Author Topic: Revisiting Al Horford...  (Read 4139 times)

Revisiting Al Horford...
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I feel like the Celtics should really consider bringing back Al Horford with the TPE. I understand that he is overpaid, however, he would give the C’s much needed depth at the PF and C position. In 27 mins he’s averaging 10ppg, 8rb, 3 ast, while shooting 43% from 3pt range. Plus, he’s a good defender and knows Brads system.

If Thompson goes down, the C’s are really only left with Theis and Robert Williams for legit bigs...Horfords passing skills, 3pt shooting, and leadership would make him great addition over the next few years. He could be the missing piece.

New depth chart

Kemba, Teague, Pritchard
Jaylen, Smart, Langford (Nesmith by mid season?)
Tatum, Smart, Semi, (Nesmith by mid season?)
Horford, Theis, Robert Williams
Thompson, Theis, Robert Williams
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:22:23 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Revisiting Al Horford...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Nope.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 10:52:18 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
If the trend lines for both players continue, Grant Williams could be better than Horford by this time next year.

I’m not sure his name would even be brought up had he not played here before! The price is just too much to accept sadly.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Although I wouldn't mind Horford, the other issue is that his defense hasn't been the same since a few years ago. He's not the worst guy there but one of Horford's best attributes besides facilitating was his defense on other centers. But over the past 1.5 seasons it seems even that has diminished. It's a reason he struggled mightily with PHI. He got abused on defense more often than in the past. Maybe he shows he still has it this season, but I'd rather use it on a younger PF/C if possible.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Although I wouldn't mind Horford, the other issue is that his defense hasn't been the same since a few years ago. He's not the worst guy there but one of Horford's best attributes besides facilitating was his defense on other centers. But over the past 1.5 seasons it seems even that has diminished. It's a reason he struggled mightily with PHI. He got abused on defense more often than in the past. Maybe he shows he still has it this season, but I'd rather use it on a younger PF/C if possible.

+1. good job

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The thing with horford is stevens would play him at center and al hated playing center, he's a pf.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
If the trend lines for both players continue, Grant Williams could be better than Horford by this time next year.

I’m not sure his name would even be brought up had he not played here before! The price is just too much to accept sadly.

Unless you are expecting him to grow 5-6 inches over the next year, I doubt that he is going to get to that level, ever. . He is abysmal from the FT line and can’t shoot the 3. Gets burned by guys almost every time defensively, since he can’t move laterally, has a poor vertical leap,  and is significantly shorter than the players he is guarding. When he stands next to Marcus Smart, they are the same height. That’s a problem if you are a PF/C.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Who is that guy, though? The younger established PF/C that can step in and help them right away.. I thought maybe Steven Adams, but he got snatched up by The Pels... what rebuilding team has a PF/C that they would be willing to move?

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The thing with horford is stevens would play him at center and al hated playing center, he's a pf.
He’s a center and has played center basically his entire career. The issue last year was playing him and Embiid at the same time. t his current age, I don’t think he has the tools to cover faster perimeter players. I thank all for his time here but he chose to leave for the money (and I don’t blame him) but I don’t think he has a spot on this team barring some sort of other trade for one of the Cs bigs that could possibly open up a bench spot for him.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I agree that our biggest need or potential for upgrade is the PF position/role, but Al Horford is not the answer at this point in his career and definitely not on his current contract.  I would rather just struggle along with Theis as our starting PF until a better option becomes available or if not, use a TPE on more of a swing like Thad Young.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Who is that guy, though? The younger established PF/C that can step in and help them right away.. I thought maybe Steven Adams, but he got snatched up by The Pels... what rebuilding team has a PF/C that they would be willing to move?

I have my eyes on John Collins, but the Hawks have to start losing first. More likely, you are looking at guys like PJ Tucker or Larry Nance Jr.

Still, I think our greatest need is playmaking swing, not big, so I am still all aboard the Justise Winslow hype train.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I have my eyes on John Collins, but the Hawks have to start losing first. More likely, you are looking at guys like PJ Tucker or Larry Nance Jr.

Still, I think our greatest need is playmaking swing, not big, so I am still all aboard the Justise Winslow hype train.
I don’t think we should bring Winslow . He suffers from the same disease as Langford - always injured and always finds new ways to get injured. Putting aside their obvious potential and skills if we constantly carry 2-3 players like that on the roster eating up cap space and spots that’s detrimental to our goals.
I believe Winslow (and also Langford) draw a lot of comparisons to Alec Burks. He spent 8 years in Utah ( rookie contract and extension). He was always touted for his potential (which he is showing now) but he was never available. I believe he was one of the reasons that Utah team to not reach the WCF at least while Hayward was there.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I like Collins too, but he doesn’t seem like a realistic option for the Celtics. He’s the best big on their team, career 18 ppg and 9rb, while shooting 36% from 3pt. He’s 23 years old and Atl can either extend him or make him a restricted FA after next season. Again, there are guys out there that I would prefer over Horford, but how many are realistic? it doesn’t seem like teams move their players to teams within their own conference very often either.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 12:56:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t see Grant surpassing Horford any time soon.  Al isn’t worth the contract, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Well these guys aren't C, but in terms of a playmaking SF/PF I like Aaron Gordon or Harrison Barnes for the TPE. Someone like that.

Vucevic could be another option. I like him and after this season he has 2/46M left.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller