Author Topic: Why are some words ok and others are not?  (Read 16175 times)

Re: Why are some words ok and others are not?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Again, you may be right about the origins of the word however it is not the current meaning of the word and you know it.  And at this point you are just trolling which is against the rules of this blog

I don't see how him having an opinion that's supported by webster's dictionary is trolling.

transitive verb 1 : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment ,to impede

2 : to delay academic progress by failure to promote

I'm going to put myself in the  un-pc minority here. To me there is nothing wrong with saying it if your clearly not using it in a derogatory way against the group it's hurtful to. Clearly it's highly offensive to the mentally challenged, and should not be used against them or to analogize someones behavior to them.

But to say something is retarded, or some idea is retarded is not the same thing. your invoking the bold term.

Why should the PC crowd get to change this word's meaning to make themselves feel better? Context matters here, Unlike the  racial slurs and cuss words mentioned, IT actually has a meaning outside hate or shock value, and there's nothing wrong with using it that way.

To sum it up, used in hate, awful behavior. Used in other ways, not at all.

The PC movement, at times, seems to be built on people being to poor at conversation comprehension to denote and analyze context, to an alarming degree.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Personally I just dont know why somebody would knowlingy choose to use a word that hurtful to others when there are so many others available that mean the same thing.  And I guess I disagree, when you call somebody retarded most people arent saying, "Man you are really slowing us up and hindering advancement."  you are saying, "You must have a diminished mental capacity that inhibits you from acting by social norms in this situation." 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
we need basketball badly.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Co-sign.  Between this and the Kanye thread I'm getting a headache.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Again, you may be right about the origins of the word however it is not the current meaning of the word and you know it.  And at this point you are just trolling which is against the rules of this blog

I don't see how him having an opinion that's supported by webster's dictionary is trolling.

transitive verb 1 : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment ,to impede

2 : to delay academic progress by failure to promote

I'm going to put myself in the  un-pc minority here. To me there is nothing wrong with saying it if your clearly not using it in a derogatory way against the group it's hurtful to. Clearly it's highly offensive to the mentally challenged, and should not be used against them or to analogize someones behavior to them.

But to say something is retarded, or some idea is retarded is not the same thing. your invoking the bold term.

Why should the PC crowd get to change this word's meaning to make themselves feel better? Context matters here, Unlike the  racial slurs and cuss words mentioned, IT actually has a meaning outside hate or shock value, and there's nothing wrong with using it that way.

To sum it up, used in hate, awful behavior. Used in other ways, not at all.

The PC movement, at times, seems to be built on people being to poor at conversation comprehension to denote and analyze context, to an alarming degree.

You and the other guy in here should win the common sense award. Soon there are going to be no words left that we can say out of fear of offending some group. Are we to call stupid people IQ Challenged"?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593

I can TP for that.

C's Blog without Bball is like a prison without activities for the prisoners.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I am actually genuinely surprised at the lack of support I am getting on this one.  I guess I thought that it was something that more people noticed.  I respect your opinions and I definitly think its interesting to say the least.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Personally I just dont know why somebody would knowlingy choose to use a word that hurtful to others when there are so many others available that mean the same thing.  And I guess I disagree, when you call somebody retarded most people arent saying, "Man you are really slowing us up and hindering advancement."  you are saying, "You must have a diminished mental capacity that inhibits you from acting by social norms in this situation." 

We are disagreeing, which is fine.

that "everyone uses it the way I precive them to, and no other way can be foreseeable. since it might be offensive to others, we must be careful never to discuss it." reasoning is what turn's me off about the political correctness movement.

It's heart is in the right place, but what it leads to is incredible blandness in every day conversation where everyone has to watch every word they say for fear it might offend some social minority.

IT's like high school popularity contests, only with terms. The entire movement, while again founded in good faith, assumes the worst in everyone and tries to ignore the issues (such as actual discrimination against minorities) by frighting people into not discussing issues openly.

In my mind, Political correctness has set back race relations, chiefly, by a good number of years, because it's forced racism underground, and people don't address it because they would then be labled "un-PC" and stigmatized.

/rant off   :P
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
But Crownsy Im in no way for not discussing this topic.  I am all about discussing this topic and why people use the words they do.  And to a certain extent when you use the word retarded you are belittling those born with mental handicaps whether its your intention or not.  When you use the word because your friend fell while drunk, you belittle the family of the mentally handicapped that devote their lives to make sure that those who may not be able to fend for themselves are taken care of after they are gone or no longer able to care for them.

(Hypothetical you, not you crownsy or anybody else here)

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Ok well im pretty sure you may be the only person who thinks that calling somebody dumb and calling somebody retarded are on the same level, but since it bothers you I wont use that word on here anymore.  However I do request that you refrain from posting anymore on this topic.  You have made your point clear that you will not stop using the words retard and retarded.

Please don't tell me where I can and cannot post on this public forum.  As bad as (in your mind) using these words; to me, is you have this higher than thou authority because you have a differing opinion and apparantly find me to be some type of mongrel neanderthal disrespectful thug... I don't even know what words to use around you without offending some type group in the world.

Maybe I should stop eating meat because it disgusts vegans...  ::)

I'll decide when to stop posting somewhere. And I now believe I am done.

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Ok well im pretty sure you may be the only person who thinks that calling somebody dumb and calling somebody retarded are on the same level, but since it bothers you I wont use that word on here anymore.  However I do request that you refrain from posting anymore on this topic.  You have made your point clear that you will not stop using the words retard and retarded.

Please don't tell me where I can and cannot post on this public forum.  As bad as (in your mind) using these words; to me, is you have this higher than thou authority because you have a differing opinion and apparantly find me to be some type of mongrel neanderthal disrespectful thug... I don't even know what words to use around you without offending some type group in the world.

Wow ok, well as you quoted me, I didnt tell you to do anything, i asked you not to post in thread.(Sorry, I said forum but meant thread)  And personally I dont find you anything to be anything.  I guess I just dont see why anybody would purposefully use a word that hurts others when they could just as easily replace it.  I dont know personally I choose not to make light of those that cant defend themselves

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Wow ok, well as you quoted me, I didnt tell you to do anything, i asked you not to post in thread.(Sorry, I said forum but meant thread)  And personally I dont find you anything to be anything.  I guess I just dont see why anybody would purposefully use a word that hurts others when they could just as easily replace it.  I dont know personally I choose not to make light of those that cant defend themselves

I can't help myself...

What do they have to defend themselves against?  I am not going up to mentally challenged people and calling them retarded.

If I call someone retarded I'm calling them stupid. 

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
But Crownsy Im in no way for not discussing this topic.  I am all about discussing this topic and why people use the words they do.  And to a certain extent when you use the word retarded you are belittling those born with mental handicaps whether its your intention or not.  When you use the word because your friend fell while drunk, you belittle the family of the mentally handicapped that devote their lives to make sure that those who may not be able to fend for themselves are taken care of after they are gone or no longer able to care for them.

(Hypothetical you, not you crownsy or anybody else here)

No, in your opinion, those people are belittling that group, and that's the heart of the political correctness movement. That idea that people should be censored based on the fact that what they say may be offensive. and that's the scary part of political correctness, it forces a majority's opinion of what is and isn't offensive on others and inhibits free speech based on the ideal that people are morons, and won't be able to figure out on their own what is offensive and intolerable speech from others.

In a nutshell, the PC ideal is "my opinion of what this means is right, and if you disagree with me, your wrong."

But do you see how 1) that's unfair, your projecting your interpretation of what the word says or the speakers meaning onto others. I.E policing their thoughts for them.

and 2) It doesn't help to bring the actual issue, that the person is unlearned on the plight of the mentally handicapped, to light.

Do you honestly think that just because people don't use racist terms in the south, due to the political correctness movement, that racism has gotten better? It just means those racists who would have been easily identified and stigmatized by their hate speech now hide behind the very movement that trumpets to oppose them by affecting outrage and disfavor whenever a real, biting racial issue is brought to light.

And for what, a false sense of normalcy that doesn't actually exist? I must have missed where in the constitution it said that everyone had a duty to be non-offensive to everyone else.

It's ok to get offended at times, it provokes discussion, and perhaps even real analysis of the issues. Political correctness promotes social falsehood to avoid actually addressing issues that matter.

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
All im saying is, if you throw hurtful words around in passing you never know who is hearing it.  If you can stop from ruining somebodys day just by replacing one word in your vocabulary why are you so hesitant about it.  But I mean really its the golden rule, do you think you would people throwing it around if say you had a brother who is retarded.  I do and personally I find it incredibly ignorant.  

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
\I find it incredibly ignorant.  

I hate even more when people call other people  ignorant
I mean
Is there really a universal ignorant  8)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!