Author Topic: Best Case Scenario for 2019-2020 Season  (Read 3732 times)

Best Case Scenario for 2019-2020 Season
« on: July 19, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We are at the beginning of the dead period in the NBA. After the enthusiasm of Kemba's introductory press conference, I wanted to ask a question about the Celtics best-case scenario. What do people think is the ceiling of the current team? If this team reaches its ceiling what will it look like? What statistics will show the team is at their peak?

I'll go first. I think this team has a mid 50's ceiling. If they reach their ceiling they will be an elite offensive team that is better than expected on defense. If this team reaches its potential I expect that they will be near the top of the league in 3 pointers made, assists and pace. This team is going to play one guard, 3 wings and 1 big for a lot of their minutes, lineups of those types need to score at a high level to survive.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Best Case Scenario for 2019-2020 Season
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:23:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Best case scenario would be the Celtics being NBA Champions and the only meaningful stat would be winning 16 playoff games. Everything else really doesn't matter.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Best case scenario would be the Celtics being NBA Champions and the only meaningful stat would be winning 16 playoff games. Everything else really doesn't matter.
I want you to imagine the current team doing that. I'm asking how you think that team you are imagining plays.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I don’t really understand the Utah love affair.  They’ll be good, but contenders?  People really think Conley is all that team needed?  I don’t see it.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I’ve never made a bet on sports in my life aside from March Madness pools, but come September I have a feeling I will figure out how to place a bet on the under for the Lakers win total.  I just don’t see the hype.  That is not a tier 1 championship team, and they won’t be a top team in the regular season, either.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

Link?

That actually seems pretty reasonable to me. I think we are in the tier after Utah and Golden State, with a ceiling of a team in the Philly/Houston group.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Celts win the east and whoever comes out of the west is hobbled with injuries like the 2019 Warriors. There are 4 or 5 teams in the west the Celtics wouldn’t have a prayer against in a 7 game series if they were fully healthy.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Best case scenario:

- Kemba fits in perfectly and is an instant fan favorite and locker room leader; he repeats his 2018-2019 All-NBA caliber performance but with even better scoring efficiency due to the balanced cast around him.

- Tatum steps into a larger offensive role and provides consistent 20+ ppg scoring while getting to the line more, taking fewer mid-range jumpers, and generally playing with more sustained intensity and assertiveness.

- Jaylen thrives thanks to a role that stays the same all year and relishes being the lone intellectual weirdo on the team

- Hayward approaches his pre-injury form while reprising his point forward role from last year but with much greater confidence, consistency, and assertiveness.  He scores 15-18 ppg with very good efficiency and excellent defense.  Hayward hits numerous crunch time shots throughout the season.

- The young guys are surprisingly polished and ready to contribute, particularly Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards

- Enes Kanter averages a double double and isn't a complete trainwreck on defense.

All of the above happens and I would guess they win 50-53 games, feasting on the weak lower half of the conference.  They earn the 3 seed.

The Celts beat the Nets in round 1.  Kyrie is booed lustily in every game at the Garden.

The Celts face the 2 seed Sixers in round two.  The fans cheer without reservation for Al Horford at the start of game 3.  The Celts upset the Sixers in 6 games, closing out the Sixers with a balanced scoring effort from Kemba, Jaylen, Jayson, and Hayward.

The Celts play really well for the rest of the playoffs but fall short of winning a title.  Nonetheless, they have a really great season, defeat some hated rivals, get major redemption for last year, and regain their aura of being a young team on the rise with great things to come!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:12:22 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I think it's premature to stratify things that much.

I'd group it more like this ...

Definitely Contending, If Healthy:

- Clippers
- Lakers
- Rockets
- Sixers
- Bucks

Likely Really Good But Maybe Not Great:

- Nuggets
- Jazz

Probably Not Contending But Could Be Really Good:

- Warriors
- Blazers
- Celtics
- Pacers

Definitely Playoff Worthy But Limited Ceiling:

- Raptors
- Heat
- Nets
- Spurs

Maybe A Playoff Team:

- Magic
- Kings
- Thunder
- Mavericks
- Bulls
- T-Wolves
- Pelicans
- Pistons

Rebuilding / Too Young

- Hawks
- Suns
- Grizzlies

Garbage:

- Wizards
- Cavaliers
- Knicks
- Hornets
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
say n don't drink the green cool aid too soon on this season

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I think it's premature to stratify things that much.

I'd group it more like this ...

Definitely Contending, If Healthy:

- Clippers
- Lakers
- Rockets
- Sixers
- Bucks

Likely Really Good But Maybe Not Great:

- Nuggets
- Jazz

Probably Not Contending But Could Be Really Good:

- Warriors
- Blazers
- Celtics
- Pacers

Definitely Playoff Worthy But Limited Ceiling:

- Raptors
- Heat
- Nets
- Spurs

Maybe A Playoff Team:

- Magic
- Kings
- Thunder
- Mavericks
- Bulls
- T-Wolves
- Pelicans
- Pistons

Rebuilding / Too Young

- Hawks
- Suns
- Grizzlies

Garbage:

- Wizards
- Cavaliers
- Knicks
- Hornets

TP, well structured.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I want you to imagine the current team doing that. I'm asking how you think that team you are imagining plays.
Okay so now for the serious answer but let me explain my first answer. In today's NBA environment with the Warrior dynasty seemingly over, any team with great talent, great coaching, talent that can develop and evolve into something even better and a rookie or two that could surprise everyone, has an outside chance this year. The NBA is wide open. So though the chances are extremely low, there is one best case scenario where the Celtics win it all. They might go 16-12 in the playoffs doing it but who cares?

Realistically what is their best case scenario? Kemba fitting in as well as Kyrie did his first 60 games here. Hayward returning to Utah Hayward. Tatum and Brown playing at an All-Star worthy level, even if not voted as such. Kanter being a double double machine and surprises with some very mediocre defense. Smart being Smart. Timelord becomes a rotational worthy player that gives the team a rim protector. A rookie plays at a possible top 5 Rookie of the Year candidate level. Team wins 50+ games in the regular season, is a top 3 in the East team and makes the ECF. That I think is this team's best case scenario.

I see this team more as a 45-49 win team that will struggle to be the defensive team Stevens expects out of his teams. I think the team will be very weak defending opposing team's quality bigs and that will cost a lot of wins. I think the lack of experienced NBA depth will show it's ugly head during the inevitable stretch of having a couple starters out at the same time for games at a time. I am not sure this team gets out of the 1st round of the playoffs but probably should get to play in the second round. I think you can pencil in Philly v Milwaukee for the ECFs barring injuries to Embiid or Giannis.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I don’t really understand the Utah love affair.  They’ll be good, but contenders?  People really think Conley is all that team needed?  I don’t see it.

They also got Bojan who is a very underrated player and acquisition. Losing Favors defense will hurt but he wasn’t a good fit next to Gobert. Adding 18 ppg and a guy who can space the floor while shooting 50% from the field and 43% from beyond the arc who also averages 1 steal per game is a huge add for a player like Donovan Mitchell. Also adding Conley’s ability in place of Rubio gives them a much better fit piece.

Along with the playmaking ability of Conley, Mitchell, and Inges, the shooting of Bojan, the two way leadership of Conley and the bench additions of EdDavis and Jeff Green... They’ve made tremendous improvements. I see them as a top 4 team in the West this year especially if Mitchell makes another leap.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I firmly believe this team will surprise everyone. With the black cloud gone and what amounts to a vote of support from Ainge for Tatum and Brown, by not being willing to trade them, and i think those two , plus a continually improving Hayward and a group that is pulling together and having some fun again will produce a very good team. My concern, as with others, is interior defense. I am always frustrated with Ainge it seems, due to his love affair with guards and lack of same for post players. This team needs Williams to make solid improvement.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce