Author Topic: Truehoop Article on Fouling In The NBA (and how it relates to Rondo)  (Read 6952 times)

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This is a great article, motivated by the Bulls victory over the Heat. It's ironic that a Heat loss inspired this angle, because we all know that, pound-for-pound, Dwyane Wade is one of the nastiest tackle basketball players out there. To Lebron James's credit, he does not play defense this way.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/56135/tackle-basketball-for-the-win

This is a point that I've been trying to make on this board about why slashing guards, particularly ones that are not ace free throw shooters, tend to either adjust their game, bulk up, or spend half of their career injured. When all is said and done, we may view Rajon Rondo as someone who did all three. I will follow the careers of young slashers like John Wall, Derrick Rose, and Eric Gordon with great interest- I think that all three will either begin to pick their spots like Rondo does or they will continue to experience major injuries.

I take pride as a Celtics fan in that, while Kevin Garnett is a devious and dirty basketball player, he is not a hacker. For the most part, I don't think that the Celtics have resorted to this level of dangerous play on defense. Do you guys agree?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:56:29 PM by IndeedProceed »

Re: Why Rajon Rondo won't ever be MVP
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Terrible article, the one before it on the same topic is even worse.

He's advocating getting rid of fouling at all essentially, you'd be ejected for what are now just fouls if you follow through his line of reasoning. Removing the physical play from defense, but have it remain on offense.

And the C's have resorted to that sort of play frequently, just ask Brad Miller or anyone who banged with Perkins in a series.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Furthermore the idea that fouling to prevent a basket is a "technicality" ignores 50+ years of basketball. Its not like teams just figured out that physicallity on defense and offense was important in the 80s/90s.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Abbott sure knows which side of HeatSPN's bread is buttered.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Has a better chance then you

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't really care about the title because I don't expect Rondo to ever be MVP regardless - it's really really hard to do and LeBron, Durant, etc aren't going anywhere any time soon.

But man, everything Henry Abbott writes is just pure lazy pseudomoralizing garbage.  He's like Bizarro Zach Lowe.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't really care about the title because I don't expect Rondo to ever be MVP regardless - it's really really hard to do and LeBron, Durant, etc aren't going anywhere any time soon.

But man, everything Henry Abbott writes is just pure lazy pseudomoralizing garbage.  He's like Bizarro Zach Lowe.
He used to produce better articles.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Furthermore the idea that fouling to prevent a basket is a "technicality" ignores 50+ years of basketball. Its not like teams just figured out that physicallity on defense and offense was important in the 80s/90s.

One would assume that he never saw teams defend a young(ish) Shaq.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Would you rather see James dunk, or get hit in the head? Would you rather see Hinrich meet James in the air, or in a bear hug?

Funny, I can't help but think of Brandon Knight (may he rest in peace) vs. DeAndre Jordan when I read that from Abbott.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He used to produce better articles.

I vaguely remember thinking he was OK when TrueHoop first went up on ESPN, but I can't remember the last time anything I've seen of his was any good.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd happily settle for finals mvp.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I'd happily settle for finals mvp.

Yep.  Championships matter, not MVPs.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
That article was horrible.
I couldn't even finish it and when I read most of it I had to shake my head.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
he doen't deserve it ...he'll have to learn to shoot and make free throws first and play defense even when he isn't on TV ,  looks like that may never happen so ...really not seeing a MVP with out those basic skills.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There's a whole host of players that will never be MVP. Some of them all time greats. I guess Rondo will just have to settle for that.