Author Topic: Celtics looking for veteran forward  (Read 13307 times)

Celtics looking for veteran forward
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Per Boston Globe:

The Celtics are seeking a veteran forward, but NBA sources said Walker will not be considered to be re-signed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/12/16/pierce_shrugs_off_injury/

So, we already know that Walker won't be the one. Any suggestions about who the C's can sign? What kind of skill do we need? Either it's going to be a very lateral trade or a free-agent signing. Any potential candidates to be bought out? Guys who are playing abroad?

Re: Celtics looking for veteran forward
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
PJ Brown

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Makes me wonder why they didn't try to sign Matt Barnes when he was available.  Didn't he sign for the vet minimum?

I wouldn't be surprised if Danny already spoke with PJ and he has decided to stay retired.  I believe PJ said that if he played again it would only be for the Celtics.

PJ would be my first choice though if he decided to play.  Joe Smith 2nd, but he would have to be traded for. 

I wonder how Antoine feels knowing he's the only forward on the market right now that the Cs don't have to trade for and they still don't want him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
PJ Brown

Don't you think PJ Brown would be labeled as a center?

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
PJ Brown

Don't you think PJ Brown would be labeled as a center?

I think the "veteran forward" language is the Globe's, rather than Danny's.  Regardless, I think players like P.J., Joe Smith, etc. are forwards, even if they can play the center position.

I think the team will end up signing Dikembe.  He made it sound like there is an open offer for him to join the team, and it's just a matter of him agreeing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacques Wamutombo
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I know I'd prefer Mutombo, but I am hazy on what Edgar is thinking.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i do believe that danny will deal giddens for future assets, opening up a roster spot for a veteran big.

as much as i'd like to see o'bryant cut, it probably makes sense to hang onto him as a practice player, allowing him to work with the coaching staff to see if he improves.

honestly, i wouldn't mind seeing antoine back so he could get his ring and retire a celtic.  as much as he aggravates me, i do have respect for him.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Makes me wonder why they didn't try to sign Matt Barnes when he was available.  Didn't he sign for the vet minimum?

this has been done to death, but how do you know they didn't? Several teams talked to matt barnes, and he went to PHX. I've seen no list as to who those other teams were.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I wouldn't mind a guy like Linton Johnson.  He's a good rebounder and defender at the 3.  I think he could fit in well here although he doesnt bring much on offense.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I wouldn't be surprised if Danny already spoke with PJ and he has decided to stay retired.  I believe PJ said that if he played again it would only be for the Celtics.

PJ would be my first choice though if he decided to play.  Joe Smith 2nd, but he would have to be traded for. 

I wonder how Antoine feels knowing he's the only forward on the market right now that the Cs don't have to trade for and they still don't want him.

Who's to say Danny didn't make an attempt for Barnes.  Maybe the guy just wanted to play on the West Coast.  You'd have to figure at least one team offered him more than the vet min.  So maybe it wasn't as much about the money for him.

But as someone else already said, I think the term "veteran forward" was the reporters wording, not Danny's.  Ainge wants another veteran big.  Not a wing.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While Mutombo, Joe Smith and PJ Brown are the names being thrown around a guy that might be had that could help is Mikki Moore. Scal and a rookie might have to go and maybe Baby but I think he could help the front court. If we get rid of the extra body it would also open up a real SF back up addition as well.

I don't know, just an idea.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Who's to say Danny didn't make an attempt for Barnes.  Maybe the guy just wanted to play on the West Coast.  You'd have to figure at least one team offered him more than the vet min.  So maybe it wasn't as much about the money for him.

But as someone else already said, I think the term "veteran forward" was the reporters wording, not Danny's.  Ainge wants another veteran big.  Not a wing.

you think scal/ Ta is enough for lebron and other elite 3's when paul goes to the bench? I don't.

I wouldn't really have a problem with a forward who could play the 3.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I'm guessing he went to Phx for more playing team. He has been starting, and he probably wants to set himself up for a better contract next season.

Look at the decline in Posey's numbers with us. Playing with Nash is a good setup for another attempt at free agency, especially following a down season.

I agree with those who believe that the Celtics may be shopping Giddens for the simple fact that you cannot have 16 players on the roster. It is better to trade a player to get an asset than to cut a player if we are planning to add a 16th player.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacques Wamutombo

TP!!!