Author Topic: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel  (Read 10727 times)

Re: C’s sign Wenyen Gabriel
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2023, 11:56:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dwight Howard anyone?  I don't want him in our regular rotation.  But there are to potentially valuable roles: (10 when one of our bigs gets hurt, he plays real minutes for ~10 games.  (2) He plays against Embiid.

There is a written law somewhere in Boston that says Howard and Boogie C shall never play on a Celtics team.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2023, 03:16:45 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
 Is Bismack Biyombo still available? He would be the closest to a timelord replacement
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2023, 03:51:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Is Bismack Biyombo still available? He would be the closest to a timelord replacement

He is, only 31 too.

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2023, 05:06:08 AM »

Offline Lakers are the Best

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Plays hard. High energy and good rebounding. Seems to have a good attitude. I am glad he got picked up somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:17:38 AM by Lakers are the Best »

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2023, 05:37:18 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Dwight Howard anyone?  I don't want him in our regular rotation.  But there are to potentially valuable roles: (10 when one of our bigs gets hurt, he plays real minutes for ~10 games.  (2) He plays against Embiid.
Not sure why people keep bringing up Howard. He’s an awful teammate. He’s bounced from team to team the last few years and everyone of them has kicked him out the door and not brought him back. He’s not worth the headache and he’s honestly probably washed at this point.

He also doesn't make much sense for a team trying to toe the second apron - owing to his tenure in the league he's more expensive than someone who's probably his equivalent on the court, based on what I've seen of him over the last couple of years.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2023, 06:00:00 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414

He is, only 31 too.
Only 31? Thought he be 40 by now lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2023, 06:08:28 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Not sure why people keep bringing up Howard. He’s an awful teammate. He’s bounced from team to team the last few years and everyone of them has kicked him out the door and not brought him back. He’s not worth the headache and he’s honestly probably washed at this point.

He also doesn't make much sense for a team trying to toe the second apron - owing to his tenure in the league he's more expensive than someone who's probably his equivalent on the court, based on what I've seen of him over the last couple of years.

On a one year vet min contract (which is probably what he would get), his cap hold would be equal to a vet min for someone with 3 years of experience. So unless you see him as only as good as a rookie or sophomore minimum salary player, he'd cost just as much as his equivalent

Given his locker room issues, though, he still wouldn't be worth it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2023, 07:04:34 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
i'm worried about our bigs rotation.

granted Rob only was going to play half a season most likely so it doesn't change much

Al horford is old and needs to be rested. and Porzingus has his own injury history.

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is if Brad has gone all in like this he has to have a plan for a viable big to come in. I do not think Kornet is an every game rotation player. I would rather see Gabriel do that.

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2023, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
My guess is if Brad has gone all in like this he has to have a plan for a viable big to come in. I do not think Kornet is an every game rotation player. I would rather see Gabriel do that.
Gabriel is only a camp contract, right?
Kornet is not an NBA-level player, in my opinion.

The alternative to bringing in another big is a PF rotation of Tatum, Stevens, Hauser, Brissett keeping the center position as KP and Horford.

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2023, 10:53:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Wenyen Gabriel played 15 minutes per game for a fairly deep Lakers team last year. He's a solid low minutes energy big. He'll come in at the end of quarters and wreak havoc. At least that's what I see his role as. Energy guys like him come in and make sure there's no dip at the end of quarters ( the first 3 quarters...). We could've used him last year.

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2023, 11:00:36 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wenyen Gabriel played 15 minutes per game for a fairly deep Lakers team last year. He's a solid low minutes energy big. He'll come in at the end of quarters and wreak havoc. At least that's what I see his role as. Energy guys like him come in and make sure there's no dip at the end of quarters ( the first 3 quarters...). We could've used him last year.

Agree. He is better than Kornet

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Ultimately, I think Brad is fine rolling with what they have (maybe Griffin doesn't retire and comes back on a vet. minimum), and his plan is to use a bunch of the future 2nd round picks to acquire some cheap PF/C at next season's deadline (or buyout market)

Lets be real, all they care about is playoffs which is completely fair. They can survive the regular season with the likes of Kornet, Gabriel, maybe Griffin as depth.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Equating to banner 17, we need bench contributors like Eddie House, PJ Brown, and James Posey (particularly House and Posey).  I think we can get the House contribution from Pritchard.  If Gabriel can give us a little PJ and a little Posey, that would be great.  Hauser hopefully can be a plus as well.  Adding Bullock feels like he may provide a touch of Posey.   Also - I think the addition of Holiday helps create the type of team mindset that could lead the C's to sustaining leads and finishing games. 

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2023, 11:03:58 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71

He is, only 31 too.

Here he is matched up against embiid (exactly what we need him for) and has a really great game!! I would feel really good if we sign him and gabriel!

https://youtu.be/2Gj5LfNvPJY?si=gYMYr1of7Z3nDeHq
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd