Author Topic: Who's in, who's out ?  (Read 10955 times)

Re: Who's in, who's out ?
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2021, 07:22:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
No matter who leaves I desperately want to see the roster reconstructed so that the best 5 players can naturally share the court for significant minutes. Tatum, Brown,  Kemba, Smart, and Fournier currently do not work on the court together. They lack any real size. The 3rd,4th, or 5th best player on a Tatum/Brown centric team needs to be at least capable of playing small ball 5.

I think DA's attempt to sign Milsap prior to having to settle for Thompson shows that he was thinking along those lines last off-season. Had they signed Milsap the Cs would have likely started (when healthy) Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Milsap, and Theis. Their end of the game lineup would have replaced Theis with Smart and slip Milsap to the 5.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2021, 08:05:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
No matter who leaves I desperately want to see the roster reconstructed so that the best 5 players can naturally share the court for significant minutes. Tatum, Brown,  Kemba, Smart, and Fournier currently do not work on the court together. They lack any real size. The 3rd,4th, or 5th best player on a Tatum/Brown centric team needs to be at least capable of playing small ball 5.

I think DA's attempt to sign Milsap prior to having to settle for Thompson shows that he was thinking along those lines last off-season. Had they signed Milsap the Cs would have likely started (when healthy) Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Milsap, and Theis. Their end of the game lineup would have replaced Theis with Smart and slip Milsap to the 5.
I think if Timelord can get healthy and another training camp under his belt, that problem is solved.

The best 5 next season, potentially, are Kemba, Brown, Fournier, Tatum, Timelord. Pritchard, Smart, Thompson and one of Nesmith or Langford probably round out the rotation. Smart will sometimes finish in place of Kemba or Fournier when more defense is needed. That team might not be totally complete but I think the best 5 finish games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Milsap is old and not big for his position.  He is a 6"7" PF who athletic ability is in decline.  This kind of undercuts you're whole premise  we would have still lacked size with Paul Milsap.

I agree we lack size.   I hope we find a way to get rid of Thompson and Kemba.   Thompson can board but struggles in a lot of other areas.   He probably looked better than what is because of LeBron and his exposure playing Golden State which was a small ball team to a great degree.   He seems to struggle against bigs with legit size.   Kemba is very small and sometimes great but completely unrealiable in terms of health.   He is good at taking charges but lacking on D in most other areas.   These guys won't be easy to move.

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Milsap is old and not big for his position.  He is a 6"7" PF who athletic ability is in decline.  This kind of undercuts you're whole premise  we would have still lacked size with Paul Milsap.

I agree we lack size.   I hope we find a way to get rid of Thompson and Kemba.   Thompson can board but struggles in a lot of other areas.   He probably looked better than what is because of LeBron and his exposure playing Golden State which was a small ball team to a great degree.   He seems to struggle against bigs with legit size.   Kemba is very small and sometimes great but completely unrealiable in terms of health.   He is good at taking charges but lacking on D in most other areas.   These guys won't be easy to move.

My point was that DA attempted to sign a “big” who would have played 4 and small ball 5. Trading for Aaron Gordon or Larry Nance would also have filled this need. Grant Williams currently plays this role but doesn’t have t talent to warrant closing a game.

My ideal roster construction Brown and Tatum start at the 2/3 and a PF / Swing is signed or traded for who can serve as the finishing small ball big (ala D Green). Fournier is perfect as the 6th man with Williams/Thompson starting at center but not being in the “finishing” lineup
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

With Kemba or Irving sized point guards

You need a legit center... this is where Danny messed up

If he traded for Robin Lopez or Steven Adams. It would have been a big help

Both set tremendous picks and also can bail the little guys out on D end

If Ainge wants to go with a smaller ball basketball team.  Horford or TL Tatum Hayward Brown Smart
Is ideal imo

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

If Ainge wants to go with a smaller ball basketball team.  Horford or TL Tatum Hayward Brown Smart
Is ideal imo

No matter the center smaller point guards will get picked on in playoff basketball. I actually think a smaller mobile center is better with a liability at point because of their ability to scramble in help.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Is ideal imo

No matter the center smaller point guards will get picked on in playoff basketball. I actually think a smaller mobile center is better with a liability at point because of their ability to scramble in help.

Kemba is weak at boxing out or rebounding

A big center takes up room of two smaller players(boxing out)

A legit big would help imo

Playoffs or not Celts have been getting out rebounded

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wonder if BS had his say, who would he take? Seems to me he needs size on defense for switching and shooting for offense to space the floor. How many guys on this team have both? The guys I think that fit (and what they can switch defend)
Fournier (PG-SF)
Brown (PG-PF)
Nesmith (SG-SF)
Tatum (SG-PF)
Kornet (PF-C)

That seems like all of the guys that have both size to switch and can still shoot. Smart can sometimes shoot well every 5 or 6 games so he may qualify.

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Is ideal imo

Kemba is weak at boxing out or rebounding

A big center takes up room of two smaller players(boxing out)

A legit big would help imo

Playoffs or not Celts have been getting out rebounded

Sorry, if I agree about Kemba weakness and that it is a big part of our problems; we havn't been outrebounded last year in PO, I am almost sure of that. In my remains the only team that outrebounded us was Philly, with a sweep as a result... But I think we outrebounded baddly Raptors and also by a smaller margin the Heat.

I would also be hot for an old style center, why not with another smaller one for the switch part (bring back Theis who maybe lost some value ?); as Rob seems still week physically I am for having 3 viable option at 5. The best would be of course the 3rd one can also play the 4 (aka not Mislap nor Theis; maybe Collins if he reinforce a little)

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
For next season(role players) my guess is

In
-Parker - Vet min
-Pritchard
-Nesmith
-Langford
-Yam

Out
-Gwilliams (traded)
-Waters
-Tacko
-Kornet
-Edwards
- Semi

Danny stated there will be changes for next season. At minimum I see these minor moves made.  And fresh additions to the lineup. 

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Smart        Pritchard  Yam         
Fournier    Nesmith    Langford
Brown       SF 2            Grant
Tatum       PF 2            Jabari     
Center 1   Timelord    Kornet   

Kemba, Thompson, Semi, Carsen, Tacko ate out!!

Tremont returns as 2 way (if possible) and add another 2nd round 2 way that is an athletic swing with shooting.

Yam comes in.

Draft, Sign and Trade for the PF 2 , SF 2 and Center 1.

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trade 1: https://tradenba.com/trades/sqosINMAD
Boston trades: Marcus Smart, 2022 2nd rounder

Memphis trades: Jonas Valanciunas

Trade 2: https://tradenba.com/trades/ckzWtnIOi
Boston trades: Tristan Thompson, Grant Williams, Carsen Edwards

Orlando trades: Terrence Ross

Sign Trevor Ariza to VetMin, retain Fournier, draft Franz Wagner or Jalen Johnson, team is as follows:

Kemba Walker - Payton Pritchard - Tremont Waters
Jaylen Brown - Terrence Ross - Romeo Langford
Evan Fournier - Aaron Nesmith - Trevor Ariza
Jayson Tatum - Franz Wagner - Jabari Parker
Jonas Valanciunas - Robert Williams - Luke Kornet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The issue I have is that we are prone to assuming the guys on the Celtics’ roster are finished products. They’re not.

Take Grant Williams for example. Are people aware that he’s still just 22 years old and under team control on short money through 2022-23? He’ll always be undersized and thus limited, but you don’t just dump players like that. Grant will be a different player at age 24 then he is now. Have patience with some of these guys.

The guys I’d like the Celtics to part with are Thompson, Ojeleye, Edwards, Parker… and Kemba. I think there’s a chance a team with cap space takes on Kemba and even gives you some draft capital in return. The future of this team is as a switch-everything, big bodied defensive menace with Smart as the PG, with Tatum and Brown as your go-to scorers.

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Per CBA FAQ #82

. ...A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract. A player cannot play under Two-Way contracts for the same team for more than three years total1.

IOW, Tacko and Waters can stay with the Cs for one more year. With new and additional evidence, I am revising my prophecy to the following:

Stay (9)
Tatum and Brown - locks
Walker - depressed market value
Timelord, Pritchard, and Nesmith - rookie contracts and look promising.
Waters and Fall - 2-ways
Fournier - Barring a bidding war with another contender

Out (2)
Ojeleye - contract is up.
Edwards - can be cut and spread cheaply over 2 years at under $600K per year

Likely stay until team option decision after next season (2)
Romeo and GWill. No one's trading for them and we're not going to cut them.

Maybe gone (4)
Smart - A decision is required one way or the other because he's an expiring next season, and he's the best trade chip we have other than the Js. Otherwise, a trade at the deadline won't get you much.
TT - Not good enough against the best centers. He and Smart could net you Horford.
Parker - Not guaranteed. Playoffs will tell. If he goes, we need someone else for a backup PF.
Kornet - Contract is up and maybe something better catches DA's eye for a 3rd string center or a 2B center depending on Timelord's health.