Author Topic: Neemias Queta starting to attract notice  (Read 4589 times)

Re: Neemias Queta starting to attract notice
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2023, 06:19:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Gabriel has 4 years of experience so they can't sign him to a 2-way.

However, if they want to keep Gabriel around and not cut him - they could make Lamar Stevens a 2 way player?  If he would accept it. He only has 3 years service time. That would allow them to open up that 15th roster spot without cutting anyone.

I didn't realize that. That's a tough blow to Gabriel's chances of staying on.

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2023, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Re: Neemias Queta starting to attract notice. What about Gabriel?
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2023, 10:51:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I missed the Philly game, but I didn't think he was too impressive in the Knicks game.

Speaking of young bigs, I was disappointed in Wenyan Gabriel showing vs. the Knicks. He brought energy but collected 5 fouls in 2 minutes. Bit of a surprise after hearing he contributed nicely to LAL last year (LeBron gave a complement).

10 x better vs Philly. No stupid fouls. Looked comfortable on both ends.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2023, 04:29:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I missed the Philly game, but I didn't think he was too impressive in the Knicks game.

Speaking of young bigs, I was disappointed in Wenyan Gabriel showing vs. the Knicks. He brought energy but collected 5 fouls in 2 minutes. Bit of a surprise after hearing he contributed nicely to LAL last year (LeBron gave a complement).

10 x better vs Philly. No stupid fouls. Looked comfortable on both ends.

100% I think his first performance against the Knicks was because he was overeager, sat on the bench watching others play most of the game, then he got on and as just too enthusiastic and uncontrolled too keen to show what he could do. He was a lot more composed his second time around.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 09:36:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
100% I think his first performance against the Knicks was because he was overeager, sat on the bench watching others play most of the game, then he got on and as just too enthusiastic and uncontrolled too keen to show what he could do. He was a lot more composed his second time around.

Good to hear that regarding Gabriel.  He was all over the place vs. NYK.  I only saw parts of the second PHI game and didn't see either play.  I really like how Gabriel moved, especially when he switched off P&Rs, his quickness was stunning.  He was just smothering whoever the guard was.  He otherwise looked like a G-League player.  Glad to hear he was better his second game.

With Queta on a 2-way contract, I see no reason for the Celtics to change that and convert him to a regular roster spot, no matter how well he plays, at least not for now.  There should be plenty of opportunity to keep him in Boston and active.  And if not, some play in Portland can't hurt.

As to Gabriel, I am not sure he is any better than Kornet as a 3rd string big.  We have 13 roster contracts right now with Stevens and Gabriel on camp deals so Gabriel could be signed (likely with minimal guarantees) without waiving anyone.  I actually like the idea of starting the season with 14 contracts allowing an open spot for 2-way guys and roster flexibility as players become available (plus we have the TPE).  So the question is do we need Kornet and Gabriel and Queta?  Similarly, do we need Stevens and Banton and Mykhailiuk (and Walsh and Hauser and Brissett)?

My gut feeling is that if Gabriel isn't clearly better than Kornet and Queta, he probably is not signed.  To make the team, he has to show he is better than either of them, and maybe he is.  Queta is set as a 2-way, he isn't going anywhere.  And Kornet is what he is but reliable.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2023, 09:49:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Good to hear that regarding Gabriel.  He was all over the place vs. NYK.  I only saw parts of the second PHI game and didn't see either play.  I really like how Gabriel moved, especially when he switched off P&Rs, his quickness was stunning.  He was just smothering whoever the guard was.  He otherwise looked like a G-League player.  Glad to hear he was better his second game.

With Queta on a 2-way contract, I see no reason for the Celtics to change that and convert him to a regular roster spot, no matter how well he plays, at least not for now.  There should be plenty of opportunity to keep him in Boston and active.  And if not, some play in Portland can't hurt.

As to Gabriel, I am not sure he is any better than Kornet as a 3rd string big.  We have 13 roster contracts right now with Stevens and Gabriel on camp deals so Gabriel could be signed (likely with minimal guarantees) without waiving anyone.  I actually like the idea of starting the season with 14 contracts allowing an open spot for 2-way guys and roster flexibility as players become available (plus we have the TPE).  So the question is do we need Kornet and Gabriel and Queta?  Similarly, do we need Stevens and Banton and Mykhailiuk (and Walsh and Hauser and Brissett)?

My gut feeling is that if Gabriel isn't clearly better than Kornet and Queta, he probably is not signed.  To make the team, he has to show he is better than either of them, and maybe he is.  Queta is set as a 2-way, he isn't going anywhere.  And Kornet is what he is but reliable.

Yes the athleticism is all there, but he's clearly a project, so he's expendable if it doesn't work out.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2023, 11:23:15 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
If ever Queta improves as the season progresses and he somehow  overtakes Luke as the third big, is there a deadline when his contract can be converted in order to make him eligible for the playoffs?

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 11:24:51 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
If ever Queta improves as the season progresses and he somehow  overtakes Luke as the third big, is there a deadline when his contract can be converted in order to make him eligible for the playoffs?

Last day of the season.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
How many call up days does two-way get?

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2023, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Up to 50 I believe.  And that is based on the player being active for the game.  It doesn't matter if they play or not.  If they are dressed and active, it counts against the limit.  That offers plenty of flexibility.  It is very favorable for the Celtics to have him on a 2-way contract.  I definitely don't see that changing at a minimum up to the trade deadline and probably not even then.

If he totally surprises and plays so well that you are starting to think he would be useful on the playoff roster, it would probably be good to convert him before the last game of the season, just to get him integrated, but there is no reason to rush.

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2023, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

Last day of the season.

Thanks and TP.

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2023, 02:23:05 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

Up to 50 I believe.  And that is based on the player being active for the game.  It doesn't matter if they play or not.  If they are dressed and active, it counts against the limit.  That offers plenty of flexibility.  It is very favorable for the Celtics to have him on a 2-way contract.  I definitely don't see that changing at a minimum up to the trade deadline and probably not even then.

If he totally surprises and plays so well that you are starting to think he would be useful on the playoff roster, it would probably be good to convert him before the last game of the season, just to get him integrated, but there is no reason to rush.

This is the perfect situation for the Cs. Kudos to Brad. Queta seems to be really happy here. Let’s see if he plays well enough to merit a regular slot.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 07:24:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I was looking for Gabriel to make an impact in the preseaon but I've definitely been more impressed with Queta so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008