Author Topic: Nba: nets robbed by refs in game 4  (Read 2656 times)

Nba: nets robbed by refs in game 4
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Nba: nets robbed by refs in game 4
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is missing a hold in the last two minutes "robbing" now?

We all root for Marcus Smart still right? How often does he "steal" from other teams then lol.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Refs also missed a carry by Dinwiddie on a possession that the Nets ultimately got 3 points out of. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I actually think it was a good no call. Guy was trapped and stripped fairly clean IMO. I hate philly but it was great defense in that situation.

Brooklyn blew it by not being able to grab a rebound in the last minute, what did Philly get 5 second/third chance attempts off of offensive rebounds?

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I mean I'm sure it was a foul by the book but the refs are not gonna call that unless it's really bad. The Sixers defense just swallowed Allen up, they fought for the ball, he lost, the end.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:11:00 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Refs also missed a carry by Dinwiddie on a possession that the Nets ultimately got 3 points out of.

Refs "miss" carries dozens of times in every game.

These last two minute reports always seem like they're designed to appear as though both teams got equally hurt by no-calls or wrong-calls, but sometimes they throw in stuff like a "missed carry" to create fake balance. 

When do the refs ever call a carry?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Only if the player makes it look really awkward. Its the rhythm of steps and dribbling being really off that draws attention to travels and carries.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The first time I see people disagree with the refs on a corrected call! :D

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Only if the player makes it look really awkward. Its the rhythm of steps and dribbling being really off that draws attention to travels and carries.

From what I can recall the only travel calls involve players who either (1) catch the ball behind the arc and then hesitate a bit too much before making their move toward the basket or (2) are attempting some kind of post-up or back down move and shuffle their feet one too many times.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I actually think it was a good no call. Guy was trapped and stripped fairly clean IMO. I hate philly but it was great defense in that situation.

Brooklyn blew it by not being able to grab a rebound in the last minute, what did Philly get 5 second/third chance attempts off of offensive rebounds?
The missed call was before he got trapped. Just as he started his roll to the hoop.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Always hated these reports. What is the point of making it public?

Do the Nets and their fans feel better about being down 3-1 because the NBA admitted to a bad call that may have altered the game?

And why only the last two minutes? I guess a play with 2:06 left in the game isn’t as important as 1:58 to go. If they insist on these reports, do so for clutch situations (score within 5 with 5 minutes remaining).

I don’t get how publicly admitting to a missed/bad call helps in any way. Do so privately, penalize the refs or crews... but doing so publicly only draws more ire and angst from fans.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The call that was really an example of what is wrong with the NBA was a few games ago with Embiid's elbow to the face that was only called a flagrant 1. If Embiid was a lower player, he definitely would have been tossed for that, and the refs were scared to make that big a call. Also, they judge that stuff by reactions to. If Allen stayed down for like 3 minutes holding his face in agony they also would have kicked Embiid out of the game.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The worst part of the NBA game is the refs and they never seem to get better. Once in awhile you'll watch a game and not notice the refs but those games are rare. Mark Davis was on a mission the other night against the Celtics but he could drag the Pacers across the finish line.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:37:11 PM by liam »

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Always hated these reports. What is the point of making it public?

It was already public if you watched the game

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The call that was really an example of what is wrong with the NBA was a few games ago with Embiid's elbow to the face that was only called a flagrant 1. If Embiid was a lower player, he definitely would have been tossed for that, and the refs were scared to make that big a call. Also, they judge that stuff by reactions to. If Allen stayed down for like 3 minutes holding his face in agony they also would have kicked Embiid out of the game.
Yep should have been a flagrant 2, though the other flagrant called on Embiid was clearly not a flagrant foul at all.  So maybe it balanced out a bit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip