slow release, but that is because he hasn't been forced to quicken it; teams have generally been giving him enough time to shoot with his current release. That will probably take a while, perhaps off season, to accelerate his release. Right now there is no need to.

He has shown decent athleticism driving to the hoop, and hope he keeps doing so, especially to get his confidence going if his 3 isn't falling.  Reminds me of Jaylen Brown's difficulties as a rookie (and frankly into his 2nd year and 3rd year) where savvy defenders would either swipe the ball away from him and/or draw a charge.  Recall the charge drawn on him vs Spurs, and the ball get swiped last night vs the Lakers.  These are to be expected, growing pains, against savvy NBA defenders.  More importantly, he looks quite comfortable driving with the ball, and pretty decisive.   This is not just a 3 and D guy; he actually has ability to be a play maker, with time.

Defensively is where I am really encouraged.  There were multiple times last night when he took on the challenge of guarding Lebron.  He is starting to learn the system better, too, in terms of where to switch. He probably overhelps on double teams a bit too much, but younger players often fall into that trap.  We have seen him make spectacular defensive plays (block pass on Zach Levine breakaway) and his length is obvious a huge defensive asset. I find his lateral quickness better than advertised, too.  Not saying he is, or will become, an elite defender. But he already is earning extended minutes for a reason: because Brad likes what he sees on the defensive end.

Re: Thoughts on Nesmith: Mostly Positive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I have to believe the shot will come around. He’s been a great shooter before, he works hard, and he’s clearly a good athlete. Seeing the improvements others have made on this team I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t straighten it out.

The defense is improving. I was pleased to see his on-ball defense against LBJ, hustle, and quickness. He still seemed to miscommunicate on a few picks - on one play he thought they would switch it, and Tatum clearly expected him to get thru the pick - leading to a layup - but that’s a rookie mistake that can be ironed out.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
With Smart out I think we’re going to see more of Nesmith and that can only be a good thing for his development. How deep we go in the post season will be determined by health and guys like Nesmith and Romeo contributing.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
A number of people around here have said he has a slow release, but I don’t see it. He keeps the ball high and doesn’t add a lot of motion - passers would do well to aim for his neck.

I’ve also heard posters claiming that his primary competitor is Ojeleye. This is a little bit bizarre, frankly. His primary competitor is Romeo, and I’m betting on Aaron in that competition.

He’s shown a short midrange off the bounce with a very high arc, and in preseason also showed a floater - out of a postup, no less, and with an absurdly high arc.

Haven’t seen a lot of dribbling from him yet, and very little with his left hand; but he does have a good sidestep move to his left to free himself for a three.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 05:02:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i believe nesmith will turn out to be a good nba player, particulalry with his shooting from 3 point land.

but what he needs to work on defensively (as well as items mentioned above for his offense) is his foot work on defense. it really is bad. i am amazed his college coaches didnt work on this with him more.

watch his foot movements on defense. it puts him behind when he moves laterally. but all this is very fixable, which bodes well for his defence going forward.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva