Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32822 times)

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Day 1 – Chest
Incline Bench
Incline Cable Fly
Machine (Superset)
Pushups (25 x4)
Dips
AB - Leg Lift/Crunch (20X4)

Day 2 – Back
Pull-ups
Seated Rows
Wide Grip Pull down 
Straight Leg Deadlift
Shrugs
AB – Sides 

Day 3 – Legs
Leg Press
Squats
Leg Extensions (Superset)
Hamstring Exercise Machine
Calf Raises

Day 4 – Shoulders
Seated Military Press
Smith Front Press
Side Lateral Raises (Superset)
Reverse Pec Deck
Rope Face Pull 
AB - Leg Lift/Crunch (20X4)

Day 5 – Arms
30/60 Bicep Blaster
DB Bicep Curls 
Rope Hammer Curls (Superset)
Rope Pushdowns (Superset)
Overhead Rope
Overhead Lateral Extensions
AB – Obliques (DB Sides)

this is amazing! thanks for sharing your routine, i love threads like these where people share their routines and knowledge

for me i do

Monday

flat bench work my way into my heavy sets, then do a 3x3, depends on the week if i am feeling it, then i will attempt my 1 rep maxes
incline - same
cable flies
preacher curl mixed with skull crushes
push ups 25x5

Tuesday

deadlifts
t-bar rows
lat raises
barbell shrugs
military press
lat pulldowns

Wednesdays

Squats (heavies, work your way into 3v3 heavies)
lunges
kettlebell swings
leg presses
calf raises
leg raises (lower abs)
crunches

Thursdays

Dumbbell incline press
dumbbell flat press
chest flies again
push ups 25x5
concentration curls mixed with bicep curls
dips

Friday

same as Tuesday but with no deadlifts

Saturday

same as Wednesday but lighter on the squats, doing them for volume

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 03:41:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'm going down the Keto rabbit hole on youtube now. I'm going to try it

and I'm now going down the rabbit hole of IF.  TP for sharing the insights

Back at you. Let me know if you have any questions.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:21 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

So where do you set the caloric level at, i.e. how far below you caloric maintenance level every day? Also, what's the macro breakdown? Adding that extra 200 jacks from carbs, it looks like you're at around 45% proteins, 30% carbs, 25% fats right now; is that pretty standard?

I'm thinking of combining IF with a carb cycling type of program to further promote fat loss while gradually building more muscle.

EDIT: Also, how do you time your eating and meals around workouts?

My deficit is anywhere between 500-800 calories when I'm seriously cutting. Some argue that that's a little extreme, but If I stay in the -2 lbs per week range I maintain my strength (For the most part) and size. Actually it is like 60P/25C/13F so a half bagel with some Teddie PB is almost needed for the 50P/30C/20F that I typical run on a cut. I eat a meal every 2 hours for 4 meals total.

Have you carb cycled before?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I'm like 6ft tall, weigh about 83kg with under 6% body fat. At the level of activity that i am doing, i pretty much est anything, i love chocolate, but i tend to eat healthy.
This is also largely attributable to the fact that you're 27. I've found it a lot more difficult to "eat everything" in my 30s, and in all likelihood so will you, at whatever level of activity ;)

yes i am well aware of that , so i am trying to eat better and better. but the my core diet is excellent, like i eat a ton of oats and stuff, vegetables, fruit, dry fruit, peanuts, almonds, chicken breast, eggs, totally avoid coffee, fast food, but i do like to eat chocolate :D

and of course BEER!!! i love beer, especially wheat beer...so on a good day, when the cold days are behind, i usually drink one or two, the weekends a bit more :D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Interested to hear... Trying to get back into shape again. Also anybody use supplements? Any recommendations/brand for building muscle

After reading about the wonders of the versaclimber.  Found a used one for sale over the weekend... i couldnt last more than 5 min on it  =T

Really depends on what your definition of "in shape" is? As a general rule stay clear of anything that promises a quick fix. Chances are you'll get bored after a couple of weeks.

Vitamins/supplements (unless you're deficient in one thing or another) are for the most part a waste of time and money. You should be able to get everything you need from real, unprocessed whole foods.

Exercise and/or diet should be a lifestyle choice and never forced though. Small changes to your diet over time is the best way to go if you're looking to create a habit, try cutting out foods with added sugar for a start. you'd be surprised how many every day foods you think are "healthy" have a tonne of added crap.

As you exercise, find something you enjoy (run, hike, mountain biking, basketball, lifting) whatever floats your boat, and build a routine around that. Exercise should never feel like a chore.

For me personally, a hate training alone, so I work out in a group setting. I combine functional lifting with HIIT, and animal flow which is a form of fluid body weight movements. I also hike and canoe paddle when I can.

I suck at diets. I enjoy eating out, so I just try to eat as much real food as possible. I avoid processed stuff, though I do have a sweet tooth, so I try and eat my fix from food that is naturally sweet, and I love dark chocolate i'm talking 85% cacao... the good stuff!   

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2017, 11:19:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anybody supplement with vitamin d3?  how much IU do you take per day? 

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

2000 mg a day per my doctor...

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you mean 2000IU

do you feel a difference?

I have upped my dosage to 3000IU . Feeling much better

Re: Health and Fitness thread
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am up there in age..50 this past summer.

I would recommend a spin bike(good one). You can burn up to 1200 calories in hour session . I bought an amazing spin bike used and do live classes on tablet. Soin workouts leave you feeling amazing after. Like a cleanse but live with energy.

I also run 2-3 times a week with one long run of 7 plus on weekends(did my fastest mile in awhile recently at 6:56 during the long run. This plus with a dog that still needs walks daily(dogs help younstaynactive and plenty that meed rescuing!!)

I have also climbed 10 14ers over past three years and that is the best kind of workout. Even with drinking 150 ounces on those hikes, you can lose 5-8 pounds for exertion of it.

I am not a big breakfast person but do eat egg white turkey bacon sandwich daily with coffee. A few times per week I like to have fruit protein shake after runs instead of lunch and usually eat a big
dinner. Fresh healthy salads with dinner a plus with homeade dressing. Stay away from fructose syrup. Snacking is a no no and usually dont unless something light like fruit but sometimes at night I am bad with chips or ice cream😁

My alcohol of choice is red wine...much less calories vs beer and I enjoy it more.

6’0” tall, 171 pounds and my metabolism is super strong still but it is not from being lazy!

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2017, 12:41:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I am up there in age..50 this past summer.

I would recommend a spin bike(good one). You can burn up to 1200 calories in hour session . I bought an amazing spin bike used and do live classes on tablet. Soin workouts leave you feeling amazing after. Like a cleanse but live with energy.

I also run 2-3 times a week with one long run of 7 plus on weekends(did my fastest mile in awhile recently at 6:56 during the long run. This plus with a dog that still needs walks daily(dogs help younstaynactive and plenty that meed rescuing!!)

I have also climbed 10 14ers over past three years and that is the best kind of workout. Even with drinking 150 ounces on those hikes, you can lose 5-8 pounds for exertion of it.

I am not a big breakfast person but do eat egg white turkey bacon sandwich daily with coffee. A few times per week I like to have fruit protein shake after runs instead of lunch and usually eat a big
dinner. Fresh healthy salads with dinner a plus with homeade dressing. Stay away from fructose syrup. Snacking is a no no and usually dont unless something light like fruit but sometimes at night I am bad with chips or ice cream😁

My alcohol of choice is red wine...much less calories vs beer and I enjoy it more.

6’0” tall, 171 pounds and my metabolism is super strong still but it is not from being lazy!

What a show off  ;D

Amazing job sir.

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Accidentally (due to stomach flu last week) I have not eaten red meat or chicken for the past week...   

I have lost a few pounds and BP has dropped. Planning to continue doing this

Just stick to eggs, seafood, vegetables, fruits.   Anybody else here not eat red meat/chicken?

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Accidentally (due to stomach flu last week) I have not eaten red meat or chicken for the past week...   

Just stick to eggs, seafood, vegetables, fruits.   Anybody else here not eat red meat/chicken?

I have essentially totally cut out red meat from my diet and haven't missed it one bit. I still eat chicken on occasion (breast meat only) and generally think that there is no issue in terms of health with lean poultry.

As far as red meat goes - especially beef - not only are you likely better off in terms of health, but there is quite a bit of research out there that consuming fewer cows would do wonders for the environment. Then, of course, there is the animal rights issue, about which many people couldn't care less. In recent years, I began feeling bad eating other mammals.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:54:35 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 10:13:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I switched to a similar diet 2 years ago, still each chicken once in a while , but no red meat, and very little meat overall.

I have never felt better. I feel 20 years younger, more energy, more strength, less weight, lower bp, better overall health. I also don't miss eating meat at all, I really enjoy new ways of eating vegetables and beans, and fruits.

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I've been in the gym off and on for years, but I've done a few different things to stay in shape over the years.

Played pick-up basketball a ton when I was younger.

Lifting weights my most successful go at it was probably following Jason Blaha's 5x5 routine (check out YouTube) until I majorly strained my lower back doing a squat.

I cycled for years which I love. For a while I was doing 40-50 mile rides a few days a week.

I've run a few obstacle course races, most recently a 5 mile spartan.

Most recently I've been doing the 46 high peaks of the Adirondacks and along with cycling probably my most enjoyable form of exercise. So far 6/46. Although right now I am in the gym for the winter but I may do a winter hike next month.

So nothing too extreme, but enough to stay in shape. I mostly eat what I want... In moderation. 43, 6' 4" 200lbs
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:34:44 AM by CF033 »

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2018, 04:09:16 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

you mean 2000IU

do you feel a difference?

I have upped my dosage to 3000IU . Feeling much better

I take 4000IU per day, but that is because of a near-fatal neurological infection many moons ago has left me with acute sensitivities to heat and excessive sunlight.  Since I reside in the Sacramento area, I maintain an underground existence, kind of like a human mole!