Author Topic: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering  (Read 46125 times)

Re: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2024, 04:27:52 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
LAL don't have a first round pick. Their 2nd round pick is right at the end of the draft. The 56th pick.

I don't think it matters any whether they draft him or not.

I don’t think it does either.  I think it’s funny though that this report comes out the same day people are reporting that they believe Lebron will opt out of his deal with LA.  24hrs doesn’t even go by and the kids being used as a negotiating tactic
Greg

« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2024, 12:40:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
For what it is worth Woj said playing with Bronny long a top priority for Lebron. I have criticized him for forcing this and adding pressure in the past, so nice to see him taking a better approach here.

« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2024, 02:22:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
As for Bronny James, the priority is to get him in the best situation for his own development.

"Rich Paul's goal here in the pre-draft process for Bronny James is to see if there's the right developmental system or organization, a place that can take a young player like Bronny James, who went five months without playing after his heart episode certainly limited him in his season at USC," Wojnarowski said. "If he does go in the draft, he very likely would spend next year in the G League."

« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2024, 06:16:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
As for Bronny James, the priority is to get him in the best situation for his own development.

"Rich Paul's goal here in the pre-draft process for Bronny James is to see if there's the right developmental system or organization, a place that can take a young player like Bronny James, who went five months without playing after his heart episode certainly limited him in his season at USC," Wojnarowski said. "If he does go in the draft, he very likely would spend next year in the G League."
If he is going to spend the year in GLeague, he should just go back to school. Enjoy college another year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2024, 06:54:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977

If he is going to spend the year in GLeague, he should just go back to school. Enjoy college another year.

Yeah , he don’t need any money .  Not like his billionaire family is starving.  I would want my degree in something that I liked to do.  He doesn’t need to pick a career that pays well.  One that will make him happy. He just was not  cut out for life of professional sports with health isssues.  He should go be a kid and enjoy college and travel, get a diploma.

« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2024, 07:03:24 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2556

Yeah , he don’t need any money .  Not like his billionaire family is starving.  I would want my degree in something that I liked to do.  He doesn’t need to pick a career that pays well.  One that will make him happy. He just was not  cut out for life of professional sports with health isssues.  He should go be a kid and enjoy college and travel, get a diploma.

It makes sense to wish that for him.  But I don’t know what goes on in his head or what the dynamics are in his relationship with his father.  It could be that he has it in perspective; that he understands that this is his only chance to get an NBA experience and that playing alongside his dad isn’t just his father’s dream but his own as well.  Maybe he feels he has to embrace the shadow of his father rather than find his way around it.

« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2024, 07:57:23 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

It makes sense to wish that for him.  But I don’t know what goes on in his head or what the dynamics are in his relationship with his father.  It could be that he has it in perspective; that he understands that this is his only chance to get an NBA experience and that playing alongside his dad isn’t just his father’s dream but his own as well.  Maybe he feels he has to embrace the shadow of his father rather than find his way around it.
If Bronny is really focused on basketball and getting to the NBA, he should stay in the draft and go to the g-league.  He'd be able to be called up and play some NBA games.  He can always go to college later if he wants. 

« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2024, 09:50:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

If Bronny is really focused on basketball and getting to the NBA, he should stay in the draft and go to the g-league.  He'd be able to be called up and play some NBA games.  He can always go to college later if he wants.
but not as an athlete. That is an entirely different college experience
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2024, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

I disagree. He won't be viewed as an elite prospect by whatever team drafts him this year. He won't get that much attention and focus on his development just like the players on Maine that go in and out every year. If he goes to College and is a top 3 player on a team, especially one with resources like Ohio State he will get a lot of individual focus. Also the life of a true gleague player is not glamorous at all and can pay significantly less money than Bronny would make in NIL.

You also mention him getting up to play in some NBA games? The only way this happens if it is a sideshow to get to play with his dad for photo ops. I don't see how that helps his game at all. Right now he would be absolutely embarrassed on an NBA court. I mean Arizona State had a pretty good defensive player at guard last year and Bronny couldn't get across half court a few times without turning it over. Can you imagine white and holiday on him?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:38:39 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #159 on: Yesterday at 06:27:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Rob Parker saying that NBA Draft this year may be Bronny's only option of making it to the NBA because he cannot afford to return to college and risk having another bad season. Another season like this one would end his NBA dreams. But if he goes now, someone may take a shot on him.

Interesting viewpoint.

He would probably make more money in NIL than as a second round pick in the 50’s (which even then would not be on merit). I don’t know if the people saying this stuff realize he was a historically bad shooter his freshman year. You can’t do that as an undersized guard.
Do you really think money is a concern?  He's listed at 6'4" 210lbs.  That isn't undersized for a guard.  If Lebron is serious about taking a significant discount in order to play on the same team with his son, some teams (e.g. Sixers and Clips) should consider using a late 1st on Bronny.
https://x.com/hoopmixonly/status/1790406012026970434?s=46

Told ya buddy. Some things you can only see at the games

« Reply #160 on: Yesterday at 07:06:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Rob Parker saying that NBA Draft this year may be Bronny's only option of making it to the NBA because he cannot afford to return to college and risk having another bad season. Another season like this one would end his NBA dreams. But if he goes now, someone may take a shot on him.

Interesting viewpoint.

He would probably make more money in NIL than as a second round pick in the 50’s (which even then would not be on merit). I don’t know if the people saying this stuff realize he was a historically bad shooter his freshman year. You can’t do that as an undersized guard.
Do you really think money is a concern?  He's listed at 6'4" 210lbs.  That isn't undersized for a guard.  If Lebron is serious about taking a significant discount in order to play on the same team with his son, some teams (e.g. Sixers and Clips) should consider using a late 1st on Bronny.

Ooh, 6-1. I thought he was at least 6-2 hopefully 6-3 but likely 6-2.

Tough to make it as a 6-1 SG. That is the size of D Mitchell. But he has a dynamic offensive game to go with it. De'Anthony Melton is a 6-2 defensive combo guard with a limited offensive game.

I've seen reports saying they were hoping for big test results in the combine for Bronny to boost his status. Bad start.

« Reply #161 on: Yesterday at 07:17:48 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
NBA 2024 Combine measurements: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2024-nba-draft-combine-measurements-bronny-james-comes-up-short-on-height-but-aces-shooting-drills/amp/

Bronny measures 6’ 1.5” in height without shoes. Maybe it was cold in the gym? His wingspan isn’t bad at 6’ 7.25” and I didn’t think he had the athleticism to jump over 40” high, but he did.

Clingan had some nice measurements: almost 7’ 2” without shoes and a 9’ 7” standing reach and nearly a 7’ 7” wingspan. I didn’t realize he was that long. He does not jump very high, under 30” vertical, but he doesn’t really need to.

Edit: Kyle Filipowski measures almost exactly like Kelly Olynyk. I didn’t realize he had T-Rex arms.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:26:51 PM by W8ting2McHale »

« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 07:33:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
NBA 2024 Combine measurements: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2024-nba-draft-combine-measurements-bronny-james-comes-up-short-on-height-but-aces-shooting-drills/amp/

Bronny measures 6’ 1.5” in height without shoes. Maybe it was cold in the gym? His wingspan isn’t bad at 6’ 7.25” and I didn’t think he had the athleticism to jump over 40” high, but he did.

Clingan had some nice measurements: almost 7’ 2” without shoes and a 9’ 7” standing reach and nearly a 7’ 7” wingspan. I didn’t realize he was that long. He does not jump very high, under 30” vertical, but he doesn’t really need to.

Edit: Kyle Filipowski measures almost exactly like Kelly Olynyk. I didn’t realize he had T-Rex arms.

Clingan has Rudy Gobert size. 7-7 wingspan. 9-7 reach.

Rudy was 7 feet 8.5 inch wingspan 9-7 standing reach.

I am trying to find Roy Hibbert's wingspan. He is a guy that Clingan reminds me of. More so than Rudy. One NBC article claims Hibbert had a 7-9 wingspan. I do not think that is accurate. Another says 7-4 which I expect is true. I don't think Hibbert had a huge wingspan beyond his 7-2 height.

« Reply #163 on: Yesterday at 07:38:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

Interesting viewpoint.

Ooh, 6-1. I thought he was at least 6-2 hopefully 6-3 but likely 6-2.

Tough to make it as a 6-1 SG. That is the size of D Mitchell. But he has a dynamic offensive game to go with it. De'Anthony Melton is a 6-2 defensive combo guard with a limited offensive game.

I've seen reports saying they were hoping for big test results in the combine for Bronny to boost his status. Bad start.
Bad start?  He knocked down 19 of 25 in the 3pt drill and had 40.5" vertical leap.  I don't put much stock in wingspan (see Bane) but his 6-7 1/4 wingspan is pretty good.  From the articles, I've read he's considered a good defender.  He's got a solid build so he should be able to guard taller players than himself. 

The main takeaway from the Athletic article I read is that the expectation is he will stay in the draft.  If he makes it to the 41st pick in the 2nd round, the Sixers would be stupid not to take him if they think it gives them a shot at Lebron.  If I'm the Sixers, I'd much rather have Lebron to team with Embiid and Maxey than PG-13.  But there are quite a few teams picking before the Sixers in the 2nd round that might want to take that chance. 

Edit - The big question is how much of Lebron's drive and work effort did Bronny inherit.  He'll also need to be mentally tough. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:56:51 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #164 on: Yesterday at 11:32:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1468
Dan Woike: Bronny James says current players like Derrick White, Jrue Holiday and Davion Mitchell as NBA players he thinks affect winning in the ways he wants to as a pro. – via Twitter DanWoikeSports
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.