Author Topic: Could Gabe Pruitt become the next Eddie House?  (Read 15309 times)

Re: Could Gabe Pruitt become the next Eddie House?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Eddie has what you can't teach VET presence.  He knows its his job to come off the bench and shoot to stretch the floor and bring offense to the 2nd unit.  He understands his role AND his limitations.  Eddie isn't the best defensive player but he hustles his ass off to make up for any short comings.  These things can only come with experience and humility.
Gabe can be a better overall player, ceiling isn't replacing eddie which I think is inevitable someday in the future years, his ceiling is as a starter.  ;)
I'd love a starting backcourt of rondo and pruitt years from now when ray is ready to hang in ct with his family.  Gabe has very good defensive game and shot much like rays.  His ball handling skills are very good for a sg and good for a pg.  
he's a keeper either way you look at it

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
A better question is can be a complementary bench player to Rondo? House obviously has flaws in his game, and as good as he's been - and he has been a good bench player for the C's - these flaws mean he's a possible upgrade candidate. Right now my POV is more like Brick's, minus the insulting tone to those who like Gabe. He hasn't played enough minutes to justify the faith some see in him. Many players have hit a few 3PFGs in a (meaningless) December game - let's not over rate his two threes.

On the other hand, it seems Danny likes him, and we should probably give this some credence.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Gabe may not be the next Eddie House but he is more than qualified to be the 3rd string PG, that is for sure.  He has always played very sound fundamental defense, right from his first summer league games.  He knows how to defend the P&R and he can stay in front of most guys.  My question isn't why he doesn't replace House but rather why do we still need Sam Cassell on the roster?  I have been a Gabe fan all along.  I think he is tentative and that is why Doc keeps him on the bench but I say put him in.  He didn't do anything last night that he couldn't do any night.  He can play with the big boys.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
minus the insulting tone

Some people are insulted far too easily, it seems  :-\
God bless and good night!

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Not until he gets a

good one!  TP for u acf

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I think the idea of Pruitt makes a lot more sense for this team than either Eddie House or Tony Allen. On paper, Pruitt is a 6'4" combo guard that can dribble, defend, and shoot. He is a perfect backup for this team at the 1 and the 2: Ray sits down, Pruitt is a shooter. Rondo sits down, Pruit brings the ball up the court. In both instances, he has the size and quickness to play solid team defense.

In actuality, he has not proven it yet so we cannot rely on him in the playoffs this season. Hopefully Doc continues to work him into the rotation so we can see what we have.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

In actuality, he has not proven it yet so we cannot rely on him in the playoffs this season. Hopefully Doc continues to work him into the rotation so we can see what we have.

Thats all I am asking for
to take a look for making my criteria
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I like House. I think he's more of a 2 guard in a 1 guards body. Pruitt looked good in one game. I wouldn't mind seeing him and House together a little bit. Anthing would be better than Scal. Sorry there I go again.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

Thats all I am asking for
to take a look for making my criteria

As a fan, I want to root my team to win, not necessarily experiment with rotations to "see what we have".  I know what we have and that's a 23-2 team.

Let the coaching staff develop and judge fringe players...in practice.

Edit: If he's getting actual in-game time as a trade-bait requisite from another team, then playing Gabe is cool with me.  I can guarantee you though that barring injury, if he's still on the roster, we will not see Pruitt in the playoffs.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Eddie House has one of the purest shots in the NBA, so I would say no. Gabe is a niche shooter and should be a good scorer in the league, but they really don't have much in common. I think Gabe actually can be a more complete player than Eddie, but I don't see the same reckless abandon that Eddie plays with. He makes up for his lack of heighth and deficiencies with heart. Gabe seems smooth though and never really in a rush. That part of his game I think resembles Ray more than anything.

If by "pure" you mean "quick release", "can't create his own shot or hit with a defender on him" and "never saw a shot he didn't like", then yes, Eddie's shot is "pure".

Furthermore, Gabe can definitely be the next Eddie - he's already most of the way there!  (at least he can play some D and dribble over half court by himself...)

Wow. That's some hatred for a guy who has had a huge impact on our team being one of the two productive consistent guys on the second unit. (Powe being the other) Are you using maybe the same assessments that you used in saying TA would never be on an NBA roster again or you'd quit posting?! (glad you didn't follow through with that by the way)

Everyone knows House is a great shooter. He is doing exactly what Doc wants him to and that is to shoot the ball. Very few of his shots are bad shots. He has an assist to turnover ratio of 2-1 second only to Rondo. He is much improved in his bringing the ball up the floor. The stats don't back up your argument. Without him we wouldn't have a second unit. They'd double Powe and dare us to shoot. Oh and TA by the way, leads the second unit in scoring at over 8 per game. Guess you were wrong there as well. (he just isn't consistent)

I don't agree that "very few" of Eddie's shots are bad.  In fact I vehemently disagree.  Mostly every shot where he isn't wide open is bad, the fade aways or the fade-left/rights.  When he comes of a pick and pulls up very quickly, his percentage is must lower (or, at least that's what I've observed - I don't ave the numbers to back it up).  He's not Ray Allen.

Furthermore, in pressure situations House is a notorious choker, even since before he joined the Celtics.  Just think back to his terrible shooting and ballhandling in last year's playoffs.  That's why we signed a 39 yr old PG who can't defend a chair.

In any case, I don't get the infatuation with Gabe.  I guess because he's the quiet little guy to root for.  All I've seen him do in his NBA career was hit wide open threes and play decent defense.  I'll give it to him, his defense on Williams last night was good.

But he's too small to be a shooting guard, hasn't proven that he can create (and make) his own shot, and he is NOT a point guard.  When's the last time he penetrated made a *good* pass?  (i.e. not a lob into KG for a turnaround fadeaway assist - that doesn't count).

Go ahead and watch the percentage Ray hits when he pulls up fading left or right quickly off a pick versus him being square and wide open. He doesn't hit those with the same percentage as his square one's either. The difference though is that House is a streak shooter and when he is hot he can hit those at a decent rate. When House is hot they all go down, when not then he misses those leaning ones. ANY shot he takes square up and open is a great shot. ANY shot (almost) he takes when on fire is a good shot. Yes he should knock down a shot first before trying an off the screen leaner, but that's what is so great about House. He thinks he can make them all.

As far as your big shot comments below, I remember very clearly a couple really big ones in the finals that he hit in the end that were huge to us. I don't know how much bigger you get than that. Face it. You don't like the guy and no matter what he does you won't change your mind. Just like TA.

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
I'm not denying I'm not a House or Allen fan, and it's basically for the same reason: both are chokers.

House has a history of being unclutch.  He hit ONE three that mattered in the Finals, but was conspicously absent the rest of the playoffs.  He's not a go-to guy.  And I won't even talk about TA when it comes to that...

But seriously, Pruitt is another in this mold.  He hasn't shown he can "take over" when it counts.  This is something we KNOW Cassell can do.  We saw it in Pierce and hell even Joe Johnson back in the day.

Pruitt and House don't have it, sorry.  But I digress..

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm not denying I'm not a House or Allen fan, and it's basically for the same reason: both are chokers.

House has a history of being unclutch.  He hit ONE three that mattered in the Finals, but was conspicously absent the rest of the playoffs.  He's not a go-to guy.  And I won't even talk about TA when it comes to that...

But seriously, Pruitt is another in this mold.  He hasn't shown he can "take over" when it counts.  This is something we KNOW Cassell can do.  We saw it in Pierce and hell even Joe Johnson back in the day.

Pruitt and House don't have it, sorry.  But I digress..

so the 3 threes in the comeback don't count as clutch? nor the two to finally get us over the hump with a man in his face and the shot clock down?

and none of the baskets in game 6 count because it was a blowout?

And his great defensive play in game seven that lead to a five point swing and showed up that sally wally also wern't clutch?

also, thats something i knew sam cassell of 4-5 years ago could do. current over the hill sam has given me no reason to belive its still true. He did give me alot to say it wasen't though, namely his play until his minutes got yanked.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gabe Pruitt a poor man's Eddie House?  So a poor man's journeyman?

That means he'll probably be playing in Europe at some point.

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

That's all I've been trying to say whilst being trolled.  TP.

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That's all I've been trying to say whilst being trolled.  TP.

The guy might not be in the NBA by the time the trade deadline comes around.  If PJ comes back or if we sign a guy like Mutumbo... or even Marbury... Pruitt will be one of the most likely to be cut.