Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28333 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is a a 10 to 15 minute backup player who is forced because of injuries to play 20 minutes a game.   

He seems able to produce (at an average player level) whether he has to play a lot of minutes or a few.   Can't complain about that.

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Wanamaker is this year’s fan favorite for whipping boy because twitter basically said so.

He’s been their best and most consistent bench player for about three weeks. He had a bad game last night. It happens.

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I apologise ahead of time .I just don't get it .He seems to play too ridged and doesn't have real change of pace or burst .In several recent games some really poor passes and didn't handle backcourt  pressure well .Also got blocked at rim on several breakaways.
He is not very flexible.
Can we get Chris Dunn from Chicago I prefer more length and fluidity.
Just can't warm up to Wanamaker as 2nd team point guard

Not a fan either but he's just a placeholder until Waters takes his roster spot.  He's only on a 1 year deal and will be gone after this year.  CBS loves him though.  I'm sure he's good in the locker room but on the floor he has his moments.  Last night Waters absolutely out shined him.  I'm sure some teams Brad is a better fit against and other Waters.  It's one game and Waters needs more PT to develop but going into next year He's absolutely going to get BW's roster spot.

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wanamaker is this year’s fan favorite for whipping boy because twitter basically said so.

He’s been their best and most consistent bench player for about three weeks. He had a bad game last night. It happens.

Doesn't speak very highly of our bench.

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Doesn't speak very highly of our bench.

Outside of the bench forced to start (Smart and Kanter) the bench is pretty young and hopefully improved by the end of the season.

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2019, 11:10:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here are Wanamaker's averages over the last 9 games before last night:

PPP: 10.1
APG: 3.7
RPG: 2.1
MPG: 21.4
FG%: 55.8%
3PT%: 40%
FT%: 96.4%
TS%: 70.6%

The man has been pretty incredible over the last 3 weeks, has a bad game and suddenly Waters needs to have his spot? I don't get that.

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The man has been pretty incredible over the last 3 weeks, has a bad game and suddenly Waters needs to have his spot? I don't get that.

Exactly. As a backup PG on a vet min deal, that's really solid.

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

He's been a solid backup. But I get it, this happens every year where an end of the bench player is out of favour and there's some other unproven player, usually a rookie, that should be getting their minutes. Last year many were wanting Wanamaker ahead of Rozier.

Next year it'll be Waters in the firing line (assuming he cracks the rotation). Where he'll be the one who sucks, stealing minutes from someone from next years rookie class who is flavour of the month. It's a rite of passage.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:28:00 PM by Scottiej23 »

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Wanamaker has been brilliant for the simple reason that he played so poorly against the Kings last night he opened the door for Waters to come in and light them up!

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2019, 08:32:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He's been a solid backup. But I get it, this happens every year where and end of the bench player is out of favour and there's some other unproven player, usually a rookie, that should be getting their minutes. Last year many were wanting Wannamaker ahead of Rozier.

Next year it'll be Waters in the firing line (assuming he cracks the rotation). Where he'll be the one who sucks, stealing minutes from someone from next years rookie class who is flavour of the month. It's a rite of passage.
Well stated. Have some TPs.

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2019, 05:00:54 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
As the OP of this topic, it was triggered by some of his miscues in handling of backcourt pressure, some very bad passes and inbounding the ball. Then some breakaways getting blocked from behind.
It seems my not being a fan is quickly exposed by stats, salary and ability to be a team player. And I agree whole heartedly but not being a fan might be a reaction to some visual part of his game.
The original post was made when he was playing well and apologized for ahead of time .Also a reaction to  Brian Scalabrine pumping him up and my inability to see it.. So thanks for the stats
Shane Larkin- I was a fan
Tremont Waters I am a fan -Quick hands ,defensive instincts, change of pace, navigation into paint and kick
Elevation on made three from top of key, ability to block shots from behind and he slithers over screens like Avery did.

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
How does Wannamaker (age 30) not make a NBA team for years?

I think Monday night showed us. The kid couldn't handle the pressure.  If he would have played great...nobody is talking about Waters.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I think Monday night showed us. The kid couldn't handle the pressure.  If he would have played great...nobody is talking about Waters.

Or he had greater job security and earning potential overseas.

That's a thing today. Some fringe NBA players opt to go overseas as a career move.

Why does one bad game in November create a narrative about the 10 year career of a basketball player?

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

That's a thing today. Some fringe NBA players opt to go overseas as a career move.

Why does one bad game in November create a narrative about the 10 year career of a basketball player?

One bad game when the pressure is on, does not tell the full story, but does tell a lot.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

One bad game when the pressure is on, does not tell the full story, but does tell a lot.
I am sorry but how was the pressure on in the game against Sacramento but not against the last 9 opponents where Wanamaker played excellent ball and was part of key defensive lineups that changed games?

If you say the pressure was on in all those games, then 9 great games vs one bad tells me way more about a player than just one bad game does.