Author Topic: Ski Trip  (Read 2470 times)

Ski Trip
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline wilymogilman

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
Hey guys-

I'm in the process of planning a ski trip with 5 other guys for February/March... we're thinking Salt Lake, Colorado, etc etc... we're all from Boston but guys are not located in DC, Cali, Maine and myself - Boston.

If you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate it! Flights seem to be relatively affordable as well, which is great..

Re: Ski Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I had a great time at Lake Tahoe on my honeymoon. Though the mountain isn't ideal for beginning skiers if you have any in your group.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »

Offline wilymogilman

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
Great - I'm likely the weakest of the 4 going on the trip. That said, we've been skiing since we were little kids and mountains in NE are typically not a problem.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd say skip CO and look at Salt Lake, Whistler, or Jackson Hole.

Salt Lake maybe the cheapest, and pretty cool because you can ride a different MT each day (they are all pretty close).  Plus certain places have deals where you get half off your lift ticket if you can show a same-day boarding pass from your flight (that's how close the MT's are to the airport).  Only draw back being the beer up there is 1/2 alcohol content, kind of weird getting a 2.5 porter...

Jackson Hole, I haven't been but it's next up on my list.  Not so much for that spot, but more so to ride at Grand Targhee on the other side of the range, which boasts legendary powder, short lift lines, and an option to get snow-cat rides to the top of your own private mountain -- looks epic all though likely really quiet.

Whistler is the crem de la crem.  If you can swing it -- do it.  I rode 3 days following a 2-3' dump.  Was still finding powder all over on day 3 despite 15k people on the mountain.  Place is massive & the new gondolas from the Olympics make it super accessible.  A little something for everyone and the village night life bumps.  Pricey, but worth every penny.  Here's a 3min go-pro trip summary if you want a preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpqSYfQLbno&feature=share&list=PL5E2DE730228BABC0

have fun & do some pow turns for me!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Great - I'm likely the weakest of the 4 going on the trip. That said, we've been skiing since we were little kids and mountains in NE are typically not a problem.

if you can ride icy NE, you can ride anywhere in the world