Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28368 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I am not worried that Wannamaker is more of a secondary ball handler as a backup PG than a true point.

Between Smart, Kemba, and Hayward (heck even Jayson/Jaylen) he shouldn't be the primary ball handler in most situations where we are using him. But when two of the best passers on the team are out it makes his job a lot harder.

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
How does Wannamaker (age 30) not make a NBA team for years?

I think Monday night showed us. The kid couldn't handle the pressure.  If he would have played great...nobody is talking about Waters.

Or he had greater job security and earning potential overseas.

That's a thing today. Some fringe NBA players opt to go overseas as a career move.

Why does one bad game in November create a narrative about the 10 year career of a basketball player?

One bad game when the pressure is on, does not tell the full story, but does tell a lot.
I am sorry but how was the pressure on in the game against Sacramento but not against the last 9 opponents where Wanamaker played excellent ball and was part of key defensive lineups that changed games?

If you say the pressure was on in all those games, then 9 great games vs one bad tells me way more about a player than just one bad game does.

Waters wasn't on the bench during those games.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think Monday night showed us. The kid couldn't handle the pressure.  If he would have played great...nobody is talking about Waters.

That's a thing today. Some fringe NBA players opt to go overseas as a career move.

Why does one bad game in November create a narrative about the 10 year career of a basketball player?

One bad game when the pressure is on, does not tell the full story, but does tell a lot.
I am sorry but how was the pressure on in the game against Sacramento but not against the last 9 opponents where Wanamaker played excellent ball and was part of key defensive lineups that changed games?

If you say the pressure was on in all those games, then 9 great games vs one bad tells me way more about a player than just one bad game does.

How does that matter?

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Here are Wanamaker's averages over the last 9 games before last night:

PPP: 10.1
APG: 3.7
RPG: 2.1
MPG: 21.4
FG%: 55.8%
3PT%: 40%
FT%: 96.4%
TS%: 70.6%

The man has been pretty incredible over the last 3 weeks, has a bad game and suddenly Waters needs to have his spot? I don't get that.
I second this. What more can you expect from a guy on a one year deal making $1.5 mill?  He's been better than expected.  And whoever you have in that role is someone making a low salary who's expendable. 

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

How does that matter?

Waters is Wannamakers only competition,  on the roster, for backup  pg. And Waters has been playing outstanding in Maine. Maybe it's just a coincidence that Wannamaker played poorly or maybe he couldn't handle the pressure. You know my opinion.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How does that matter?

Waters is Wannamakers only competition,  on the roster, for backup  pg. And Waters has been playing outstanding in Maine. Maybe it's just a coincidence that Wannamaker played poorly or maybe he couldn't handle the pressure. You know my opinion.
So your assumption is Wanamaker is a complete moron and mentally weak!

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

How does that matter?

Mentally weak..maybe

Complete moron...absolutely not...not sure where that is coming from

Larry Bird

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How does that matter?

Mentally weak..maybe

Well, your assumption is that suddenly Wanamaker saw a player behind him who wants his job and got so rattled he crapped himself last game from the pressure of seeing a person behind him in the rotation that wants to take his spot.

Apparently, Wanamaker was too stupid see Green or Edwards as threats to his position. Apparently, Wanamaker is too dumb to realize that Waters was his teammate and was also a threat to take his spot if he didn't play well.

Did Wanamaker suddenly forget all that months worth of time where he was playing and practicing with Waters?

So, Waters is recalled because Kemba is hurt, and the light went on in Wanamaker's head that "Oh yeah. Besides Javonte and Carsen, Tremont is also on this team and could take over my minutes if I don't play well. I completely forgot about that!"? Then he worked himself into such a fit over it that he played horrible due to the pressure of having his 2-Way teammate possibly taking his minutes, even though he doesn't have such pressure over Green and Edwards taking his minutes.

Really? Wanamaker didn't realize that just because Waters was playing in Maine that he was still a part of the team and that if he, Brad, didn't play well, he could be unseated by him? He felt no pressure from Edwards and Green, just Waters?

If this is your thinking, then yeah, I am thinking you think Wanamaker is a complete moron besides having a pier fear factor of an adolescent child and being weak mentally.

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

How does that matter?

Mentally weak..maybe

Well, your assumption is that suddenly Wanamaker saw a player behind him who wants his job and got so rattled he crapped himself last game from the pressure of seeing a person behind him in the rotation that wants to take his spot.

Apparently, Wanamaker was too stupid see Green or Edwards as threats to his position. Apparently, Wanamaker is too dumb to realize that Waters was his teammate and was also a threat to take his spot if he didn't play well.

Did Wanamaker suddenly forget all that months worth of time where he was playing and practicing with Waters?

So, Waters is recalled because Kemba is hurt, and the light went on in Wanamaker's head that "Oh yeah. Besides Javonte and Carsen, Tremont is also on this team and could take over my minutes if I don't play well. I completely forgot about that!"? Then he worked himself into such a fit over it that he played horrible due to the pressure of having his 2-Way teammate possibly taking his minutes, even though he doesn't have such pressure over Green and Edwards taking his minutes.

Really? Wanamaker didn't realize that just because Waters was playing in Maine that he was still a part of the team and that if he, Brad, didn't play well, he could be unseated by him? He felt no pressure from Edwards and Green, just Waters?

If this is your thinking, then yeah, I am thinking you think Wanamaker is a complete moron besides having a pier fear factor of an adolescent child and being weak mentally.

Lol

Larry Bird

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2019, 05:29:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is fine when plays within the system but when he starts looking for shots outside it,  to quote Tommy " Oh,  Brother."  He was the sole bright spot off the bench last night.

At 29, his growth potential is finite.  But he can show guys how to be ready and how it takes hard work to make it in the pros.

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Last night against the Nets, the rest of the Celtic bench went 2-16 and Wannamaker went 5-7. 13 points, 3 rebounds, 1 turnover in 19 minutes.

Obviously this is just one game but that is a terrific game to have when the rest of the bench can't hit water falling out of the boat.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Last night against the Nets, the rest of the Celtic bench went 2-16 and Wannamaker went 5-7. 13 points, 3 rebounds, 1 turnover in 19 minutes.

Obviously this is just one game but that is a terrific game to have when the rest of the bench can't hit water falling out of the boat.

Totally agree, and don’t get the Wanamaker hate. He’s a backup. Something tells me that by end of the year his numbers will be much better than TRozier’s from last year. On a vet min salary.

Also worth noticing, Wanamaker gets you a few easy buckets a game because he’s a surprisingly good finisher for a guy his size.

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wanamaker played well last game and his confidence is growing.

It's good that we bring up backup PG competition in Waters, but I feel having a veteran presence in Wanamaker is good to have too.

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Wana was 3-5 tonight, but 11 points because he also drew fouls. Three assists in 18 minutes. To get that from your third PG is great.

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I am a fan.  Growing by the game.