Author Topic: Doc Rivers: “I want Ray Allen at KG’s jersey retirement in Boston”  (Read 5584 times)

Re: Doc Rivers: “I want Ray Allen at KG’s jersey retirement in Boston”
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 03:40:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
why does he get a say? Didint he run off at the first sign of rebuild?

Did you just read the title and reply?

Its not about the retirement ceremony, its about mending the fences between his players. He's kinda like their father, and it feels like if they are going to make up, its going to be with his help.

Well he is not their father. The reason the whole Allen thing stings in my opinion is because he won a title in Miami, and he was VERY instrumental in that win. That makes what his team mates consider to be a betrayal sting even more. I bet you if Allen had bombed out in Miami they are probably friends again and they are teasing him. The fact that he has scoreboard and a ring stings. Just my opinion.

Are you purposely being obtuse? Or is that natural?

Its not having a "Say". He isn't ordering anyone, nor is he making conditions. "Want" in this case is the same as a fan saying "I want Danny to sign a Big". The fan does not have a say, but its perfectly fine for him to voice out his desire.

Also, can you at least try to properly read? I never said he was their actual father. He is a LIKE a father to them.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 03:48:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
Full disclosure, I don't think the Celts should retire KG's number. He did something important in Boston, but history will remember him as a member of the Timberwolves and he wasn't a Celtic long enough to warrant his number being raised to the rafters.

Being remembered as a member of another team doesnt disqualify you from receiving these accolades. There's no rule that says you can only be retired by one franchise. Im pretty confident Lebron is going to be retired by both the Cavs and the Heat. This is the same for Wilt and Kareem.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If we're going to retire KG's number then I think we need to retire Ray's as well. He was as much a part of the culture change and the championship as anyone. In fact he was the one who sacrificed his numbers the most. He went from 26ppg to 18ppg and willingly took less touches to help the team be successful. It's been what, 10 years since he went to Miami? Too long to keep hating someone.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 04:16:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Its not about the retirement ceremony, its about mending the fences between his players. He's kinda like their father, and it feels like if they are going to make up, its going to be with his help.

Well he is not their father. The reason the whole Allen thing stings in my opinion is because he won a title in Miami, and he was VERY instrumental in that win. That makes what his team mates consider to be a betrayal sting even more. I bet you if Allen had bombed out in Miami they are probably friends again and they are teasing him. The fact that he has scoreboard and a ring stings. Just my opinion.

Its not having a "Say". He isn't ordering anyone, nor is he making conditions. "Want" in this case is the same as a fan saying "I want Danny to sign a Big". The fan does not have a say, but its perfectly fine for him to voice out his desire.

Also, can you at least try to properly read? I never said he was their actual father. He is a LIKE a father to them.  ::)

My posts stand as written. I will not join you in abusive posts. Feel free to ignore my posts if you do not find them to your standards. I believe this blog has rules against the insults in your posts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:36:52 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 05:08:48 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

My posts stand as written. I will not join you in abusive posts. Feel free to ignore my posts if you do not find them to your stand. I believe this blog has rules against the insults in your posts.

You are purposely twisting my points. Its called baiting. You do not even address it properly.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 05:13:04 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm not holding a grudge against Ray. He accepted less money in hopes that he would maximize his chances of winning a 2nd championship. And you know what? His bet paid off. He won a 2nd championship. He even hit one of the most iconic shots in NBA history while playing for the Heat. If it weren't for him, it's possible that the Heat would have lost.

Hats off to Ray for a legendary career. One of the best shooters in NBA history.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:00:22 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No Traitor Ray

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 10:46:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It'd be nice to see Allen show up, but I doubt he will.  I don't think those wounds are healing any time soon.  I'd be surprised if KG even wants him there anyway.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'm not holding a grudge against Ray. He accepted less money in hopes that he would maximize his chances of winning a 2nd championship. And you know what? His bet paid off. He won a 2nd championship. He even hit one of the most iconic shots in NBA history while playing for the Heat. If it weren't for him, it's possible that the Heat would have lost.

Hats off to Ray for a legendary career. One of the best shooters in NBA history.

That’s all fine and dandy, but the players he left that were still trying to win here don’t share your opinion.

Personally, I don’t think Ray belongs there. I didn’t feel he should have been at Pierce’s, so I certainly don’t think he should be at Garnett’s (if I recall correctly, Pierce buried the hatchet with Ray already, whereas Garnett clearly doesn’t want to). I understand where Doc is coming from, but I think everyone would be pretty uncomfortable if he actually showed up.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we're going to retire KG's number then I think we need to retire Ray's as well. He was as much a part of the culture change and the championship as anyone.

I still like Ray. I’d be fine if we retired his name or number.  But, KG was the biggest part of the culture change, by far.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

and that is probably why he is not going to be there.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no problem with Ray. Players need to do what they feel is in their and their family's best interest and Ray, at that time, felt what was best for him and his was to leave Boston and go to Miami. No problem with that whatsoever.

But, there was bad blood before Ray left and his leaving exasperated the situation. KG and Rondo obviously don't like Ray and how everything went down. Doc may be their former coach, but these are grown ass men and I don't see Doc changing any minds anytime soon.

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If we're going to retire KG's number then I think we need to retire Ray's as well. He was as much a part of the culture change and the championship as anyone.

I still like Ray. I’d be fine if we retired his name or number.  But, KG was the biggest part of the culture change, by far.

Absolutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Absolutely.
Agree completely, as does the Celtic ownership and management. I think I have heard both Wyc and Danny say that it was KG that forced the culture to change and it hasn't since then.

KG deserves this.

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Put aside the angst, KG...

It's his big day and all but what they did in 2007-08 was SPECIAL.....

I'd love to see the WHOLE gang back for that ceremony...Powe, Big Baby, Posey, Eddie House, TA, Perk, PJ Brown, Pollard, Cassell.....