Author Topic: The Story of Marcus Smart  (Read 3923 times)

Re: The Story of Marcus Smart
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
So, is Marcus smart just going through an incredible shooting streak or is he finally turning a corner? Almost 37% on 3's this year....he finally isn't an offensive liability.

If he can keep it up, his contract is a steal.

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
So, is Marcus smart just going through an incredible shooting streak or is he finally turning a corner? Almost 37% on 3's this year....he finally isn't an offensive liability.

well, given the ongoing debates here on smart's shooting, i recall earlier threads that asked the same question. sometimes smart would heat up for a month or more, getting our hopes up. then his shooting would revert p--- poor once more.  ;D

so, has he turned the corner is this another tease by him? i think at the end of the season we will be better able to say something one way or another.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
All I Know is, even before his discovery of better shots, Marcus Smart was easily one of my favorite players in the league.

Very few players can impact a game like he does defensively. There is onle a handfull of NBA players that can do that in this day and age.  He was Rodman-esque, now with the finding of his shot he is becoming Pippen-esque, and playing beside someone that can take over a game offensively like Kyrie they are, imo, the best backcourt pairing in the league. Move over Klay and Steph and your gross mouthpiece chewing, 4 feet outside the three point line shooting wimpy brand of boy basketball.....here comes some men.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

well, given the ongoing debates here on smart's shooting, i recall earlier threads that asked the same question. sometimes smart would heat up for a month or more, getting our hopes up. then his shooting would revert p--- poor once more.  ;D

so, has he turned the corner is this another tease by him? i think at the end of the season we will be better able to say something one way or another.

I'm sticking with what I said before. He has to do it for a season for me to think he's turned a corner. This is a terrific hot streak he's on but so far, that's all it is: a streak.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:57 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I'm sticking with what I said before. He has to do it for a season for me to think he's turned a corner. This is a terrific hot streak he's on but so far, that's all it is: a streak.

I would be curious to know what his 3 point shooting was at this point in previous seasons, or better yet what his percentages were in previous hot streaks and how long did it last.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

The problem with Smart's shooting has always been his repeated hand injuries.

He wasn't a gifted shooter coming out of College but he's  always worked hard at his three point shooting.  Over the years he's heated up over stretches only to be set back by broken fingers, dislocated thumbs, torn ligaments, etc.

I'm not saying this is going away, he plays a reckless, physical style that is a high risk for injuries, but we might as well enjoy this streak while it lasts.   

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think we have to focus on the process of Smart's shooting, not the results.

The process is sound. His form is sound and fairly consistent. He practices hard in the off-season. The shots are bound to go in more than they have.

On top of that, he doesn't get guarded closely, which raises the success rate considerably.

It will also be remarkable how his efficiency on drives will go up as teams have to defend him by the 3 more. I also expect his assist numbers to go up and turnovers to go down as teams have to adjust to his shooting.