Author Topic: IT will be free (Should we sign him)  (Read 10455 times)

Re: IT will be free (Should we sign him)
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maybe AD's dad would finally lay off the Cs if we re-signed IT and we could one day have a shot at him.

But, in all seriousness, I would take him back, but he would have to understand that he would essentially be taking Edwards' role (which isn't much of one). For the record, I have not given up on Edwards, but he clearly isn't ready for prime time quite yet.

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
*Ainge hands IT a sock*

IT:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Maybe AD's dad would finally lay off the Cs if we re-signed IT and we could one day have a shot at him.

But, in all seriousness, I would take him back, but he would have to understand that he would essentially be taking Edwards' role (which isn't much of one). For the record, I have not given up on Edwards, but he clearly isn't ready for prime time quite yet.

He would take Wannamaker's role.  If you sign IT it's to decrease Kemba's minutes and have a scorer off the bench playing 18-20 mpg.  Edwards is a towel waiver this year while he learns.  I'm not sure if IT is a good fit.  I don't want him to disrupt the locker room if he doesn't play enough.  We'd also have to cut Poirier or Green to open a roster spot.  Lot's to deal with and can't happen unless it moves the needle towards more wins.

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Bring him back but make it clear that any disruption and he’s finished, likely finished in the NBA period. Make it clear he’s always going to be second-fiddle to Kemba and Marcus, but can be the fan favorite who is a spark off the bench. This. Can. Work. This can be what pushes us over the top...if IT listens to CBS...

Like someone said, maybe this is a shot to get AD...if played perfectly and Lakers fall shy of Clippers with LeBron pointing fingers and AD realizing he’ll always be third to LeBron and Kobe...

If executed perfectly on our end with LeBron being LeBron, this can lead to the miracle we’ve all been dreaming of...

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bring him back but make it clear that any disruption and he’s finished, likely finished in the NBA period. Make it clear he’s always going to be second-fiddle to Kemba and Marcus, but can be the fan favorite who is a spark off the bench. This. Can. Work. This can be what pushes us over the top...if IT listens to CBS...

Like someone said, maybe this is a shot to get AD...if played perfectly and Lakers fall shy of Clippers with LeBron pointing fingers and AD realizing he’ll always be third to LeBron and Kobe...

If executed perfectly on our end with LeBron being LeBron, this can lead to the miracle we’ve all been dreaming of...

Not sure if I'm buying the "IT for AD bait" angle, but it would be fun to have the Little Guy waving towels.  I think he'd embrace the role and you know the fans would embrace him.  I just don't know what he'd really bring to the table at this point of his career.  It would be awesome if it worked out though.
Yup

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2020, 10:48:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Nope! IT right now will be worth only as a veteran leader to our team and idk if that’ll work because:

1) we still have guys who used to be under that leadership but have now come into their own.
2) our team currently has great chemistry and this feels more like a move you wanna do during the offseason when guys can still gel and buy in to his leadership. Otherwise a strong personality like IT might do more harm than good when it’s mid season
3) IT obviously feels like he can still play. He’s barely going to get minutes here. Let him go to a team who can give him backup minutes or something. There’s a reason LAC let him go
- LilRip

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2020, 11:44:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I think IT's days have passed unfortunately. Sucks that he ruined his career playing for us, but life isn't always fair. Always loved the Little Guy but it would purely be a sympathy signing and we don't really have that luxury. His offense isn't enough to cover his defensive deficiencies these days.

Put it this way - if he had never played for us would we be interested in signing him?
I feel like they almost owe it to him. He played hurt here when he shouldn't have, even played after what happened to his sister and ended up eventually costing himself a big money contract. The guy gave everything he had to the Celtics - and he is a better option than Edwards/Waters plus I don't trust Wanamaker for the playoffs because he coughs the ball up when you pressure him.

That all said they have one chance to slightly improve the roster and there may be a better option out there. 

So we'll see I guess. Thing is, even if they bring him back he'll be released this summer so I guess I'm fine either way.

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2020, 03:00:32 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I posted this on the IT article from the home page.

I seriously believe that both Edwards and Waters could put up better offensive numbers on that wizards team with the exact same minutes and shot attempts, neither of which IT can get here. We have a nice 4 guard rotation in Kemba, Brown, Smart, and Wanamaker, no of whom should give up even a minute of time to IT. Also with Langford playing well lately he may need to split time between sg & sf just to get a couple more minutes a game. I wouldn’t play IT over Langford. So people say cut green but he is wing depth that can defend and score and IT would really need to take Edwards place, but I would rather give Waters a full contract and play him than play IT. IT is so done everyone but some overly sentimental fans know it. IT was so bad at defense its not even funny and now with his loss of speed he’s even worse. we making do very well with our make shift center lineup because everyone on the team can play defense, even Edwards. As far as a buy out I would cut Poirer for Tristan Thompson and I wold cut Green for Evan Turner. I would have liked a Capella trade and it looks like Danny made an effort for that but it didn’t work out,

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Keep that guy away from the Celtics. When you have a choice between the greatest franchise in bball history and the Lakers and you choose the Lakers you're done. Players who choose LA beaches, fame and glory over Boston's greatness can stay there, because we don't want you here.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2020, 04:48:53 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Keep that guy away from the Celtics. When you have a choice between the greatest franchise in bball history and the Lakers and you choose the Lakers you're done. Players who choose LA beaches, fame and glory over Boston's greatness can stay there, because we don't want you here.

Stranger things have happened, but I think it's safe to say that we can forget about AD for the immediate future.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As of now the Celtics are number 2 rated defense in the NBA for points allowed.

At 36-15 the fourth best record and all of this with a steady flow of DNP's for all five of their starters.

You have to justify the "addition" of a player to this group whomever that player is.

Two years ago, "his offense and leadership overcome his defense."

I don't think it's true anymore and that's why he's having a hard time getting a spot somewhere.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Maybe the revamped Rockets might have an interest in IT?

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline GreenRunsDeep33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'd be for bringing IT back. I'm not sure during the playoffs that Edwards, Langford, Green will be ready.

I'd like to bring IT and Kyle O'Quinn in. O'Quinn is asking Philly to release him.

O'Quinn, Theis, Kanter, RWill and GWill may be able to provide enough different types of bigs to help down the stretch.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2020, 12:26:27 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think we need to wait a few more days to get better feel for the market.
Obviously T Thomas would be more help as would Kyle O.
 I can’t see Danny cutting two guys lose so if we add I think it will be one player.

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think we need to wait a few more days to get better feel for the market.
Obviously T Thomas would be more help as would Kyle O.
 I can’t see Danny cutting two guys lose so if we add I think it will be one player.
I think it far from obvious Kyle O'Quinn would help in any way. He has performed at a career worst level while getting little PT.