Author Topic: Horford to start?  (Read 7674 times)

Re: Horford to start?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2023, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I honestly can't think of a single good reason to start Horford over Derrick White.

White is younger and better at everything on offense except for maybe the corner three. He's second team All-Defense and even a better rim protector than Horford at this point. He had the best plus-minus in the Eastern Conference.

If we have Horford come off the bench, that means there's always a strong big coming in for Porzingis. It means more minutes for Pritchard and fewer for Kornet, which is a win.

Also, if we start Horford, that means we'll be going back and forth between a big lineup and a small lineup every time Al or Porzingis have to sit during a back-to-back.

I mean, showing respect for a trusted veteran is the best excuse I can come up with for starting Horford, but the Celtics are simply a better team when Derrick White is on the floor.
Because it puts Brown at SG and Tatum at SF which gives Boston an immense advantage.  It also keeps them fresher with less wear since they will be matched up against smaller players with less time in the paint.  Because Tatum is at his best at SF on both ends and he is Boston's best player.  So by maximizing Tatum, you maximize the team
I also agree with JJ and Moranis. The bolded part is really the key.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 02:20:25 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2023, 04:16:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I honestly can't think of a single good reason to start Horford over Derrick White.

White is younger and better at everything on offense except for maybe the corner three. He's second team All-Defense and even a better rim protector than Horford at this point. He had the best plus-minus in the Eastern Conference.

If we have Horford come off the bench, that means there's always a strong big coming in for Porzingis. It means more minutes for Pritchard and fewer for Kornet, which is a win.

Also, if we start Horford, that means we'll be going back and forth between a big lineup and a small lineup every time Al or Porzingis have to sit during a back-to-back.

I mean, showing respect for a trusted veteran is the best excuse I can come up with for starting Horford, but the Celtics are simply a better team when Derrick White is on the floor.
Because it puts Brown at SG and Tatum at SF which gives Boston an immense advantage.  It also keeps them fresher with less wear since they will be matched up against smaller players with less time in the paint.  Because Tatum is at his best at SF on both ends and he is Boston's best player.  So by maximizing Tatum, you maximize the team
It also means that we never or hardly ever get the two big, which is BAD.  I know what people are trying to do given what the Celts have in terms of the reserves.  But the small lineup full time will be exposed.

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2023, 04:39:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
I’ve loved every minute I’ve seen of White and Holliday on the court together so far. Let’s do more of that. 
Yup

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 04:44:19 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1455

It also means that we never or hardly ever get the two big, which is BAD.  I know what people are trying to do given what the Celts have in terms of the reserves.  But the small lineup full time will be exposed.

White and Holiday are both 6’4”, Brown is 6’6”, Tatum is at least 6’8”, and Porzingis is 7’3”. How is that a small lineup?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 04:54:32 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Horford needs to come off the bench. I think a lot of people forget, but last season they load managed him especially on back-to-back games, and despite that he still looked off in the postseason and at times looked like he was laboring. Maybe he was dealing with an injury, but at the same time Horford is getting up there with age. I think he should primarily come off the bench. He can still occasionally start some games when guys are hurt, or resting, but not often.

White-Holiday-Jaylen-Tatum-Porzingis, Horford/Pritchard/Hauser/Walsh off the bench, and any mix of Gabriel/Brissett/Kornet/Svi behind them.

I’m with you on everything except Walsh somehow sneaking into the top 9 of the rotation.  That’s Brissett’s spot for now.  Walsh needs a little seasoning, although he’ll get his shot sometime.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2023, 05:08:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

Uh, I disagree with JJ, I was responding to his opening statement of he can't think of a reason to start Horford.  I provided several of them.  Horford should start.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2023, 05:10:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Horford needs to come off the bench. I think a lot of people forget, but last season they load managed him especially on back-to-back games, and despite that he still looked off in the postseason and at times looked like he was laboring. Maybe he was dealing with an injury, but at the same time Horford is getting up there with age. I think he should primarily come off the bench. He can still occasionally start some games when guys are hurt, or resting, but not often.

White-Holiday-Jaylen-Tatum-Porzingis, Horford/Pritchard/Hauser/Walsh off the bench, and any mix of Gabriel/Brissett/Kornet/Svi behind them.
It is often better for older players to start because they can start the game not completely cold from sitting on the bench.  I think Horford should start and play 5 or so minutes and then White should come in for him.  Horford should come back around 10 minutes left for the Zinger to get him some rest at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd, then Zinger comes back in around 7 minutes left and finishes out the half.  Do the same thing in the 2nd half.  Gives Horford around 24 minutes, but minimizes the amount of time he has to enter coming off the bench for several minutes. 

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2023, 05:14:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

White and Holiday are both 6’4”, Brown is 6’6”, Tatum is at least 6’8”, and Porzingis is 7’3”. How is that a small lineup?
Two wings, two guards, and one big.  That’s a small lineup regardless of how how they are.  I think the defense especially will suffer.

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2023, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827

Two wings, two guards, and one big.  That’s a small lineup regardless of how how they are.  I think the defense especially will suffer.

Both guards All-Defense, both wings All-NBA, and a big that is a unicorn and has been an all-star.  If healthy, I'm not concerned at all with Big Al coming off the bench.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2023, 06:15:05 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

It is often better for older players to start because they can start the game not completely cold from sitting on the bench.  I think Horford should start and play 5 or so minutes and then White should come in for him.  Horford should come back around 10 minutes left for the Zinger to get him some rest at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd, then Zinger comes back in around 7 minutes left and finishes out the half.  Do the same thing in the 2nd half.  Gives Horford around 24 minutes, but minimizes the amount of time he has to enter coming off the bench for several minutes.

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2023, 08:16:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3021
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah that makes sense. Mazzulla and the team have options. I just wish we had a real 3rd big, then I'd feel very good about our 8-man rotation including Pritchard in that group. Hopefully someone like Gabriel can maybe step up into that role
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2023, 08:22:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1455

90% of teams in the NBA don’t use a “double big” starting lineup. Tatum is a modern day 4. Horford and Porzingis are modern 5’s.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2023, 08:25:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

White can guard Butler very well. He may be a guard on paper, but his (All NBA) defense and even rim protection makes him atypical to draw these easy conclusions about size disadvantage.

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
90% of teams in the NBA don’t use a “double big” starting lineup. Tatum is a modern day 4. Horford and Porzingis are modern 5’s.

I am not so sure about this.  Didn't the GM just vote that Tatum was the best SF in the league?  Not the best modern day PF (or 4) but SF.  Giannis was voted the best PF.  But it is Tatum who is a modern day PF?  I don't believe this is true nor do I believe that only 10% of NBA teams play "2-big" line up.  I will note that Durant did get 1 vote for best PF (probably the MIL GM) but Tatum did not get even 1 vote as a PF.  SF is Tatum's natural position and he is the best SF in the league.  Why would you not play him as a SF?

To me, you can make a parallel to football.  Sometimes teams play with 2 TEs.  Usually 1 TE is the core line up.  Sometimes No TEs but 5 receivers.  But TEs are still TEs and WRs are still WRs.  Just because a basketball team decides to play with an extra wing does not mean that that wing is a PF.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:43:44 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

but Denver,  Milwaukee, GS, and LAL do (or at least GS did, not sure this year).  And Harris in Philly isn't exactly small as PF.  Cleveland goes big as well. Miami, LAC, and maybe Phoenix are really the only good team that go small.