Author Topic: Sam Hauser sixth man of the year?  (Read 1965 times)

Re: Sam Hauser sixth man of the year?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Hauser has been great, providing valuable minutes.  But I am not sure he is even the 6th best player on the team (Horford), much less the best 6th man in the league.  I guess if he keeps shooting >50% from 3, as he has the last 10 games, a lot could change for him.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
What I'm most surprised by is that I'm seeing this topic pop up before "will the Celtics get 5 All-Stars?"  Although maybe I just missed that one.

I don’t see why that topic would be phrased as a question.   ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 08:43:57 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
He's more Mac struss or Kyle korver type. Run off screens and knock down 3's.

Hell have off nights like he did against the hornets but I expect him to average over 40% from 3 for the year

And actually holds his own defensively

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
He's more Mac struss or Kyle korver type. Run off screens and knock down 3's.

Hell have off nights like he did against the hornets but I expect him to average over 40% from 3 for the year

And actually holds his own defensively
That is the part that makes him a valuable member of the rotation. People look at him and see mismatch written all over him. Is he a defensive stopper? Of course not. Would another team build their game plan around attacking him mercilessly when he is checked in? Of course not. He is an average level defender for a bench player.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 11:43:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
If you look at our main bench guys, Hauser (312 min/+20), Pritchard (294 min/+93) and Horford (288 min/+50), Hauser is the least effective in terms of +/-.  These 3 are all getting to play with more or less the same rotation players and combinations.  Horford has only played 12 games vs. 14 for Hauser and Pritchard so he is averaging the most per game (24 min/gm).

I am happy with what all 3 have given the team.  You want bench guys to have some position versatility which they all have.  You want them to take care of the ball (all have <1 TO/gm).  Plus these 3 are generating additional possession with ORebs (2.6 combined), steals (1.4 combined), blocks (1.2 combined).   Also, 6.6 assts per game combined, so these guys are moving the ball.

None of these guys are going to give you 15-20 pts off the bench very often, so none of them are the "microwave" type bench player, but they don't need to be and aren't trying to be.  Combined, they have gotten 12.2 pts/gm.

The one I am most disappointed with is Brissett.  He could be filling a big role as a PF/Swing off the bench.  I have not given up on him, it takes a while to integrate into a new team that is established like the Celtics are.  But 17.6% FG% is just not going to cut it.  I did a sort of players with >30 total minutes and Brissett has the worst FG% in the entire league of this subset.  If he could get up to his career averages of about 40% FG and 34% 3FG, he would be right there with these other 3 main bench guys, getting regular minutes and helping the team.