Author Topic: Mike Brown just outcoached Doc  (Read 4825 times)

Mike Brown just outcoached Doc
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
 ???
Why did danny sign Nate?
Did doc just run Rondo into the ground?  He was controlling the entire game the first half and unless I missed something didn't get a rest.  I'd rather the entire team plays at a high pace as long as we sub.  I don't care if nate doesn't know the offense he still needs minutes and rondo a rest.  What was the run that the cavs had and was there a time out called?
Brown changed his team's defense and doc did nothing to counter.
Overall from what I saw, cleveland doesn't scare me 1 bit IF we play at our highest level (and have PP) but very disapointed in docs performance as a coach.  At times he acts more like a fan and gets caught in the flow of the game.
(nice to see mr powe back!)

Re: Mike Brown just outcoached Doc
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
???
Why did danny sign Nate?
Did doc just run Rondo into the ground?  He was controlling the entire game the first half and unless I missed something didn't get a rest.  I'd rather the entire team plays at a high pace as long as we sub.  I don't care if nate doesn't know the offense he still needs minutes and rondo a rest.  What was the run that the cavs had and was there a time out called?
Overall from what I saw, cleveland doesn't scare me 1 bit IF we play at our highest level (and have PP) but very disapointed in docs performance as a coach.  At times he acts more like a fan and gets caught in the flow of the game.

Tp! it seems like all of us are observing the same thing. I just didn;t get it tonight. Rondo played 45:10 OMG!!! :o That's inexcusable.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Yeah kind of funny bailey howell & myself must have telepathic powers.  We both had the exact thoughts with different titles "wow doc"

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Mike Brown was literally on the floor shuffling about and yelling stuff while the Celtics were on offense (Cleveland bench side). In particular I remember Ray Allen had the ball outside the arc and he ran out of room getting away from a defender 'cause Mike Brown was in the way.

Anyone else see this? He was doing it all game.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Mike Brown was the bizzaro Doc last night.  Doc refused to make changes and move from his gameplan, while Brown seemed unable to decide on a gameplan, and tinkered all game.  Brown did not do much to help his team by going to a ton of crazy lineups, but his team picked up the slack down the stretch.   

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
IMO, Mike Brown lucked into making the right adjustment last night when Shaq got injured. Without Shaq out there, the Cavs defense picked up big time and it killed our momentum. I just hope Brown doesn't realize that Shaq was the problem and continues to play him when healthy.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'm sorry but coaching is not responsible for a 33 point in game swing. Celtics up 40-27 and then Cleveland goes on a 81-48 run. This one is on the players. Where's the effort? Where's the pride?

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
My favorite part of the game came when Brown put the Williams-Lebron-Jamison-Hickson-Varejao lineup in the game.

We have a derth of healthy wings, so you think Doc would match the two power forward lineup with two power forwards? Nope, he left Ray in the game to cover Hickson.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
I'm sorry but coaching is not responsible for a 33 point in game swing. Celtics up 40-27 and then Cleveland goes on a 81-48 run. This one is on the players. Where's the effort? Where's the pride?
How many top notch coaches would call a timeout on a run 1/2 that big?

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
???
Why did danny sign Nate?

I agree this one is on Doc. He didn't adjust or give Rondo a rest. KG only played 28 minutes in a big game. He was out coached and made no adjustments in the second half. The 1st half went well but we ran out of gas, or Rondo ran out of gas, in the second half. Play Nate! If you are going to lose some of these games, which seems to be the case,  play Nate so he can get in the groove with the other guys more quickly.
Also with Shaq not in the game we should've went to a smaller line up with out Perk.  Perk does not match up well with the Cavs other bigs. Doc just didn't seem on his game.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Actually, its a combination.  The Celtics QUIT in the 4th Quarter.  But only when the outcome was determined.  They made some defensive mistakes on their rotation  (MO Willims).

But Doc was outcoached.
The ability for Cleveland to take over on the boards was due to the power forwards.  And yes, Doc is to blame.  Rasheed and KG were on the perimeter, as was Perk on the Picks for Rondo and Ray.  What was needed was some low-post play, inside out. after the half.  Doc missed this.  Cleveland adjusted at halftime, with how they stuffed the middle and overplayed the pick and roll. 
The difficult thing to swallow, is that Doc also has assistants.  One of them should have seen this.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Actually, its a combination.  The Celtics QUIT in the 4th Quarter.  But only when the outcome was determined.  They made some defensive mistakes on their rotation  (MO Willims).

But Doc was outcoached.
The ability for Cleveland to take over on the boards was due to the power forwards.  And yes, Doc is to blame.  Rasheed and KG were on the perimeter, as was Perk on the Picks for Rondo and Ray.  What was needed was some low-post play, inside out. after the half.  Doc missed this.  Cleveland adjusted at halftime, with how they stuffed the middle and overplayed the pick and roll. 
The difficult thing to swallow, is that Doc also has assistants.  One of them should have seen this.

It's on the whole team but Doc is in charge.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I agree that the substitutions were flawed and that Doc's substitution pattern is very predictable. That said, I don't think Mike Brown would have played Hickson, Flopper-jao and LePrick together if Shaq and/or Big Z were available. Doc might not be a good coach but I know Mike Brown is certainly not better than him.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Mike Brown was the bizzaro Doc last night.  Doc refused to make changes and move from his gameplan, while Brown seemed unable to decide on a gameplan, and tinkered all game.  Brown did not do much to help his team by going to a ton of crazy lineups, but his team picked up the slack down the stretch.   
In the end, all that mattered was having Lebron in the lineup.

I love the title of the thread. Hard to say Doc was outcoached when we managed to get a substantial lead without the player we most need when playing Clev.

I was happy to see us get that lead and can live with the outcome considering we were playing without the player on our team who best defends Lebron. Based on the lineups available for the game, Clev was just the better team.