Author Topic: Survey:How many hours would you spend on exercising everyday?  (Read 9455 times)

Re: Survey:How many hours would you spend on exercising everyday?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
can I reiterate how much I hate running for running's sake - any ideas on making it more fun?  Shadowboxing invisible zombies?
If you don't like it, you probably never will.  Running on trails in the woods, at the beach, or places where there is nice scenery helps.  Tracks and treadmills are boring.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Actually shadowboxing invisible zombies might help!

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
having children and a family really impacts how much u can work out.  for me, i do kung fu training, run when i can, play ball when i can, and lift when i can.  i would say i get about 5 hrs total a week, but it varies day to day depending on my priorities and responsibilities as a father and husband.
This is spot on true. Exactly my situation. Family time really cuts into your ability to exercise...but family is worth it!!!

Same here. After a year with a new baby, I finally have some free time. I joined a local BJJ school and hope to get a consistent 2 works outs per week in.

It is slow progress get back in shape though. Having a desk job, not working out for a year+, and being 40 really can take a toll.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does the question assume I am a young independently wealthy individual like Prince William (4 hours 5 days a week) or a middle class guy with a wife and kid.? (I'd be doing good to get in 1.5)

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Actually shadowboxing invisible zombies might help!

I tried today, I just laughed and felt people on the street were looking at me funny, so I stopped...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
can I reiterate how much I hate running for running's sake - any ideas on making it more fun?  Shadowboxing invisible zombies?

Haha, I like the zombie thing...in all seriousness, though, I am with you. I usually run a couple of times on the treadmill per week and it kind of sucks. I always have my iPod, which makes it more bearable. I also run fairly fast (for a shorter period of time), rather than slower (for a longer period of time).

I also go through periods of time when I don't run at all, I just play bball. I find that is much more exercise than running and helps with lateral movements and sprinting...you can even get quite a bit of exercise just shooting around by yourself, if you aren't lazy about it...

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Gave up running many years ago, when an orthopedic doctor friend of mine told me it would destroy my knees in short order. My favorite replacement, by way of what time is afforded me, has been stationary bike for 20 to 45 minutes, and Total Gym or free weights. The bike allows me to actually get work done while exercising, which is a huge plus for me.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Haha, I like the zombie thing...in all seriousness, though, I am with you. I usually run a couple of times on the treadmill per week and it kind of sucks. I always have my iPod, which makes it more bearable. I also run fairly fast (for a shorter period of time), rather than slower (for a longer period of time).

I also go through periods of time when I don't run at all, I just play bball. I find that is much more exercise than running and helps with lateral movements and sprinting...you can even get quite a bit of exercise just shooting around by yourself, if you aren't lazy about it...

yeah basketball is my favorite way to get exercise, but I'm training for a 5k, and bball wasn't building the endurance I need (as it's mostly sprints, which I'm already good at), so running sadly is the only way to go. I've never run with music, but I do have an ipod; would have to get a clip or something....

other question on running is breathing, I tend to breathe in with my nose and out with the mouth, and I'm wondering if there's a better way to get breath in..
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

yeah basketball is my favorite way to get exercise, but I'm training for a 5k, and bball wasn't building the endurance I need (as it's mostly sprints, which I'm already good at), so running sadly is the only way to go. I've never run with music, but I do have an ipod; would have to get a clip or something....

other question on running is breathing, I tend to breathe in with my nose and out with the mouth, and I'm wondering if there's a better way to get breath in..

If you are playing a lot of b-ball it should definitely bring your endurance up. If you are playing for an hour or so thats basically running around for an hour which is pretty good. 5K isn't too bad at least it's not a half or full marathon which can get real boring to train for. I did a half marathon and "trained" for it a little but wow I hated just running to run. I actually liked running on the treadmill a bit more because i could keep the exact pace i wanted and run the exact  length that i wanted. Doing a longer run on the treadmill might not be such a good idea though as I hurt my knee from all the pounding it took while i was running on it. Check out mapmyrun.com where you can design your own run outside. It's pretty good because you can design different routes and areas to run so you don't get bored and you can keep track of how much you are running etc.

As for your breathing question I don't know too much about what is technically correct. I usually try and breath out more than I am taking in. The main thing is to keep a rhythm and stay focused.