Author Topic: Random Website Speculation: Kemba to Clippers for half their Roster  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This showed up in my feed this morning and while I do not agree with it, I thought it was worth looking at.
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/12/28/nba-rumors-clippers-could-land-kemba-walker-for-patrick-beverley-lou-williams-and-ivica-zubac/

Los Angeles Clippers Receive: Kemba Walker

Boston Celtics Receive: Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Ivica Zubac, Patrick Patterson, Mfiondu Kabengele, Daniel Oturu

First thoughts are who's getting cut? Obviously this trade would either need a third team involved or several players waived. Second thought, would any of those players crack this rotation?

Beverly? :o - Lou Williams? cooked - Zubac? has done nothing with plenty of opportunity - Patrick Patterson? Not above replacement level

I'm higher on Kemba than many hear so I hang up the phone in a heartbeat but for those who see Kemba as a negative contract would you consider something like this?

Re: Random Website Speculation: Kemba to Clippers for half their Roster
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
This won’t work as clippers are hard capped and can’t add more payroll than they trade away. There is no realistic way for them to get Kemba this season

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Double post

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I did hear rumors of this from actual NBA people (can't remember who) a month or so ago. The first thoughts included George coming back to the Cs, because the rumor was the Leonard wanted to play next to high level point guard.

However, I wonder if, low-key, Leonard might be available. I know he was a prized get, but there are rumors of his prickly personality circulating. Think also about George's big extension, but Leonard putting that off til next off-season. Think also about the way that they traded Blake Griffin right after his extension.

Nothing is set in stone for that roster. If Ballmer doesn't think he has a winner, or he sniffs any possibility that Leonard will leave, he's one of the few owners that I could see wanting the GM to make a radical move.

The trade you suggested here is definitely interesting, but I'm not sure what it actually gets the Cs. It kinda' seems like it would be 10 dimes for a dollar, except there's not enough room in your pocket (roster spots) to keep all 10 dimes.

Even if they dropped Green and Edwards to bring in a total of three guys and send the rest to a third team, what three guys are worth what Kemba brings? Lou Williams, Beverly, and Zubac? I'm not sure those guys are gonna put the Cs over the top, and frankly, I think Teague and Pritchard might be as good as Beverly this season and Thompson-Theis-Williams as good as Zubac.

Does that make this team a lot better? I don't see an improvement significant enough to take the PR hit of trading Kemba.

But then again, maybe the key is the third team. Maybe the third team sends a guy that makes the Cs better enough to make it worth it. One such example of that is the Kings.

Celtics: Hield, Lou Williams
Kings: Beverly, Zubac, Patterson, Kabengele
Clippers: Walker

I think there are too many obstacles to overcome to make a trade like this where each team is happy.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't think this is Top 10 most ridiculous trade ideas I've ever seen, but it's definitely Top 50.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This showed up in my feed this morning and while I do not agree with it, I thought it was worth looking at.
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/12/28/nba-rumors-clippers-could-land-kemba-walker-for-patrick-beverley-lou-williams-and-ivica-zubac/

Los Angeles Clippers Receive: Kemba Walker

Boston Celtics Receive: Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Ivica Zubac, Patrick Patterson, Mfiondu Kabengele, Daniel Oturu

First thoughts are who's getting cut? Obviously this trade would either need a third team involved or several players waived. Second thought, would any of those players crack this rotation?

Beverly? :o - Lou Williams? cooked - Zubac? has done nothing with plenty of opportunity - Patrick Patterson? Not above replacement level

I'm higher on Kemba than many hear so I hang up the phone in a heartbeat but for those who see Kemba as a negative contract would you consider something like this?

Makes less than zero sense.

LAC is a contender. This trade moves four of their heavy rotation players (1 is a starter, 1 is a 6th man of the year candidate, and 1 is a starter from last years team) for a starter who is hurt.

If we had room I'd actually consider it, but the Clippers never would so there's no point in me discussing.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You can help with the cutting issue by adding some players (works on NBA trade machine)

Boston - Beverly, Williams, Zubac, Kennard, Kabengele, Mann, 3 million cash, a pick swap or two
LA - Walker, Edwards, Green

Boston can then either cut or trade Kabengele, Mann, and Semi

I like that trade a lot better as I do think Zubac and Kennard would have a role long term and Beverly and Williams are solid enough for this year.

So post-trade

Ball Handlers - Beverly, Smart, Teague, Pritchard
Wings - Brown, L. Williams, Kennard, Langford, Nesmith
Swings - Tatum, G. Williams
Bigs - Theis, Thompson, Zubac, R. Williams

Much deeper team, better bench balance, and two quality younger players to help with long term team building in Kennard and Zubac.  With Walker's injury concerns the team might even be better this year, but I do like it long term a lot better.  Salary is basically the same, so the TPE is still in play and it makes it easier to trade guys like Langford when you have Kennard.

I do have concerns about trading Kemba basically a year after he signed, but in this trade you are sending him to a real and actual contender so I think some of the negative aspects of that are lessoned a great deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
You can help with the cutting issue by adding some players (works on NBA trade machine)

Boston - Beverly, Williams, Zubac, Kennard, Kabengele, Mann, 3 million cash, a pick swap or two

I like that trade a lot better as I do think Zubac and Kennard would have a role long term and Beverly and Williams are solid enough for this year.

So post-trade

Much deeper team, better bench balance, and two quality younger players to help with long term team building in Kennard and Zubac.  With Walker's injury concerns the team might even be better this year, but I do like it long term a lot better.  Salary is basically the same, so the TPE is still in play and it makes it easier to trade guys like Langford when you have Kennard.

I do have concerns about trading Kemba basically a year after he signed, but in this trade you are sending him to a real and actual contender so I think some of the negative aspects of that are lessoned a great deal.

Quality post Moranis thanks. I do like the trade better if we take back Kennard, I dont know if they would do it though.

We would no doubt be deeper but I wonder if this chops the top of our potential ceiling short of true contender status.

Would definetly depend on how we use the TPE.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 11:19:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not sure that they could trade Kennard even if they wanted to. Isn’t there a rule about not being allowed to trade guys who signed extensions?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So post-trade

Quality post Moranis thanks. I do like the trade better if we take back Kennard, I dont know if they would do it though.

We would no doubt be deeper but I wonder if this chops the top of our potential ceiling short of true contender status.

Would definetly depend on how we use the TPE.
Considering I don't think Boston is a true contender this year anyway, I'd rather add some younger guys to the depth and hope that makes the team a true contender in the future when Tatum and Brown are at their peak.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I’m not sure that they could trade Kennard even if they wanted to. Isn’t there a rule about not being allowed to trade guys who signed extensions?
I think they have a poison pill but can be traded.  ESPN allowed him to be traded, while other guys like Patterson could not.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Why would LAC want a guy with a knee condition that may not allow him to be the old Kemba, and if he comes back and is the old Kemba, why would we want to do one of those nickel for 5 pennies trades?

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:02 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Just click bait.  The C's can't trade Kemba while hurt.  No reason to unless they are getting a player just as good back.  No one wants Kemba until they see him play and get his medical records.  A deal for Kemba is not happening.  If he comes back and is the Kemba of old then that only benefits the C's because he's exactly what they need right now.  Someone to help space the floor for JT and JB. 

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why would LAC want a guy with a knee condition that may not allow him to be the old Kemba, and if he comes back and is the old Kemba, why would we want to do one of those nickel for 5 pennies trades?

LA would do it for exactly the reason you stated:  they’re getting a nickel for five pennies.

We wouldn’t do it.  Kemba was an all-star starter last year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

LA would do it for exactly the reason you stated:  they’re getting a nickel for five pennies.

We wouldn’t do it.  Kemba was an all-star starter last year.

Yeah, I'll definitely take even the hobbled playoff Kemba over those players (but I do have confidence they are handling his rehab the right way). Our ceiling gets demonstrably lower if we trade an All-Star caliber player for much lesser parts. I don't know how anybody is saying the Clips wouldn't do this.

If Kemba comes back and shows the world he is still Kemba, then I would consider a George or Kawhi trade, but I would also happily roll forward with him as our lead guard. Our team needs him right now.