Author Topic: Negativity  (Read 14839 times)

Re: Negativity
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
The negativity is grounded in the fact that nobody wants us to go back to the dark ages of the mid 90s and mid 2000s. It is a rational fear but I don't think DA will let it happen.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
if we use regular season 8games in as a barometer, the Knicks, celtics, lakers and mavs are all teams that will barely make the playoffs..

and teams like the nuggets, trailblazers, 76ers, pacers look like elite teams....I just dong believe it will be that way at the end of the season..every year we get this. but by the end of the season everything always balances out.

its reasonable to think that alot of these older teams arent yet in game shape...which is why athletic young teams are off to a faster start...Pierce admitted as much he isnt in game shape

if we are sitting at .500 20+ games into the season ill start to worry..but its too early for me to make any predictions....theres a difference IMO between being realistic, and being overly negative about everything

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Heck, Im just happy basketball is even being played. Even after that horrible lose the other night, I can't wait for Wed to come around.

The team hasn't been 100% full yet, some one has been injured in every game. Now that Pietrus is playing Wed we'll start to see what this team is going to be like. And even then its probably not going to be the same team that will be in the playoffs.

This week DA can start trading players. JO,Bradley,Sasha,Moore,Johnson, expect two or more of those guys not being here at the end of the season.

I do think most of the beginning of the season will be rough. I do think we will only win one or at best 2 games against Miami,NY,Chicago. But who cares how many wins they get against winning teams, as long as they stay healthy and get their game plan on track by May.

Because it doesn't matter how many wins you get in the reg season, its how many you get in the playoffs. And I think this is a playoff team that can go deep in this short season.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
At the game on Friday, I witnessed a new level of negativity.  The person sitting behind me was perhaps the most negative (and loudest) person I have ever seen.  They would scream "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!" at the top of their lungs after every single missed shot, followed by a barage of insults.  Every single time up the court.  I was genuinely worried that he was going to try to throw himself off the balcony (or perhaps someone else in our section would have given him a nudge...I know I was tempted).

The thing is though, whenever I witness negativity like that, it actually makes me more optimistic, because I realize how over the top the negativity is, and start looking at things a little deeper, past the emotions and frustrations, and realize there is still plenty of reason for optimism. 

This team still has a lot of talent, but they have not learned how to play with each other yet.  We also are witnessing across the league that there is a lot of VERY bad basketball being played.  I am by no means excited by what I have seen from this team, but I also don't think there is any reason to panic yet. 

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will watch this team when it wins 10 games and when it whens 60  wins.  I just love the Celtics.   While I might make a negative comment here or there I love the team.  Nothing no one says will ever change that.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
So, if someone is a Celtics fan and spends lots of time here, goes to games, watches every other game, but does not believe they are a team that will compete for the championship, is that negative? Or is that just a person who after looking at the roster and looking at the other teams just does not believe they are capable of competing for a championship?

Or, if someone watched that horror show Friday night (thank God I was out of town and missed it), and then comes on here and posts negative things, is that person negative or simply responding to one of the worst first half responses in Celtics history?

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So, if someone is a Celtics fan and spends lots of time here, goes to games, watches every other game, but does not believe they are a team that will compete for the championship, is that negative? Or is that just a person who after looking at the roster and looking at the other teams just does not believe they are capable of competing for a championship?

Or, if someone watched that horror show Friday night (thank God I was out of town and missed it), and then comes on here and posts negative things, is that person negative or simply responding to one of the worst first half responses in Celtics history?

For me, I think the key is whether it is addition to the discussion or not.  I think a good discussion needs diverse points of view.  You need negativity and positivity.  But it needs to be constructive (on both sides).

If anyone (whichever end of the spectrum they fall on) tries to overpower the discussion, or refuses to have an open discussion of what is going on, then I think it is a problem.  But as long as all sides are open to discuss things, and sharing their opinions in a constructive way, then it is good.

I also think venting is a good thing, and something everyone needs to do sometimes.  But, it can be a problem when it goes overboard, and ends up drowning out, or discouraging the discussions.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

For me, I think the key is whether it is addition to the discussion or not.  I think a good discussion needs diverse points of view.  You need negativity and positivity.  But it needs to be constructive (on both sides).

If anyone (whichever end of the spectrum they fall on) tries to overpower the discussion, or refuses to have an open discussion of what is going on, then I think it is a problem.  But as long as all sides are open to discuss things, and sharing their opinions in a constructive way, then it is good.

I also think venting is a good thing, and something everyone needs to do sometimes.  But, it can be a problem when it goes overboard, and ends up drowning out, or discouraging the discussions.

Ditto.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Does that paper that the C's are elite on also list the ages for four of our five starters?  Consider the current, not historical, capabilities of JO and KG?
lol, i can see the post really spoke to your soul.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think part of the problem is that people have different definitions of what constitutes positivity and negativity in fandom.

Some seem to think that you are negative unless you maintain a kind of unwavering faith that your team, regardless of the roster or how they perform on the court, can go all the way.  A fan that doesn't remain upbeat and hold out the possibility for the team to go far, regardless of the circumstances, it 'negative.'

Other fans are much more moderate in their willingness to label others as positive or negative.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I dont know if anyone saw this red sox documentary about the 2003 red sox season. I dont remember what it was called but its pretty well known. Anyways, in the movie there is this guy called angry joe. This guy has been emotionally destroyed so many times, that he basically expected the red sox to lose every game. He got to the point where he was almost rooting against the red sox like in revenge. Imagine how this guy felt one year later. Its important that us Boston sports fans dont ever get to that point. I really get the feeling on this forum that some of the posters are almost rooting against the celtics- ans we just won a championchip 4 years ago! Imagine how this dude felt after never seeing them win. Dont become Angry Joe!

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If this board ever gets to the point where a pragmatic, honest discussion of the state of the Celtics exits stage right for pom-poms, it'll be time to move on to another forum.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

Ditto.

Ditto to that ditto.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!

Ditto.

Ditto to that ditto.

And another ditto here as well.
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The absolute worst is when people are negative when we are losing AND winning. There will be people who make excuses for why we win. "our bench won't play that well every night " "ray had to shoot lights out" "other team was on back to back" "other team missing x player" and so on. Those same people don't make those excuses when we lose though.

People actively try to dismiss complain about the celtics even when they win. Its like if they dont win in the fashion you want them to than it is not a valid win. "our defense sucked" "kg is done" "starters played too many minutes"