Author Topic: Joe Harris: "Jayson was probably the best player on our team this summer."  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
[Vardon] Joe Harris: “I thought Jayson was probably the best player on our team this summer (Team USA). Unfortunately he got hurt halfway through our trip, but he was leading us in a lot of different areas. It wasn’t this huge statistical thing, I think it was more the presence that he had."
“I thought Jayson was probably the best player on our team this summer,” said Joe Harris, a Team USAer who was knocked out in the first round in Saturday’s 3-point competition. “Obviously there were a lot of talented guys there. Unfortunately he got hurt halfway through our trip, but he was leading us in a lot of different areas. It wasn’t this huge statistical thing, I think it was more the presence that he had. What I saw, what he brought every day to practice. It was one of those things where he is super young, but he didn’t act like it, he didn’t play like it, and I could’ve told you this summer that he’d have a pretty good chance to be here today as an All-Star.”

Tatum only played in two games for Team USA last summer because of a sprained ankle, missing both losses. He averaged 24.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in those games, and was out against France — a team the Americans were up on late in the second half before losing. If Tatum were out there, who knows? Maybe the Americans win it all instead of barely making it to the final weekend in Beijing, playing for seventh place? What we do know is he’s since enjoyed his breakout season with the Celtics, averaging what are easily career highs in points (22.4 ppg) and rebounds (6.9 rpg), making his first All-Star Game before he turns 22.

https://theathletic.com/1613020/2020/02/16/nba-got-it-right-with-brilliant-all-star-game-fixes-first-thoughts-at-the-buzzer/?amp

If you cannot view, you can download the app on your phone to read it for free.
__

I always liked Joe Harris. He would've been a nice shooter for us off the bench, curling off screens or generating his offense ala Kyle Korver.

I remember the first time I watched him play, (heavily affiliated with UVA alums,) he looked like a deer in the headlights, and seemed extremely lost. I was speculative of his success in the NBA, but I still believed he would do well, because I liked his energy, and he had a very nice shooting form that just seemed really effortless for him. Happy for him, and he seems like a genuinely good guy.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Joe Harris: Tatum probably our best player on Team USA this summer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Re: Joe Harris: Tatum probably our best player on Team USA this summer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Hayward opts out and is let go maybe we can afford him. Otherwise the Celtics can not offer him close to his market value.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If Hayward opts out and is let go maybe we can afford him. Otherwise the Celtics can not offer him close to his market value.

Weird take. Tatum will get the absolute max he can be paid, and the C's will then organize the team's salary and personnel decisions around that. It's that simple.

Hayward can stay another year at his current salary and they just take the hit. They may very well decide to find a way to move him, but Tatum is a given.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Weird take. Tatum will get the absolute max he can be paid, and the C's will then organize the team's salary and personnel decisions around that. It's that simple.

Hayward can stay another year at his current salary and they just take the hit. They may very well decide to find a way to move him, but Tatum is a given.

Pretty sure he's talking about Harris.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:52:37 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

I think Fafnir is referring to signing Joe Harris.

Tatum will absolutely be offered a max extension.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Pretty sure he's talking about Harris.
Yup.

Unless Hayward opts out and leaves the C's will only have the taxpayer mid-level exception to offer him, that's not enough for him.

If Hayward leaves then the C's could potentially have some small amount of cap room or could use the taxpayer mid-level at 9.7 million starting salary. That maybe is enough for Harris, though I doubt it. Harris is likely seeking at least as much as JJ Redick got. So he's looking at 12 to 15 million per year for a few years.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Tatum will absolutely be offered a max extension.
Yeah if you make an all-star team on your rookie contract your agent is going to absolutely ask for a max extension. The negotiation points have become designated rookie escalators, trade kicker, and if there is a 5th year player option.