Author Topic: Absolutely brutal Shaughnessy article: Celtics "truly unlikable"  (Read 7085 times)

Re: Absolutely brutal Shaughnessy article: Celtics "truly unlikable"
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The expectations of this team are laughably unrealistic. How about some perspective? They just had everything go wrong in one of the all-time bizarre seasons in NBA history and finished around .500. Can we stop acting like the future of the franchise is doomed? Dude, sh** happens in sports. The Celtics front office doesn’t have a perfect track record, and neither does the coaching staff. But look at the compete body work and be happy you’ve got then. Meanwhile, the front offices of Brooklyn and LAL made basically every wrong decision possible over the past decade and, through sheer luck and the attractiveness of their cities, are loaded with top-10 players. This is the NBA.

Take a multi year look at this team and stop being so myopic. Jaylen and Jayson are something like 4-6 years from their primes. Jaylen alone seems to take a giant leap every year; what do you think this player will be like at, say, age 28? You’ve also got all of your future draft picks. THOSE TWO FACTS ALONE position this club better than most teams in the league for the coming years.

This year has been abysmal. I get it. I’m upset too. I fully expect this team to get throttled in the first round, and that assumes we make it out of the play in tournament, which is not a given. Both would be humiliating. But I’ve seen Celtics seasons end like that in the past only for the team to bounce back the next year. Did you forget the way we were all talking when Kyrie and Horford left just two years ago? We were all ready to jump off a bridge. Just take a deep breath, relax, and try and understand that the whole franchise hasn’t been ruined just because of this dismal season.

But...but...BUT we're the CELTICS, [dang it]! We expect to win the title every year!!

I really do not get the point of the apologists. It is okay to lash out at critics but he can call the season dismal? Sounds like the apologists are getting mighty defensive because those that raised alarm early turned out to be right, and those that offered excuse after excuse were wrong.

Re: Absolutely brutal Shaughnessy article: Celtics "truly unlikable"
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2021, 01:17:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Take a multi year look at this team and stop being so myopic. Jaylen and Jayson are something like 4-6 years from their primes. Jaylen alone seems to take a giant leap every year; what do you think this player will be like at, say, age 28? You’ve also got all of your future draft picks. THOSE TWO FACTS ALONE position this club better than most teams in the league for the coming years.

You know that both Jaylen and Jayson will have hit UFA before we reach that point 4-6 years from now when they're in their "true prime," right?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain