Author Topic: Interesting trade idea?  (Read 6285 times)

Re: Interesting trade idea?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Some people here wouldn’t trade Hayward unless it was for Embiid or Giannis ;D
Rather try and trade up than trade him for TT and the corpse of Iggy.

People here just want to trade because it’s been a rough 3 weeks, as if their ideas are actually helpful.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 05:17:16 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I don't give a lot of these Hayward trades any credence because I think you guys aren't figuring some important things into your equations.

1. Hayward's problems with the nerves in his previously broken foot are now out and when coupled with his play since coming back from his cortisone shots, means his trade stock has dropped precipitously. I am sure every GM Danny offers up Gordon to is asking their medical teams if Hayward's problems could be long term and if they don't get good answers, this drops Hayward's value more.

2. Teams really don't know if they are going to owe Hayward $15 million on an expiring contract or $49 million over a season and a half. Now some teams might not care, but most will. This tightens up your market and again drops Hayward's value.

3. This reduction in trade value of Hayward more than likely means, if someone is willing to take Hayward on, they now will want more draft capital to make up the value difference.

Maybe Cleveland would take Gordo to dump Love's salary. Clearly, they won't care about these things as to them, they are still saving tremendous amounts of long term money. But, does anyone here want Love's lack of defense and his 3.5 year/$105 million contract, a contract that makes you pay him in his 32-34 year old seasons?

Not sure what other teams won't care about how long Hayward is on their books, for how much and how good he will be during that time, just to get out from under a contract or get something of value because that team may lose one of their players to free agency.

TP

Hayward isn’t some all star prospect anymore. He’s a super solid player who makes the max and (imo) is our 4th best player behind Kemba-Jaylen-Jayson. You don’t trade him for nothing but I think people need to temper what kind of return you’re getting for Hayward.

Hypothetically, if we had cap space for a max player, would people here be on board signing Hayward to a 2 year max deal?
I'd rather have Hayward as our 4th best player than Drumond.  Drummond is only making 5M less that Hayward which won't make a difference.

Didn’t even mention Drummond in my post but ok
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 05:21:46 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

People here just want to trade because it’s been a rough 3 weeks, as if their ideas are actually helpful.

Lol I hope we successfully trade up then  ;D
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 05:39:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's fair, it's just unlikely because there isn't a big trade market right now, and Hayward's value is very variable.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I almost forgot two more points of comparison.

1. Drummond is a terrible free-throw shooter, which makes him hard to leave in at crunch time.

2. Enes this year is much more efficient on offense.

What's the appeal of adding a less-skilled-on-offense Kanter II to the roster?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_select=Andre+Drummond&y1=2020&player_id1=drumman01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Enes+Kanter&player_id2_select=Enes+Kanter&y2=2020&player_id2=kanteen01&idx=players

I agree. There is just absolutely no way in the world Danny would ever trade for Drummond while he has Kanter on the roster (and should be able to sign him at 120% at what he's making now or, at the very worst, the MLE).

I like Drummond, but he makes absolutely no sense as the type of big we need in our system. Heck, Kanter is excellent at what he does (inside scoring, rebounding) and he doesn't even start. I maintain that Hayward and Kanter is better than having Drummond and Kanter.

Drummond is better than Kanter at blocking shots and is more mobile than Kanter.

Go to the player comparison at the link. Their per-36 number on blocks is nearly the same - 1.9 - 1.7. Again, I watched him closely when we played Detroit. He provided almost zero deterrent at the rim. Not close to a Turner or Lopez or Embiid.

Look at the other numbers, where he’s clearly worse. Like TS%. Or turnovers - 3.5 - 1 per 36.

Maybe maybe he’s a mild upgrade on Kanter.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

That's fair, it's just unlikely because there isn't a big trade market right now, and Hayward's value is very variable.

That’s an interesting way of putting it. I, on the other hand, don’t think Hayward (even pre-injury Hayward) could’ve netted you either Embiid or Giannis right now.

- LilRip

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
One idea I haven't seen is Valanciunas and Iggy for Hayward and Poirier.

Iggy is an ideal low usage/distributor/defender that could play next to our other wings. Valanciunas gives us a starting center.

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I am all for a marginal upgrade IF one of the top 5 is NOT included.  For a MS or GH to be included there needs to be a clear upgrade and a younger player, think Sabonis, Miles turner type.  We want the team clearly better if a core 5 is being moved, aand can't epect much more than a marginal upgrade if one of the 5 is not moved.  THere are not minutes available to make it a big 6 anyhow.

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 10:02:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hayward and a pick or two for Thompson and Nance Jr.?

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Hayward and a pick or two for Thompson and Nance Jr.?
I don't see the point in both of them and frankly, I'm not sure what the point in either is.  Boston isn't a contender post trade and I don't think Thompson or Nance would be on the team long term (though at least Nance is signed long term, but how many 10+ million role players does the team need). 

If Boston trades Hayward it should be for a real legit star or players that you realistically think compliment Tatum and Brown long term.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
I don't give a lot of these Hayward trades any credence because I think you guys aren't figuring some important things into your equations.

1. Hayward's problems with the nerves in his previously broken foot are now out and when coupled with his play since coming back from his cortisone shots, means his trade stock has dropped precipitously. I am sure every GM Danny offers up Gordon to is asking their medical teams if Hayward's problems could be long term and if they don't get good answers, this drops Hayward's value more.

2. Teams really don't know if they are going to owe Hayward $15 million on an expiring contract or $49 million over a season and a half. Now some teams might not care, but most will. This tightens up your market and again drops Hayward's value.

3. This reduction in trade value of Hayward more than likely means, if someone is willing to take Hayward on, they now will want more draft capital to make up the value difference.

Maybe Cleveland would take Gordo to dump Love's salary. Clearly, they won't care about these things as to them, they are still saving tremendous amounts of long term money. But, does anyone here want Love's lack of defense and his 3.5 year/$105 million contract, a contract that makes you pay him in his 32-34 year old seasons?

Not sure what other teams won't care about how long Hayward is on their books, for how much and how good he will be during that time, just to get out from under a contract or get something of value because that team may lose one of their players to free agency.

TP

Hayward isn’t some all star prospect anymore. He’s a super solid player who makes the max and (imo) is our 4th best player behind Kemba-Jaylen-Jayson. You don’t trade him for nothing but I think people need to temper what kind of return you’re getting for Hayward.

Hypothetically, if we had cap space for a max player, would people here be on board signing Hayward to a 2 year max deal?
I'd rather have Hayward as our 4th best player than Drumond.  Drummond is only making 5M less that Hayward which won't make a difference.

Didn’t even mention Drummond in my post but ok
This thread started with a trade idea for Drummond so I just assumed.  Sorry.  Who do you want to trade him for?

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Ainge won’t trade Hayward after what he been thru..remember what ppl said when he traded Thomas
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
One idea I haven't seen is Valanciunas and Iggy for Hayward and Poirier.  >:(

Iggy is an ideal low usage/distributor/defender that could play next to our other wings. Valanciunas gives us a starting center.

Memphis won’t trade V. They’re going to the playoffs and he’s a big part of it.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I hadn't seen this one before but it makes some sense for all three teams...

"NBA Rumors: Andre Drummond To Celtics, Gordon Hayward To Mavericks In A Proposed Three-Team Trade"

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/01/19/nba-rumors-andre-drummond-to-celtics-gordon-hayward-to-mavericks-in-a-proposed-three-team-trade/

This seems like less of a rumor and more of a speculative trade to create conversation.

Why would the Pistons do this trade? They get nothing in return that helps them build toward the future or put people in the seats.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet