Author Topic: In hindsight, do we keep Grant?  (Read 3751 times)

Re: In hindsight, do we keep Grant?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think part of the issue wasn’t just money but playing time as well. Grant was gonna get like $15 mil to be 4th string guy (Horford/Porzingis/Williams)? Think he wanted to get paid and get minutes. Also didn’t think he jived with Mazzulla.

I think a lot of that is true, but keep in mind that he was restricted.  If Brad wanted him back, he'd be here.
I don’t disagree that they “could” have matched. I think it really boiled down to a combo of money and dealing with a possibly disgruntled player in terms of playing time and usage. Once KP came on aboard, it sort of lessened the need for a big man shooter/defender.

Yeah.  This thread is really just theoretical, hindsight is 20/20, etc.

It's basically asking, if we knew we were making the KP and Jrue trades, would we have kept Grant.  That doesn't negate the reasons why we passed on signing him in the first place, but those things have now changed.

My guess:  we keep him, at least in the short-term.  I do think we would have looked to trade him for a different type of big man on a shorter contract.  I think the analysis about our depth and salary implications would have changed.  At this point, we need to be "all in".
Yes, I agree. Thought the Pritchard extension talks were interesting news tid bit. Maybe learned a lesson from not extending guys sooner to keep for potential salary matching in trades?

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 11:37:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think part of the issue wasn’t just money but playing time as well. Grant was gonna get like $15 mil to be 4th string guy (Horford/Porzingis/Williams)? Think he wanted to get paid and get minutes. Also didn’t think he jived with Mazzulla.

I think a lot of that is true, but keep in mind that he was restricted.  If Brad wanted him back, he'd be here.
I don’t disagree that they “could” have matched. I think it really boiled down to a combo of money and dealing with a possibly disgruntled player in terms of playing time and usage. Once KP came on aboard, it sort of lessened the need for a big man shooter/defender.

It's basically asking, if we knew we were making the KP and Jrue trades, would we have kept Grant.  That doesn't negate the reasons why we passed on signing him in the first place, but those things have now changed.

My guess:  we keep him, at least in the short-term.  I do think we would have looked to trade him for a different type of big man on a shorter contract.  I think the analysis about our depth and salary implications would have changed.  At this point, we need to be "all in".
Yes, I agree. Thought the Pritchard extension talks were interesting news tid bit. Maybe learned a lesson from not extending guys sooner to keep for potential salary matching in trades?

It will be interesting to see going forward, because if we're a second apron team next year, we won't be able to aggregate salaries in trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 11:39:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think the point that Brad and Co are wrestling with, is what point in the season we need to be all-in. Do we need to exceed the 2nd apron before the season starts on insurance signings? Or do we wait until the trade deadline, after a couple of months of games, where it might become obvious what our needs would be, depending on form or injuries. My feeling is they will sit tight and wait to see how this new team gels, or whether Horford can still handle Embiid and Giannis in a one-big lineup, or if anyone gets injured. Grant might have been a "nice to have" at $18m a year if you look at it that way.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 11:39:59 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
At the time of the Grant Williams S&T, he obviously had no idea that he'd be trading Timelord and that our depth would take a bit of a hit.  Now, though, it seems like the Celtics have gone "all in". 

In hindsight, would Brad have kept Grant?  Or would he have still made the S&T?

I think he would have kept him and see how things went .

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 04:55:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Hard to see how they could afford to pay G Williams after taking on Jrue's & Porzingis' contracts. Too much money tied up in the Big 4. Then D White as a 5th.

The cost of him (pay + luxury tax payments) relative to his value on the court wouldn't be worth it.

In purely sporting terms, you'd love to have him but financially I do not think it would have been viable.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Wasn't it an outrageous figure to keep him once you added luxury tax payments? I understand paying extra for star players, but not role players that don't want to stay, don't like their role, and doesn't get along with the coach.

Don't get me wrong, I really valued Grant's durability, strength, and combination of defense and outside shooting. However, I also think that sometimes you do have to just let somebody go if they don't want to be here. Deep down, he wasn't going to be happy with his role here and you can't just keep a guy in that situation forever just to "keep the asset."

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 08:06:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
We always should have kept Grant at that money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 08:27:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Jordan Walsh is Grant II.  Not exactly the same player but personality-wise they seem pretty alike

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I wanted to keep Grant. I thought he would maybe get 12M a year (he obviously did better). But, I am no cap expert, and now we are so top-loaded even though he would be a very helpful 3rd big (even though he is maybe 6 foot 6), idk how we could make it work money wise. I really would love the Jrue trade if he was 3 years younger. 34 for a guard... yikes.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2023, 10:29:34 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
I wanted to keep Grant. I thought he would maybe get 12M a year (he obviously did better). But, I am no cap expert, and now we are so top-loaded even though he would be a very helpful 3rd big (even though he is maybe 6 foot 6), idk how we could make it work money wise. I really would love the Jrue trade if he was 3 years younger. 34 for a guard... yikes.

How about 2 years younger?  He is actually 33, will turn 34 next June.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2023, 10:34:54 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Sorry, sir-- unclear what your point is. He will be 34 during this season. I would prefer he was turning 30. He may only have 1 or 2 good years left (hope I'm wrong). You splitting hairs over a few months in age may be green tinted glassed at play. I'm a Homer too but I look at things objectively. The big 3 (with pierce kg ray) was basically cooked after 2 years together. Most don't age like LeBron.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2023, 10:44:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sorry, sir-- unclear what your point is. He will be 34 during this season. I would prefer he was turning 30. He may only have 1 or 2 good years left (hope I'm wrong). You splitting hairs over a few months in age may be green tinted glassed at play. I'm a Homer too but I look at things objectively. The big 3 (with pierce kg ray) was basically cooked after 2 years together. Most don't age like LeBron.
It’s not splitting hairs, he won’t be 34 until the next Finals.

We’ve been well served by the fossil that is Al Horford
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2023, 10:47:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
We always should have kept Grant at that money.

Even if he annoyed the other players? I'm not sure if this actually happened, but there were rumors.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Jordan Walsh is Grant II.  Not exactly the same player but personality-wise they seem pretty alike

I think Jordan Walsh is going to contribute immediately on defense. Great pick.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2023, 11:07:36 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

It’s not splitting hairs, he won’t be 34 until the next Finals.

We’ve been well served by the fossil that is Al Horford

To each their own but to me it is splitting hairs. Dude has a lot of miles under him and most PGs donr get better at 34, 35, 36.