Poll

If We Fail to Win the NBA Championship in 2021, Should We Move On From Ainge?

Yes unless we make it to the NBA Finals
5 (10.4%)
Yes unless we make it to the Eastern Conference Finals (Again...)
1 (2.1%)
No
38 (79.2%)
Undecided
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: January 08, 2021, 02:21:32 AM

Author Topic: If We Falter in 2021, Should We Move On From Ainge?  (Read 6362 times)

Re: If We Falter in 2021, Should We Move On From Ainge?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Of course not.

Danny Ainge had his eyes on KG for YEARS....then pulled the trigger when he got the opportunity. Got Ray and KG and the rest is history.

Can't blame him that KG got hurt in Utah in 2009...and THAT had the single most effect on closing our window with PP-KG-Ray MUCH faster....

We THEN remain competitive for a few years after that - including MAGICAL runs in 2010 with Sheed and our FINAL push in 2011-12 that brought us SO MANY memories...PP34's clutch shot over LeBron....Rondo's SCORING bursts and his STELLAR PLAY that kept us competitive even AFTER PP-KG-Ray were aging...KG's HEROIC play against Atlanta during that SAME playoff run in 2011-12..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azIPvMfNI94

Old Soldier KG doing WORK in that closeout game versus ATL in 2011-12.

Rondo's ascent ALSO helped lessen the impact of Ray leaving.

Ainge then applies a MASTER STROKE with BKN that has laid the FOUNDATION for our team RIGHT NOW.

As Danny waits patiently for his MASTER STROKE Trade with BKN to pan out he acquires some Little Known guard from PHX

The Little Dude with the BIG HEART and HUGE PLAY then proceeds to lead our rag-tag team on some unexpectedly DEEP playoff runs....thus allowing us to become a FREE AGENT destination that draws Big Al Horford from ATL

....and THEN allows us to nab 1st time All-Star Gordon Hayward

Big Al and GH CAME TO BOS because of DANNY AINGE's HARD WORK....GH "ALSO" came to BOS due to Brad Stevens being here

...and thus Danny Ainge GETS CREDIT for THIS in that 'HE" hired Coach Brad Stevens.

So NOW we're sitting around as a Fan Base moping....ME TOO. But our Boston Celtics have been competitive and IN THE HUNT for the last 10-12 years much because of DANNY AINGE.

It is NOT fair to blame him for THREE CRUCIAL injuries - to KG, GH and in some regards even Isaiah Thomas' injury as well.

I hope Danny stays for 10 more years, TBH.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:11:34 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Look, if Trump supporters can chant "FOUR MORE YEARS!!!" then DANNY supporters can chant as well.

"TEN MORE YEARS!!'

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

Danny Ainge has done a good job. Don't blame him for our unfortunate injuries.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
Tatum is 22. Hayward has been playing on one leg for most of his time here. The speed and quality of this rebuild are unprecedented.

With even average luck we will be hoisting a trophy soon enough. Step back from the ledge.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If only we had a GM like the Knicks, or Suns or T-Wolves or Kings...Our two best players are 22 and 23 and we are talking about getting rid of Ainge after he has rebuilt us while winning....wow....Not loving threads like this at all

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Definitely not.

I think Ainge and Brad have done more than enough to keep their jobs as long as they want them.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Look, if Trump supporters can chant "FOUR MORE YEARS!!!" then DANNY supporters can chant as well.

"TEN MORE YEARS!!'

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

Ha, I feel as if Danny himself would be opposed to 10 more years mainly because he's 61. Being a GM seems like a very intense stressful gig
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Mike zarren is gonna take over for Danny when Danny finally retires, right?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

"TEN MORE YEARS!!'

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

"TEN MORE YEARS!!"

Ha, I feel as if Danny himself would be opposed to 10 more years mainly because he's 61. Being a GM seems like a very intense stressful gig

Probably, lol.

I long for the day when ESPN and other outlets can CRITICALLY look at Danny's accomplishments and give him his due.

We've had some bad injuries happen to this team at the wrong times.

But as a competent GM all you can do is get the right pieces...the right TALENT....

Not EVERY player in the NBA is cut out to play in BOS. Takes special players AND people.

Couple that together and it's hard to argue against Danny.

If/When he departs I hope his replacement has the same acumen for good choices as HE does.....knows when to POUNCE when the opportunity arises...

Knows WHO out there has Celtic DNA.....has the patience to actually WATCH and WAIT for this talent to come available.....

Sometimes that WAIT can take 4-5 years...like it did for KG.

Sometimes that WAIT can lead you to off-the-charts talent like AD - only to find out he doesn't want to even COME to BOS........

And Danny WAS ready to pull the trigger on that...make no mistake about it. But he didn't and I applaud him for that.

Danny's did well. I cry over the injuries and the bad luck but we've been competitive. That's all you can ask for.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Danny as a GM in a glamour market (NY, LA, MIA, maybe even CHI) would have several rings by now
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 05:48:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Danny as a GM in a glamour market (NY, LA, MIA, maybe even CHI) would have several rings by now

I doubt NY would've had the patience....or the intelligence.

They could inexplicably fire Ainge....trip him up....do something crazy - all the while he's actually TRYING to help them, lol...if Danny was in NY.

NY is a hot mess right now.

If they stay out of the way and actually LET THIBIDEAUX coach and do his thing....and LET him do this for a couple of years AT LEAST - then they will see positive results.

I expect NY to goon this up, too - unfortunately.

I once thought my OWN Washington Football team AND the NY Knicks were the epitome of "Can't get rights". Then WASH went and FINALLY hired a stud

and I'm optimistic AT LEAST - even if they're not winning yet, lol.

NY? We'll see if they get out their OWN WAY and let Tibbs do his thing. I doubt they will, unfortunately.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They could inexplicably fire Ainge....trip him up....do something crazy - all the while he's actually TRYING to help them, lol...if Danny was in NY.

If they stay out of the way and actually LET THIBIDEAUX coach and do his thing....and LET him do this for a couple of years AT LEAST - then they will see positive results.

I once thought my OWN Washington Football team AND the NY Knicks were the epitome of "Can't get rights". Then WASH went and FINALLY hired a stud

NY? We'll see if they get out their OWN WAY and let Tibbs do his thing. I doubt they will, unfortunately.

Yeah I didn't mean the Knicks organization / ownership.

I just meant that if you let Danny do his thing, without meddling, in a major market, he'd have won several titles by now instead of one
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Yeah I didn't mean the Knicks organization / ownership.

I just meant that if you let Danny do his thing, without meddling, in a major market, he'd have won several titles by now instead of one

Agreed.

Not many orgs have that patience, though.

Thank God for Wyc and Co.

A well-run team has to have solid leadership from the TOP on down....we have that here now just need some things to fall our way.

They will, eventually. All we have to do is be patient and wait and remain competitive.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Danny had been the Lakers GM they probably have more rings than us by now.

They probably also trade Kobe in 2013 or something, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think it's safe to say that the fire Anige crowd is going to be louder after the game. The Celtics have a bright future and people are making it sound like they're the Knicks.

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I HATE Ainge . . . but he's pretty much made all the right moves.

I'd be curious to know if Anthony Davis would've come here had Ainge pressed the case, but Danny has done well.