Author Topic: How did you get into the Celtics  (Read 9003 times)

Re: How did you get into the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
First NBA game I saw on television was  Celtics - Hawks in the 85/86 season. I thought Larry Bird was fun to watch because he could score no matter what.(I was 8 years old  ;D

I tried to imitate Bird's game against my cousin, who had decided he would be a Lakers fan...

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Would anyone admit if they started watching the Celtics once they traded for KG?

Would that be a bad thing?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Would anyone admit if they started watching the Celtics once they traded for KG?

The championship was great, the playoffs, amazing. 

The year before our championship, the regular season... was well pretty [dang] amazing in its own right.  Every game was close, hard fought, and we played nothing but our kids.  Very entertaining and unfortunately equally frustrating as we lost most of those games only in the final couple minutes.

If you watched that season then the championship must really have meant more to you then someone who hasn't. That is undeniable.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29

Would that be a bad thing?

Not at all, just wondering if someone would admit it.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
01-02 season.. I am only 19 years old always played basketball and loved watching Jordan in the 90's. The only games i watch all the time was the knicks cause my dad loves them. In 6th grade though my uncle was down from Maine and he was telling me to watch this game and watch Paul Pierce number 34. As i watched them destroy the 76ers i began to follow them. So my uncle R.I.P. told me to start watching them and i did! Thank God for him and thank God for the Celtics!

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
01-02 season.. I am only 19 years old always played basketball and loved watching Jordan in the 90's. The only games i watch all the time was the knicks cause my dad loves them. In 6th grade though my uncle was down from Maine and he was telling me to watch this game and watch Paul Pierce number 34. As i watched them destroy the 76ers i began to follow them. So my uncle R.I.P. told me to start watching them and i did! Thank God for him and thank God for the Celtics!

good story, I can't wait for you to have to change your SN =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I do. I'm living in France I've discovered the NBA during the 2006-2007 season, and got amazed by the Suns, and rooted for them. I discovered the Celtics and "The Big Three" in the summer of 2007, was curious about the team, watched it and then fell in love. I know I'm a "bandwagon" fan but since I didn't follow the NBA one year before I think it came logically in the process of discovering other teams and the one I would really root for.

Anyway these last two years of Celtics basketball have been great and I really think I will follow the team even after its current glory days ; love of the franchise, transmitted successfully by CB! :)

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I do. I'm living in France I've discovered the NBA during the 2006-2007 season, and got amazed by the Suns, and rooted for them. I discovered the Celtics and "The Big Three" in the summer of 2007, was curious about the team, watched it and then fell in love. I know I'm a "bandwagon" fan but since I didn't follow the NBA one year before I think it came logically in the process of discovering other teams and the one I would really root for.

Anyway these last two years of Celtics basketball have been great and I really think I will follow the team even after its current glory days ; love of the franchise, transmitted successfully by CB! :)

and I sitll like you!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Pierce.

I was flipping through channels and caught the 4th qtr of a game where Pierce just went off. I continued to watch that season which happened to be he 02 ECF run. It was down hill from there(until 07-08  ;D), but glad to say I missed the Pitino years. During those years Pierce was something like the highest scoring player in the 4th quarter. I just wishe we couldve gotten this caliber of a team around him earlier.

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Im from the Washington DC area.  My dad loves football and baseball, my mom always liked basketball.  Her dad, my grandfather, was a basketball coach when she was growing up.  She says he was always a Celtics fan........Anyways, in the bedroom i grew up in, my parents had put up two big posters of John Riggins from the Redskins, and also a big Larry Bird poster.  Those were up in my room from as far back as I can remember up until middle school when I took them down and put up some more up to date stuff.  (My dad took them and put them up in his garage)

So naturally the two sports I follow the most, and are the most passionate about are football and basketball.  I love the Skins and the Celtics.  I was always GREAT at playing baseball though.  My first memory watching the Celtics was being real young and watching a whole game at my grandmothers house with my Aunt, I cant remember how old I was, but I remember them pointing out Larry Bird to me.  She then got me a green and white Celtics basketball for Christmas, and it was all over from then on......
Greg

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 05:21:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's official. Drucci is my favorite bandwagon fan of all time. He chose the Celtics' wagon to jump on, he has the gonads to admit, and he sure as heck is a guy that will probably now be a lifer. TP4U Drucci and welcome to the Big Green Wagon!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61

I do.

I live in switzerland have no connection to the city of boston (other than having been there for a few days eleven years ago...) and i'm only twenty years old. So no real reason to me to be a celtics fan...

I started playing ball during the jordan era and obviously i loved those bulls teams back then...
Haven't really favoured any team after that and didn't actually play much ball or pay much attention to the nba for some time, though i was always rooting for KG.
So naturally when he became a celtic i started watching that team and i can't remember having ever been as impressed with any team as i was with the celtics of the past two seasons.
(Also started to play ball on a daily basis again... Think i have even more fun playing than i had as a five year old...)

Before that i always respected the celts for being the most sucessfull and storied franchise in the league and pierce was one of my favourite players (as was ray allen, so perfect match...)
I also educated myself on the subject of the great tradition and history of the celtics and usually drove guys on the playground crazy with bringing up russel, bird, mchale, hondo, havlicek, etc. in discussions about greatest ever in some category  (all players they had never even heard about...)
But no, i wasn't a "fan" before the KG trade.

Not ashamed about that. But then again, if you call me a bandwagoner i honestly couldn't care less as it wont affect my admiration for the celtics nor anything else i do in my life...

(TP to Drucci as well!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:26:17 PM by 4THQTR »

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
The day I was born, my father bought 25 shares of Celtics stock in my name and put a Celtics mini basketball in my crib.

Still have the ball and the stock certificate even though its worthless since the team was sold.

Pretty much hooked since then :)

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Well, being from Australia, we didn't really get too much coverage of the NBA.  My older brother started getting into basketball when I was about 10 ('92), so, being the typical younger brother, I followed him.
Anyone remember that PC game, 'Lakers Vs Celtics'?  We used to love that game, and we used to play it all the time, I did not know a thing about the NBA before I played that game, I picked the Celtics because I liked the colour green, and their symbol looked cool.  I have never looked back from there.  It has made is especially tough, as I had missed out on the 80's teams, and, as I followed the team, this was when they really sucked, but, I always stuck with them, and growing up, everyone knows me as a massive Celtics fan....
2008 was so sweet on so many levels....I loved every minute of it....I cant wait to do it all again this year!! :-D

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I do.

I live in switzerland have no connection to the city of boston (other than having been there for a few days eleven years ago...) and i'm only twenty years old. So no real reason to me to be a celtics fan...

I started playing ball during the jordan era and obviously i loved those bulls teams back then...
Haven't really favoured any team after that and didn't actually play much ball or pay much attention to the nba for some time, though i was always rooting for KG.
So naturally when he became a celtic i started watching that team and i can't remember having ever been as impressed with any team as i was with the celtics of the past two seasons.
(Also started to play ball on a daily basis again... Think i have even more fun playing than i had as a five year old...)

Before that i always respected the celts for being the most sucessfull and storied franchise in the league and pierce was one of my favourite players (as was ray allen, so perfect match...)
I also educated myself on the subject of the great tradition and history of the celtics and usually drove guys on the playground crazy with bringing up russel, bird, mchale, hondo, havlicek, etc. in discussions about greatest ever in some category  (all players they had never even heard about...)
But no, i wasn't a "fan" before the KG trade.

Not ashamed about that. But then again, if you call me a bandwagoner i honestly couldn't care less as it wont affect my admiration for the celtics nor anything else i do in my life...

(TP to Drucci as well!)

No one's a bandwagoner until they jump of the wagon when things turn bad.  At least that's my feeling.  Either way, the more the merrier.  As long as we're rooting for the Celts!
Yup