Author Topic: Celtics (13-5) at Knicks (4-15) Game #19 12/1/19  (Read 17693 times)

Re: Celtics (13-5) at Knicks (4-15) Game #19 12/1/19
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Jaylen Brown's 28 points were so quiet.  I love it.  He's scoring and playing within the offense.  His improvement is beautiful.

« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

https://twitter.com/tvabby/status/1201278664123600896?s=20

The Smart injury could be a re-injury of the oblique tear he had.

There was some chatter he needed a rest the last couple games. Hope this isn’t a result of playing at less than full strength.

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Does anyone else want to get rid of coach's challenges and replays?  These calls are so judgmental and the replays just kill the flow of the game.  I'd rather live with the occasional bad call and keep the game going.  3 minutes of basketball over the last 20 minutes real time stinks.

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Does anyone else want to get rid of coach's challenges and replays?  These calls are so judgmental and the replays just kill the flow of the game.  I'd rather live with the occasional bad call and keep the game going.  3 minutes of basketball over the last 20 minutes real time stinks.

When the refs clearly refuse to admit their mistake after a coaches challenge, the challenge becomes a frustrating waste of time. It's also making the NBA look bad when everyone watches a play over and over again, sees the error, and the refs refuse to see and/or admit the error themselves.

« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

When the refs clearly refuse to admit their mistake after a coaches challenge, the challenge becomes a frustrating waste of time. It's also making the NBA look bad when everyone watches a play over and over again, sees the error, and the refs refuse to see and/or admit the error themselves.
I like it and actually would like to see it expanded.  One challenge per game is not enough.  I would like to see one per half and if you win a challenge you get another in the half. Maybe I’m an outlier, but I just can’t stand it when the refs miss a call and there’s no recourse except to hope for a “payback” call, which is definitely a real thing.

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

Football is facing the same thing.  Refs aren’t even overturning blatant misses.  If they can’t do that much, then the entire system is a farce.

« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I like it and actually would like to see it expanded.  One challenge per game is not enough.  I would like to see one per half and if you win a challenge you get another in the half. Maybe I’m an outlier, but I just can’t stand it when the refs miss a call and there’s no recourse except to hope for a “payback” call, which is definitely a real thing.

I like the concept of it, but the refs are not conducting it properly. Their should be repercussions for refs when they blow the coaches challenge review.

« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I like the concept of it, but the refs are not conducting it properly. Their should be repercussions for refs when they blow the coaches challenge review.

They should have the league office review the replays like baseball or soccer.  I watched a couple of soccer games this weekend and they do the reviews fast. It's not the game referees doing it. It's done in a minute or two. That's what the NBA should do.

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

They should have the league office review the replays like baseball or soccer.  I watched a couple of soccer games this weekend and they do the reviews fast. It's not the game referees doing it. It's done in a minute or two. That's what the NBA should do.

That would be great.

« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Good win!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
watched on tape delay.  thrilled to get a win that didn't  look like it was going to happen.

Takeaways:
-Kanter was huge on the boards.  C's don't sniff a win without his efforts keeping them in the game the first 3 quarters.
- Kemba needs to show up in games before the 4th quarter.  wouldn't need to have to work so hard in the second half of games
- Semi had a solid game. 
- we may be starting to see the future of the franchise coming together with Jaylen and Jayson carrying the team offense tonight.  has to be their best combined game since Tatum was drafted. 
- Marcus looks to be ok now but C's started gaining ground when he went out.  he was not an asset on the offensive end at all tonight.
- Timelord needs his ass chewed on by the coaching staff for yet another stupid, casual pass leading to a TO and the other team scoring.

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some stuff I am not understanding here:

1) young team consistently playing down to the level of their opponent. time, maturity, and experience should teach them to put the hammer down early on lesser teams.
2) after a solid start to the season, brown’s inconsistency is very concerning.
3) this is a totally different team on both sides of the ball without gordon. his absence seems to be affecting brown the most.

1) young team consistently playing down to the level of their opponent. time, maturity, and experience should teach them to put the hammer down early on lesser teams.
2) after a solid start to the season, brown’s inconsistency is very concerning.
3) this is a totally different team on both sides of the ball without gordon. his absence seems to be affecting brown the most.

Jaylen good tonight

agreed. need it every night from him, though. he’s been inconsistent since gordon went down. for all their difficulties playing together last year, brown was benefitting from gordon’s playmaking this year.

So Jaylen going for 19/7.7./2 with 1.5 steals and shooting splits of 48/40/68 and a TS% around 57% since Hayward went down is being affected how by Hayward's absence? He is inconsistent? Did you mean Brown was playing worse because neither the stats nor the eye test bare that out. Jaylen's numbers with and without Hayward are nearly identical.

And Jaylen might be the most consistent player on the team. His last game wasn't low numbers because of inconsistent play. It's because his coach misused him and he touched and possessed the ball almost 30% or more less as compared to recent games. That's on Stevens.

And what does Jaylen do tonight? Has a huge night.

Not seeing what you are seeing with Brown.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:11:05 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The team is clearly playing worse, but Jaylen is doing well with the additional possessions he gets to use.

Haywards overall passing and drive game is what unlocked the C's offense to be the best in the league during their win streak. Jaylen/Tatum just aren't there yet as playmaking wings, Hayward gives the team that something extra offensively from that position.

« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2019, 11:11:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Timelord needs to stop getting cute in transition. He's done that a lot the past few games, Stevens benched him after this one hopefully he gets the message.

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2019, 03:35:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Thoughts on the game after watching it:
Tatum had some pretty gaudy passing numbers (7 assists), but I don't think it was a great passing game by him. It was one of his best displays this season, but he still missed the roll man quite a bit in the PnR (he could've thrown the Wannamaker to Williams pass a few times in his PnRs) and generally was a bit slow even when he made the correct reads, although he had some high quality passes here and there (eg. the interior dish to Theis in the second quarter). His ceiling is more Paul Pierce than Paul George/Kawhi Leonard barring a leap later on (which is unlikely imo), which is worrying if we want to make him our franchise player (All-NBA players don't lead you to titles as the best player on the team). His defence is underrated though, he provides good defensive value with his help defence, ability to get into passing lanes and defensive rebounding. Tatum's scoring also grew stronger as the game went on, he was more meticulous in his attacks and didn't force a drive/midrange pullup when it wasn't there, which resulted in a lot more cleaner looks for him that he nailed.

Wannamaker is a really solid point guard. He's efficient, makes the right reads at the right time and doesn't force the issue. Really good pickup for the minimum.

Jaylen had a slow start this game with some reads that weren't all that good, and he was forcing his offence quite a bit. He settled into the game as he got more of the ball starting from the second quarter and was more methodical with his approach, which paid dividends as he started hitting open shots within the flow of the offence and started making better reads in his attacks (had a nice interior pass to Kanter in the third that got him 2 FTs). His defence was excellent and it led to some transition opportunities for him and his teammates, and he guarded his assignments pretty well with his combination of length, speed and strength. My only gripe was that he didn't create a ton of offence like he did against San Antonio (he scored off of his teammates' creation a lot this game, and didn't really create easy looks for his teammates), but it was a pretty good game from him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA