Author Topic: Truehoop Article on Fouling In The NBA (and how it relates to Rondo)  (Read 6951 times)

Re: Why Rajon Rondo won't ever be MVP
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't really care about the title because I don't expect Rondo to ever be MVP regardless - it's really really hard to do and LeBron, Durant, etc aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I'd happily settle for finals mvp.

I would too, no guarantee rondo gets one of those either tho.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Neither will Bradley or Lee, whom guys think are better than him.

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Idk about Rondo never being an MVP because he has tha potential to be. Tha Rondo we see in tha playoffs elevates his game to such a level to where he can be almost unstoppable. If he could play tha regular season tha way he plays in tha playoffs, he would definitely be in tha conversation. And I don't think Rondo plays to be an MVP, which I have no problem with because I would much rather see him win rings. But when KG and Pierce retires, he will have to elevate his game.

Wouldn't mind seeing him win an MVP though.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's a whole host of players that will never be MVP. Some of them all time greats. I guess Rondo will just have to settle for that.

As long as Durant & Lebron are in their primes, they'll be a lot of guys who won't sniff the MVP.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Actually.. the reason is that his value is viewed very differently by different people. Some people think he's the greatest PG of all time, others don't even think he's in the top 10 TODAY.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
First of all, I couldn't care less about MVP. MVP this days is about scoring/being flashy. Rondo is an aesthetic pleasure for the eyes, but he doesn't score enough to be in the stupid ranking conversations. That doesn't take anything from his game, although making free throws and open shots would make him unstoppable and clearly the best point guard in the NBA.

Second, what a turrible article. LeTravel and Karate Hamster are routinely bulldozing their rivals, using his arm to push the defender while they drive to the basket, and getting away with points and fouls on their rivals. Where was that moron Abbott in last year's game 2 of the ECF when Wade did to Rondo what he's calling a Taj Gibson flagrant? What about Wade kicking his defender while shooting?

If LeTravel earned any respect from his brilliant performance in last year's playoffs, he's losing it all by asking the league to be even more biased towards him and his super friends. If it wasn't for the Celtics, I wouldn't watch another NBA game.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Rondo comes back with a vengeance and is perceived as the best player on a Celtics team that ends up at least close to the Heat in regular season wins, then Rondo would have a shot at winning the MVP for not being Lebron in the same way that Karl Malone and Charles Barkley perhaps got MVP awards for not being Jordan.

It's an unlikely path, but it's not completely impossible.  He'd probably have to elevate his PPG to closer to 15, though.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If Rondo comes back with a vengeance and is perceived as the best player on a Celtics team that ends up at least close to the Heat in regular season wins, then Rondo would have a shot at winning the MVP for not being Lebron in the same way that Karl Malone and Charles Barkley perhaps got MVP awards for not being Jordan.

It's an unlikely path, but it's not completely impossible.  He'd probably have to elevate his PPG to closer to 15, though.

If he averaged 20/15/7, it'd be nice :)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
i don't think i get the purpose of the article nor the notion that RR will be MVP

who wants to explain cuz I am LOST

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
i don't think i get the purpose of the article nor the notion that RR will be MVP

who wants to explain cuz I am LOST

OP seems to be claiming that Rondo will never be MVP because he will either be too injured or he will fail to put up the necessary stats because he will pick his spots to avoid being injured.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
what a hilarious article coming out after the heat lost to Chicago and Lebron blubbered about hard fouls.

"hard fouls are bad, we need to let lebron just waltz to the basket!"

god ESPN is horrible

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Why are people so hell-bent on criticizing Rondo for everything?

Seriously, you people hold him responsible for every single thing!

Rondo is this, Rondo is that, Rondo can't do this, Rondo can't do that, Rondo won't ever be this, Rondo won't ever be that, Rondo sucks at this, Rondo sucks at that.

SERIOUSLY, shut up  already. Do you people honestly don't have any work or anything else to do?

Everyday, there is some new stupid thread criticizing Rondo.

There are so many things to talk about, yet you people keep talking about Rondo.

As for this thread, ok Rondo won't be an MVP. So what? What does it prove? Nothing. Is our goal to win a championship or win the MVP? If any of you value an MVP award more than a championship ring, then I don't even want to talk to you.

Anyways, go find better topics if you feel the urge to create garbage topics again and again on the same subject.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't really care about the title because I don't expect Rondo to ever be MVP regardless - it's really really hard to do and LeBron, Durant, etc aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I'd happily settle for finals mvp.

I would too, no guarantee rondo gets one of those either tho.

How many players are you guaranteeing will?

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Why are people so hell-bent on criticizing Rondo for everything?

Seriously, you people hold him responsible for every single thing!

Rondo is this, Rondo is that, Rondo can't do this, Rondo can't do that, Rondo won't ever be this, Rondo won't ever be that, Rondo sucks at this, Rondo sucks at that.

SERIOUSLY, shut up  already. Do you people honestly don't have any work or anything else to do?

Everyday, there is some new stupid thread criticizing Rondo.

There are so many things to talk about, yet you people keep talking about Rondo.

As for this thread, ok Rondo won't be an MVP. So what? What does it prove? Nothing. Is our goal to win a championship or win the MVP? If any of you value an MVP award more than a championship ring, then I don't even want to talk to you.

Anyways, go find better topics if you feel the urge to create garbage topics again and again on the same subject.

Badshar- it's actually not meant to be a criticism of Rondo at all, nor is it about MVPs versus championships. This is just a conversation about basketball. This is about the fate of slashing guards, which are one of the favorite models of NBA superstar. Much of the criticism leveled at Rondo over the years is that he has stopped being aggressive going to the basket, and that he saves that brand of aggressiveness for big games. If you ever find yourself in a conversation with a Bulls fan about Rondo versus Rose, I guarantee you that the Bulls fan will make these points.

My point is that the guards who do play this way have short or injury-laden careers. My argument is that reckless paint enforcement is the real thing holding Rondo back from the magical season we all lust for where he averages something like 24-14-6. It's the same thing that Abbott is harping on in his last few articles.

The irony, of course, is that Abbott sees this as an injustice against Lebron James. Players who are built like trucks aren't the real victims here. I'm not worried about how much Dwight Howard and Shaquille O'Neal get hacked, because they are some of the biggest human beings on the planet and they make their living pushing defenders out of the way. I'm worried about players 100 pounds lighter who routinely tear their knees because a large defender who got beat wants to send a message.

When the game is played this way, the aggressive guards who tend to make the most beautiful basketball plays... today guys like John Wall, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Dwyane Wade... go down. When those guys get their nerve beaten out of them, the game becomes less beautiful.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Horrible article. I love how he talks about the fundamentals of what basketball is and what basketball is supposed to be about. Well if thats the case than James isnt a good basketball player. He is an athletic freak who is much stronger than 90% of the league and uses that force. There is nothing beautiful about his game and that is what he is criticizing in the article.