Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 456792 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #630 on: March 19, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

Kiorrik

1) Rules are tools to prevent abuse by using the forum software. Not to restrict posting by any individual.

2) Exceptio probat regulam. Look it up, under "original meaning" on WikiPedia.

3) Cliques matter when people enter the gray area in message-board ethics & rules. Stay out of it, and you'll never care about how others are judged.

Explaining these three into great detail (or applying them to the "Nick" case) would water them down, so I'll leave it at this for now.

« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2010, 11:50:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That is untrue, Roy.

- I did not criticize the staff... I asked why the rules were being bent, considering Nick was allowed to use two accounts. I thought Nick was using both accounts simultaneously. For the most part I was wrong and I rescinded my comment. Therefore, I made the mistake and was no longer being critical of the mods.

I think it is weird that a bunch of people had their TP totals jump, I believe while Nick had mod abilities. Shortly after this Nick left the blog... and then as it turns out he never left at all. What really happened there? If he really wanted a fresh start, why did he decide to leave the PLamb account and go back to nickagneta.

Okay first in answering why someone would have two accounts you mentioned a reason would be to giving yourself Tommy Points. You said this in a thread in which I started, and during which I admitted to twice using one account to make a joke, though I had permanently switched to another. When I responded strongly because I misunderstood your intentions you became insulted so I apologized to you in a PM. A PM that you have yet to have the grace to respond to.

Now, perhaps I am reading something into this that I should not be, but now you think I had mod abilities and that when I did there was a major boost of Tommy Points for people. The inference to me is clear in that you think I was giving out huge amounts of Tommy Points to people and, given your last response in the other thread, I am sorry if I am taking this personally or the wrong way, but I can't help think you are leaving something unsaid here for fear of retribution and that that something is very close to what you posted in that other thread that I apologized for.

Let me make something perfectly clear. I was never a mod. EVER.

I never gave anyone more than one Tommy Point at a time and quite honestly I can't remember more than once or twice ever giving a single person more than 2 or 3 Tommy Points in one day.

Why did I stop being nickagneta, because of stuff like this and more. Lots of people assumed what you are stating here. For all I know there may have been a group of people passing that info around much the way people are passing around info that if you question the mods you will get suspended. Quite honestly, I suspect that is what happened.

Why did it happen? Well, let's lay it on the line. Some people were upset because Fafnir got named moderator and I got the CB HOF Editor title. Why? Because they wanted someone else or a couple of someone elses to become the next moderator or moderators. The unhappiness became vocal and a divide occurred. I, because of a friendly relationship with some mods and that title was grouped into an "in" crowd with the mods.

Because of that there was a definite belligerent attitude being given to anyone considered staff and that included me. But I wasn't staff, I was just a guy helping out with a section of one particular area of the blog. I had no mod powers. But if I got into a debate with someone inevitably I would hear the "well I better end this here or you'll just suspend me" or "you mods should have less of a confrontational style" and some things even less nice. The most aggravating stuff became the passive aggressive, within the rules, insults that started coming my way and other aggravating things.

When the game threads, one of my favorite places here at Celticsblog suddenly took on a surly realist vs blind optimist feel to them, that was it. I wanted to leave. Roy sent me PMs asking me to reconsider. I left for about a week but decided I didn't want to come back with all the same stuff being present so I decided a second identity would be best to start things anew.

During my absence Roy started a thread asking about Tommy Points and a bunch of stuff came out and then the mods started jacking up TPs. As far as I am concerned it was a brilliant move on the mods part to de-emphasize the importance of Tommy Points as a status figure around the site that some were heavily promoting.

When I came in as PLamb, the mods knew right away(same IP address). My time as PLamb was very enjoyable. I went back to being just another guy that posts here and not being treated as someone in authority or in an "in" crowd.

While in a debate with one of the mods they accidentally used my name, nick, rather than PLamb. Some people caught on. Given the opinions being the same and the style of debating being the same, it was only a matter of time before everyone knew. Knowing the end of PLamb was coming I posted as nickagneta twice, once as a joke, once to recommend boxers as a type of dog. Obviously if PLamb said to get a boxer it was only going to further the bringing forth of my second identity.

Roy then discussed with me the need to choose one identity or the other because I should never have posted under two identities. So I chose to return to nickagneta.

There, now you have almost all of it. There is some more with details and names best left unsaid, but that is just about everything.

I hope that clears things up for you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:04:38 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

It's not beyond anyone's means--nobody said you should hire a professional ombudsman.  If you're serious, though, we can go into it with more detail, but wouldn't it be easy enough to have a nominating thread, then a vote, the winner of which to be approved by the staff?  It would be a non-paying gig, of course.

In my mind, to improve the perception of this site, a Celticsblog ombudsman would have be privy to the inner-workings of the site, such as the internal discussions regarding disciplinary measures, and could also be a mediary in disputes (though not the ultimate decider), and perhaps would be required to give state of blog reports every so often about his or her views... 

How would that person be neutral?  And why are they more neutral than the staff, or Jeff (who usually stays out of moderating decisions?)

Neutrality isn't at issue, Roy, as we've already agreed that some bias is inherent in any system of justice or process of adjudication. 

An ombudsman would not have to be neutral so much as be respected by mods and members alike.  Respected to the point that their words are trusted.  Again, we're talking about a perception problem--one that could get resolved if a universally respected person was given access to the inner-workings at Celticsblog and given the forum to dispell or verify whatever 'perceptions' were being created via mod/member interaction.

I don't think there's a dichotomy between "staff" and "membership".  I mean, all of the staffs are members, who post a lot and give their opinions, just like anybody else.  Any member can become a member of the staff at any time, upon selection and acceptance.  However, if there was such a dichotomy, how would choosing a ombudsman from the membership help this dichotomy?  Wouldn't they simply be more sympathetic toward the membership, rather than the staff?

I think you're locked a little too tightly into your own perspective, Roy.  There's a definite mod/member power dichotomy, one that colors every mod/member interaction on this board.

As far as what an ombudsman could do to help this board, I think he or she could remove some of the suspence regarding disciplinary measures, and possibly act in a positive manner towards addressing some of the favoritism claims.  One of the common refrains I've heard so far from mods is that things look shady sometimes because disciplinary decisions are necessarily kept private, the assumption being that if members saw what the mods were really doing and the kinds of back and forth they engaged in over an issue, then they'd see that there was no favoritism at play.  With a respected ombudsman privy to these discussions, perception regarding the true nature of such disciplinary measures would improve, IMO.

It makes no sense to me, but regardless, I don't really take the perception problem seriously.  If people believe something that isn't true, even after all of the counter-examples, there's not much I or any other staff member can do to change it.

Again, what's truth have to do with anything?  We're talking about perception, one that you don't share, nor take seriously (neither the substance of it, nor its prevelance amongst Celticsblog members).  However, I'd suggest you're missing the point with your truth claims.  Your counter-examples, all of them, are based on things you expect us to take on faith (as in, trust us, we really discuss these things and every decision is made collectively, so no one member has power), and then when a certain percentage of Celticsblog members question your faith-based assertions, you turn around and say that their opinions don't matter since you can't help it when people believe something that isn't true.  Oh yeah?  To me, it sounds like you only really care about the opinions of the people who believe what you say, and that the rest of the blog can go to hell.

My guess would be that a lot of the people sending out PMs are people who have been disciplined, or who have had their friends disciplined.  It's pretty obvious where their anti-staff bias comes from, and the fact that they're intentionally reaching out to new members to "poison the well" says a lot about their motives and credibility.

Does it, really?  It's pretty obvious?  This is exactly what I'm talking about when I lament the fact that instead of taking someone's concerns at face value, the mod staff--for the most part--jumps right to questioning someone's motives.  And you wonder why people would rather PM their concerns than post them in this thread!  Isn't it obvious?  They don't want their motive attacked for simply questioning what amounts to a faith-based assurance that everything is on the up-and-up around here, even when appearances might say otherwise.

I'd also add that mods don't really have "power". We can't do anything on our own without the consent and rewiew of the other mods. There is trust that we'll all be reasonable in our initial actions but we talk about everything.

And I'd like to add that we have to take this all on faith.  In my experience, 'initial actions' carry the weight of conviction, unless there's a sympathetic mod in your corner to argue for you.  As I see it, if you're in the out-crowd on this board and you cross a mod in the forums, and they find a questionable post that may or may not have broken the rules, they can easily discipline a member in basically a unilateral manner, knowing that there won't be any mods who would either bother to take the time to argue the other side, or who would even be able to make a case, since it's usually some ambiguous part of the rules which are allegedly broken.

Now, I really do think the mods do a fantastic job; however, I can easily see the instances where it appears they don't.  Instead of asking every one to 'trust' that you're doing a great job, why not set up a process which removes some of the doubt and actually shows the quality of job regularly performed by mods?  Wouldn't that be better than impugning the motive of everyone who doesn't agree with you?

Regarding the ombundsman, doesn't the whole election of an ombundsman then become a popularity contest based on likes and dislikes and not necessarily on qualifications? What happens if someone with a clear anti-mod agenda gets elected like one of the people sending out PMs to barefacedmonk? What good does that do anyone as the drama that would ensue regarding electing someone and the problems a person with a clear agenda would cause would be ridiculous.

Well, first of all, an ombudsman would have to be approved by the staff, since they would need the staff's respect to be able to do their duties and improve Celticsblog's perception problem.  As such, someone with a clear anti-mod agenda would never become ombudsman.

Also, if someone with a clear agenda were elected, wouldn't that say quite a lot about the actual state of affairs here on Celticblog?  In fact, if such a person did get elected, it would be proof positive of the need for a respected ombudsman.  This is not a problem.

The bottom line for me is that if you feel this sight is not treating you right, or not being "fair" or playing favorites, or whatever you can't stand (and you can't seem to resolve it to your own satisfaction) then just move on please! - quickly, quietly and without anger. All people don't fit in all places.

This is site about the Boston Celtics and at the end of the day it should be fun and if it isn't fun then please just call it a day and go.

Po, I enjoy your posts immensely, but I think you (and the others who have posted similar thoughts) miss the point.  We know that we can leave anytime and we know that whatever happens on Celticsblog is not important AT ALL in the grand scheme of things.  We don't need to be reminded--it's a given.

But the question still remains: what should those members do about things they'd like to see improved on this site?  This thread, if taken in good faith, is an open discussion on rules/restrictions and a "you-can-leave-if-you-don't-like-it" lament doesn't jive with those intentions, even if it's true and wise. 

I only brought up this issue because I'd seen it minimized and explained away previously as the biased rantings of an angry minority.  To me, it's more than that--I think there's a real feeling out in the membership that questions the way things are enforced and that feeling has, over the years, led to ugly drama whereby good, solid, thought-provoking members have been made to leave, either by their choice or not.  With every defection, the community loses; as such, this perception problem should be eliminated, if possible, in attempt to help the community grow in richness. To me, the only way to eliminate this problem  is to introduce an omdudsman to bridge the gap between mod/member relations.

So, yeah, I can leave anytime I want, but so can everyone else.  What I'm really concerned about is making people want to stay.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #633 on: March 22, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Do you have a nomination for this "ombudsman"? 

« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
salmonandmashedspuds seems the obvious candidate to me.

his last post was not only articulate, but showed the sort of patience and perspective that an ombudsman would need to have if that person were be successful.

a number of questions concerning the role of the proposed ombudsman would need to be cleared up first. also, i would think that it would be useful to involve the general unwashed cb masses in the process, at least marginally.

thank you for a very intelligent post salmon.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I would like to say Bravo for an incredibly heartfelt post Salmon and Mashed.  I dont agree with everything you say, there but i can tell you put alot of thought into it.  

One thing I would like to strike down is the thought that if you cross a mod, all they have to do is go through and look for a post of yours that they determine breaks the rules and then they will initiate disciplinary actions.  

I am somebody that has had my fair share of questionable posts and have butted heads with a couple of Mods here, some on multiple occasions.  I also havent had any trouble staying on the site and not being suspended.  I find that the relationship i have with some of the mods i have crossed is much like the relationship with other posters i dont get along with.  I may not love what they post and they dont love what i post, but we are civil with eachother.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #636 on: March 22, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
salmonandmashedspuds seems the obvious candidate to me.

his last post was not only articulate, but showed the sort of patience and perspective that an ombudsman would need to have if that person were be successful.

a number of questions concerning the role of the proposed ombudsman would need to be cleared up first. also, i would think that it would be useful to involve the general unwashed cb masses in the process, at least marginally.

thank you for a very intelligent post salmon.
Any sort of election for the position would be a bad idea. I'm not sure appointment would work either.

« Reply #637 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I would have to say that if an ombudsman were to be elected, it would have to be a unanimous choice.  

The way I understand this, among some members of the community, there is a distrust of the staff in general.  There is a perception by some people that we are not always being fair.  Is that correct?

So, if we are going to correct this by making a non-staff-member privy to private discussions, then that non-staff-member needs to be more respected by every member of the site, or else that person's assurances will be taken with the same grain of salt that is afforded the staff, and we are right back where we started, except, we have compromised the privacy of the posters by allowing a non-staff-member to be privy to the private discussions of the staff, regarding these posters.

« Reply #638 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I would have to say that if an ombudsman were to be elected, it would have to be a unanimous choice.  

The way I understand this, among some members of the community, there is a distrust of the staff in general.  There is a perception by some people that we are not always being fair.  Is that correct?

So, if we are going to correct this by making a non-staff-member privy to private discussions, then that non-staff-member needs to be more respected by every member of the site, or else that person's assurances will be taken with the same grain of salt that is afforded the staff, and we are right back where we started, except, we have compromised the privacy of the posters by allowing a non-staff-member to be privy to the private discussions of the staff, regarding these posters.

I say we assign every member a member-number, then using a random number generator generate a number evertime there is a disciplinary action.  The member who is assigned that member number is then drafted to be on the disciplinary board for that disciplinary decision.  It would be like Celticsblog Jury duty.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #639 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I say we assign every member a member-number, then using a random number generator generate a number evertime there is a disciplinary action.  The member who is assigned that member number is then drafted to be on the disciplinary board for that disciplinary decision.  It would be like Celticsblog Jury duty.

That is likely a ton of work for the mods, but also probably the best idea I've heard if something is to be done.

« Reply #640 on: March 22, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just out of curiosity, how many people get banned or suspended from this blog? Is this a rampant issue?

« Reply #641 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

That is likely a ton of work for the mods, but also probably the best idea I've heard if something is to be done.

It was one of those posts that is kinda a joke but also seems like a good idea, but I agree, a ton of work. 

« Reply #642 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Just out of curiosity, how many people get banned or suspended from this blog? Is this a rampant issue?

Absolutely not.  I hesitate to put a number on it off the top of my head, but other than spammers, I would guess you could count the number of posters who have been banned in the last year on one hand...and for suspensions, you probably would not need to take off your shoes.

« Reply #643 on: March 22, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Terrible idea, posters have different standards many of them far from CBs rules.

Also a great many more posters wouldn't want to bother, so then discipline decisions would take much much longer. That's not good for any party.

Those that would "serve" would suddenly have access to the private disciplining making it much harder to keep such things quiet and private.

« Reply #644 on: March 22, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think you are underestimating the pain in the butt factor of that idea. There are a LOT of actions taken by mods. Whether it is editing a post or banning a spammer or whatever. What I think you really want is to make sure someone is there when an established poster is banned. I can understand that. I disagree with it, wholeheartedly, because I know how we do it, and I know how we handle disagreements, and I know that adding a completely unpredictable, and assuredly biased random opinion to the mix would be counterproductive, but I understand it.

You make friends on here, you get posters whos posts you look forward to reading. Losing them without knowing the whole story is frustrating. I could understand that too. I can tell you that as a mod there have been a few people that have been banned that pained me to see them go. But, if someone breaks the big rules (offensive behavior, insulting, just basically being a complete butthole and being mean to the rest of the members that disagree with them is really the one that we dislike the most) enough times, and/or shows no inclination of changing the behavior, they get banned, plain and simple. I keep reading about consistency, but we are consistent in that. Almost everyone gets a second chance, unless they decide to just nuke the place on their way out.

regarding S&MP's post...one thing that I find kind of troubling...you ask for transparency, or the parties you represent ask for transparency, or unnamed people who have certain feelings they can't voice themselves but they're still there, or whatever. You/they want transparency..but what about us? We hear rumors about our own behaviors all the time, but the people spreading these rumors (see: I have heard from many people, established posters on the site, that the mods something something) never come forward. Heck they never even have the decency to shoot us a PM. The people that have come forward in this thread with concerns, they don't get banned, but if there is a silent majority out there, why so quiet?

Next time you have a problem, or hear a rumor, or feel like a mod is basically just being a royal jerk, tell them, or tell another mod. See what happens. You don't always get what you want, but if you feel like you werent treated fairly, then call me a liar. I imagine you will be surprised.

Except anything regarding Master Po. I'm not touching that. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner