Poll

Who would you rather send out in a deal for AD?

Jaylen Brown
24 (61.5%)
Marcus Smart
15 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Who Would You Rather Send Out in a Deal for AD?  (Read 3951 times)

Who Would You Rather Send Out in a Deal for AD?
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously the topic of Anthony Davis has been heavily discussed, but the assumption seems to be that Marcus Smart's salary would be needed for salary matching purposes. While it certainly makes things easier, that is not necessarily true.

A deal centered around Tatum, Smart, Yabusele (or Williams), pick(s) makes perfect sense. However, you should be able to work within the 125% rule on AD's $27M salary next year by including Tatum, Brown, Yabusele  which is about $17.5M plus the salary from the SAC and LAC picks (currently at $3M and $2.3M). Our pick would add an additional $2M as well, if needed (or Williams, Ojeleye). We would need to wait until one month after the picks are signed for this to happen.

Anyway, say New Orleans says they would accept either deal. Would you rather move on from Marcus Smart as our starting SG or give up on the potential that is Jaylen Brown? Keep in mind that while Smart will make more than Brown in 2019-20, his salary is sure to drastically increase once his rookie deal is over one year later.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:23:29 PM by jambr380 »

Re: Who Would You Rather Send Out in a Deal for AD?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Right now I vote Hayward.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Honestly, everyone is on the table with the exception of Kyrie. I'm not overtly attached to any of these players so if a package has to go out, it doesn't matter to me who is in it if the return is Anthony Davis.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Make everyone available but Kyrie and Tatum. Every pick also.

I would prefer that Rozier and Hayward would be in the deal. Think if the Cs could move them would help with chemistry and unloading dead weight.

But I do not think anyone wants Hayward with that deal and the fact he is a shell of himself now.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Probably Brown because he should have more value, AND he’ll likely demand a larger contract than the one Smart is on. Hopefully it’s not both
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'd be pretty disappointed and downright shocked if Danny walked away from an Anthony Davis trade because of Jayson Tatum.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Right now I vote Hayward.

That would probably best, although that's probably going to cost an extra pick. But if he doesn't show improvement it would be worth it. Still rooting for Hayward though. He's a teamplayer.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 04:17:24 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I'd be pretty disappointed and downright shocked if Danny walked away from an Anthony Davis trade because of Jayson Tatum.

I think you can get AD and still keep Tatum. Would rather you send out Brown, Hayward, Rozier and all four picks.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
This may not be the case later in the year if he can somehow regain his mojo, but I think everybody would rather deal Hayward at this moment.

There are also other deals to be made like: Smart, Brown, Yabusele, picks or Horford, Tatum, picks, etc...but for this particular exercise, I was just interested who Cs Nation would rather keep between these two, since, for all intents and purposes, either one can be inserted into the original deal (Tatum, Yabusele, picks) while the other would be our starting SG moving forward.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think you can get AD and still keep Tatum. Would rather you send out Brown, Hayward, Rozier and all four picks.
And never have a free agent come to Boston ever again? And make CBS likely quite upset? Moving Hayward is incredibly shortsighted considering this year was always going to be purely concerned with shaking rust off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

I agree totally.  After last season I was against trading either Brown or Tatum, but neither has taken the leap that I was hoping for them.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

And never have a free agent come to Boston ever again? And make CBS likely quite upset? Moving Hayward is incredibly shortsighted considering this year was always going to be purely concerned with shaking rust off

I don't think Danny Ainge cares one bit about how it looks. He moved one of the greatest Celtics ever in PP. He will do what it takes.

Who cares if CBS is upset? And if this year is really just about Hayward shaking off the rust then Boston is not winning the East, nor the title. And who is to say that Hayward returns to form next year?

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't think Danny Ainge cares one bit about how it looks. He moved one of the greatest Celtics ever in PP. He will do what it takes.

Who cares if CBS is upset? And if this year is really just about Hayward shaking off the rust then Boston is not winning the East, nor the title. And who is to say that Hayward returns to form next year?

There's enough Hayward threads. Let's not derail this one.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

TP for this  ;D (and to everyone else in the thread so far, too - it always stinks creating a thread and getting no replies!)

Seriously, though (and the results may be totally skewed rendering this comment completely wrong), who would have thought that at the end of last season this would even be a question? Jaylen Brown looked like the 2nd coming of Jimmy Butler and many were ready to let Smart walk for free. The fact that Smart has essentially taken Brown's starting position away from him and is now shooting a better % from downtown makes this a legitimate argument...and this is coming from a die-hard Brown apologist (I am SO happy he has improved from earlier in the year btw).