Author Topic: Doc Rivers: “I want Ray Allen at KG’s jersey retirement in Boston”  (Read 5608 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28758870/doc-rivers-wants-ray-allen-kevin-garnett-celtics-jersey-retirement

The LA Clippers coach said on Saturday that he has a role to play in mending the rift that still exists between Allen and some of his former Celtics teammates such as Garnett.

After Allen left Boston to sign with the Miami Heat in 2012, some of those Celtics who won a title together in 2008 haven't forgiven or let go of the beef with the shooting guard.

"I hope not, but it's proven to be, yeah," Rivers said when asked whether there's still beef between those Celtics and Allen before the Clippers faced the Sacramento Kings on Saturday. "I think it's ridiculous, but it's still there, with some guys, not with every guy.

"KG is getting his jersey retired next year, and I'm hoping everyone is there," Rivers continued. "I'll make the right calls -- that doesn't mean the right things will happen."

Re: Doc Rivers: “I want Ray Allen at KG’s jersey retirement in Boston”
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Ray Allen didn't attend Pierce's retirement ceremony two years ago after claiming he "wasn't invited."

I wonder what excuse he'll use this time.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ray Allen didn't attend Pierce's retirement ceremony two years ago after claiming he "wasn't invited."

I wonder what excuse he'll use this time.

I would guess “KG doesn’t want me there”, which seems to be the case.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kobe and Gianna's - as well as the other unfortunate victims - passing should be a reminder to them that life is too short...life is precious.

I'd hope KG, Perk, Rondo, whomever - put aside the angst.

Those FIVE did something special in 2007-08...going from WORST the previous year to FIRST and Banner 17 the next...did something that NO OTHER team has done in recent history...

Has such a thing EVER been done in SPORTS, period? Worst record one year then Championship the next?

See you at KG's Jersey hanging, Ray - I'd hope KG welcomes you.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 07:58:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Ray Allen doesn't want to be there, and I hope he doesn't attend.

And no, Celtics are not going to retire his jersey. Much rather let them retire Hayward instead.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why does he get a say? Didint he run off at the first sign of rebuild?

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Well...he DID - you know.....win that Banner 17.............

Just saying.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Did you just read the title and reply?

Its not about the retirement ceremony, its about mending the fences between his players. He's kinda like their father, and it feels like if they are going to make up, its going to be with his help.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Just saying.

No that does not give him a say on who comes.... not his day..KG's day.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Did you just read the title and reply?

Its not about the retirement ceremony, its about mending the fences between his players. He's kinda like their father, and it feels like if they are going to make up, its going to be with his help.

Well he is not their father. The reason the whole Allen thing stings in my opinion is because he won a title in Miami, and he was VERY instrumental in that win. That makes what his team mates consider to be a betrayal sting even more. I bet you if Allen had bombed out in Miami they are probably friends again and they are teasing him. The fact that he has scoreboard and a ring stings. Just my opinion.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 09:25:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Just saying.

No that does not give him a say on who comes.... not his day..KG's day.

It is KG's day, granted - but it is well-known already that if it was Paul Pierce ONLY in BOS he would NOT have come...

The ONE person he foolishly has angst left for is the one person that sealed the deal in him even COMING to BOS...

We all act like KG "IS" BOS - which he IS. But let's not fool ourselves in thinking he was beating down the doors to get here at first.

Once he got here? Of course he fit...along with Ray and Paul. They did INCREDIBLE things....but RAY sealed the deal in him coming here.

Whether he / or WE - like it or not Ray Allen did what was best for him, given Trader Danny's track record, lol.....and KG and Paul and Rondo had a RIGHT to be upset...as well as us fans.

But that is now what? 10 years later?

We are on the cusp of an important time in KG's life and I'd wish he'd let bygones be bygones.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue. Ray decided he wanted to go to a place that he thought gave him a better chance to win more rings. His Celtic teammates were upset by that. I'm fine with both of those things. Ray did what he thought was best for him when he was a free agent, I never blame someone for that. He played out his contract and did everything he was supposed to while he was a Celtic and did not betray anyone.

The other guys were disappointed that he didn't stay and try to win more in Boston. I understand that too. They thought there was something special that they had going. Clearly it meant more to them than it did to Ray. It means Ray won't be considered an all-time Celtic, and that's fine. Doesn't make him a bad guy. I have no problem if KG doesn't want him at the ceremony.

Full disclosure, I don't think the Celts should retire KG's number. He did something important in Boston, but history will remember him as a member of the Timberwolves and he wasn't a Celtic long enough to warrant his number being raised to the rafters.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Kobe and Gianna's - as well as the other unfortunate victims - passing should be a reminder to them that life is too short...life is precious.

I'd hope KG, Perk, Rondo, whomever - put aside the angst.

Those FIVE did something special in 2007-08...going from WORST the previous year to FIRST and Banner 17 the next...did something that NO OTHER team has done in recent history...

Has such a thing EVER been done in SPORTS, period? Worst record one year then Championship the next?

See you at KG's Jersey hanging, Ray - I'd hope KG welcomes you.

I understand what you're getting at, but really they were two totally different teams. It's not like a team that was essentially the same went from worst to first, they added two hall-of-famers and then went from worst to first.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 11:30:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue. Ray decided he wanted to go to a place that he thought gave him a better chance to win more rings. His Celtic teammates were upset by that. I'm fine with both of those things. Ray did what he thought was best for him when he was a free agent, I never blame someone for that. He played out his contract and did everything he was supposed to while he was a Celtic and did not betray anyone.

The other guys were disappointed that he didn't stay and try to win more in Boston. I understand that too. They thought there was something special that they had going. Clearly it meant more to them than it did to Ray. It means Ray won't be considered an all-time Celtic, and that's fine. Doesn't make him a bad guy. I have no problem if KG doesn't want him at the ceremony.

Full disclosure, I don't think the Celts should retire KG's number. He did something important in Boston, but history will remember him as a member of the Timberwolves and he wasn't a Celtic long enough to warrant his number being raised to the rafters.
Same amount of years and more important to the franchise than Reggie Lewis.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 03:18:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Same amount of years and more important to the franchise than Reggie Lewis.
Reggie was clearly an honor to him for what happened