Author Topic: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel  (Read 10732 times)

Re: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2023, 11:09:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Dwight Howard anyone?  I don't want him in our regular rotation.  But there are to potentially valuable roles: (10 when one of our bigs gets hurt, he plays real minutes for ~10 games.  (2) He plays against Embiid.
Not sure why people keep bringing up Howard. He’s an awful teammate. He’s bounced from team to team the last few years and everyone of them has kicked him out the door and not brought him back. He’s not worth the headache and he’s honestly probably washed at this point.

He also doesn't make much sense for a team trying to toe the second apron - owing to his tenure in the league he's more expensive than someone who's probably his equivalent on the court, based on what I've seen of him over the last couple of years.

On a one year vet min contract (which is probably what he would get), his cap hold would be equal to a vet min for someone with 3 years of experience. So unless you see him as only as good as a rookie or sophomore minimum salary player, he'd cost just as much as his equivalent

Given his locker room issues, though, he still wouldn't be worth it
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2023, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ultimately, I think Brad is fine rolling with what they have (maybe Griffin doesn't retire and comes back on a vet. minimum), and his plan is to use a bunch of the future 2nd round picks to acquire some cheap PF/C at next season's deadline (or buyout market)

Lets be real, all they care about is playoffs which is completely fair. They can survive the regular season with the likes of Kornet, Gabriel, maybe Griffin as depth.

If Brad signs a couple of these guys now, trades them at the deadline (with cash and/or a 2nd), and then signs a couple of vets to pro-rated contracts midseason, would that help keep us under the 2nd apron or was there a change in the CBA that doesn't allow this anymore?

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2023, 12:07:00 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Ultimately, I think Brad is fine rolling with what they have (maybe Griffin doesn't retire and comes back on a vet. minimum), and his plan is to use a bunch of the future 2nd round picks to acquire some cheap PF/C at next season's deadline (or buyout market)

Lets be real, all they care about is playoffs which is completely fair. They can survive the regular season with the likes of Kornet, Gabriel, maybe Griffin as depth.

If Brad signs a couple of these guys now, trades them at the deadline (with cash and/or a 2nd), and then signs a couple of vets to pro-rated contracts midseason, would that help keep us under the 2nd apron or was there a change in the CBA that doesn't allow this anymore?

As long as we’re under the second apron we can do that. If we’re over, we can’t trade cash and can’t sign buyouts (but can sign other free agents) although it’s not clear to me if that restriction starts next year or this because of the phase-in.

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We seem to be getting cheap high energy guys who are active and scrappy.

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2023, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

As long as we’re under the second apron we can do that. If we’re over, we can’t trade cash and can’t sign buyouts (but can sign other free agents) although it’s not clear to me if that restriction starts next year or this because of the phase-in.
First day of the next offseason, I believe.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
LeBron is a fan:

“Wenyen gives us great energy and the best thing about Wenyen is he loves to be held accountable,” James said. “He doesn’t mind me going after him if he makes mistakes, or when he’s great, I always big him up. He’s been great for us all year and it was another moment tonight. He was just huge for us in the minutes that he had.”

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2023, 04:32:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Biyombo is as close to a dollar-shop Timelord as it gets, would love to bring him in on a minimum deal.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2023, 11:45:57 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
We seem to be getting cheap high energy guys who are active and scrappy.

Yeah, that's exactly who Gabriel is.

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Biyombo is as close to a dollar-shop Timelord as it gets, would love to bring him in on a minimum deal.

Here are the vet mins for this year by years of service:

Code: [Select]
Years of experience Minimum salary for 2023-24
0 $1.1 million
1 $1.8 million
2 $2.01 million
3 $2.09 million
4 $2.1 million
5 $2.3 million
6 $2.5 million
7 $2.7 million
8 $2.8 million
9 $2.9 million
10+ $3.1 million

So Bismack would cost us $3.1m, which would put us over the 2nd apron.  Especially if we kept Gabriel and Lamar Stevens at $2m each. We would probably have to renounce Kornet ($2.4m), Mykhailiuk ($2m) and Banton ($2m) to afford Bismack, Gabriel and Stevens.

This is assuming we want to stay under it this year. There's a debate in another thread about whether there's value in going over it this year because the penalties don't kick in until next year. I guess we would be penalized for next year if we were over it by end of season this year? I'm not 100% on the timings.

This is what being a basketball fan has come down to...worrying about dollars and cents and nickel and diming...why can't we just have nice things [dang it]  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

0 $1.1 million
1 $1.8 million
2 $2.01 million
3 $2.09 million
4 $2.1 million
5 $2.3 million
6 $2.5 million
7 $2.7 million
8 $2.8 million
9 $2.9 million
10+ $3.1 million

So Bismack would cost us $3.1m, which would put us over the 2nd apron.  Especially if we kept Gabriel and Lamar Stevens at $2m each. We would probably have to renounce Kornet ($2.4m), Mykhailiuk ($2m) and Banton ($2m) to afford Bismack, Gabriel and Stevens.

This is assuming we want to stay under it this year. There's a debate in another thread about whether there's value in going over it this year because the penalties don't kick in until next year. I guess we would be penalized for next year if we were over it by end of season this year? I'm not 100% on the timings.

This is what being a basketball fan has come down to...worrying about dollars and cents and nickel and diming...why can't we just have nice things [dang it]  :police:

If it's a one year deal, he'd cost us $2.01 million, as the league subsidizes the remainder of one-year vet minimum deals.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

0 $1.1 million
1 $1.8 million
2 $2.01 million
3 $2.09 million
4 $2.1 million
5 $2.3 million
6 $2.5 million
7 $2.7 million
8 $2.8 million
9 $2.9 million
10+ $3.1 million

If it's a one year deal, he'd cost us $2.01 million, as the league subsidizes the remainder of one-year vet minimum deals.

And they do it for these exact scenarios; they pre specifically, the player's union) don't want teams prioritizing younger players over established ones just to save money
I'm bitter.

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

0 $1.1 million
1 $1.8 million
2 $2.01 million
3 $2.09 million
4 $2.1 million
5 $2.3 million
6 $2.5 million
7 $2.7 million
8 $2.8 million
9 $2.9 million
10+ $3.1 million

Great news…we might be able to keep Kornet then  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I am happy enough to get Gabriel, I don't see him as much better than Kornet though.  More of a PF than C so positionally a good fit, but still 3rd string, end of bench guy.  Nothing wrong with that, need 3rd string end of bench guys too.

But I don't get the excitement about Biyombo,  He shot 37% FT% last season, yes that is free throws.  He is a career 53%.  If you tell me you want Biyombo over Kornet, I guess, maybe, but I don't see him anywhere but end of the bench.  I think Gabriel (PF) and Kornet (C) for the end of the bench is fine.  Then work on getting a better big with the TPE sometime along the way.

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2023, 02:41:53 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but apparently Wenyen Gabriel is from Manchester NH and was a C’s fan growing up. Cool stuff.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:49:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2023, 03:38:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I am happy enough to get Gabriel, I don't see him as much better than Kornet though.  More of a PF than C so positionally a good fit, but still 3rd string, end of bench guy.  Nothing wrong with that, need 3rd string end of bench guys too.

But I don't get the excitement about Biyombo,  He shot 37% FT% last season, yes that is free throws.  He is a career 53%.  If you tell me you want Biyombo over Kornet, I guess, maybe, but I don't see him anywhere but end of the bench.  I think Gabriel (PF) and Kornet (C) for the end of the bench is fine.  Then work on getting a better big with the TPE sometime along the way.

I think Gabriel played most of his minutes last year as a center.