Author Topic: Gronk traded to Bucs  (Read 7306 times)

Re: Gronk traded to Bucs
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
QB - Tom Brady
WR - Mike Evans
WR - Chris Godwin
TE - O.J. Howard
TE - Rob Gronkowski
RB - Ronald Jones II

A god-caliber offense that I see no defenses stopping.
I think it’s only “god-calibre” if a few big ifs come to pass. If Brady can get on the same page as his monster WR duo, OJ and Jones II then they’ll be super nasty. Another one is if Gronk is any good at the moment. I have serious doubts about his strength, let alone his health.

However, if those ifs come good and the NFL season isn’t completely derailed, then Tampa have a seriously legit offence. They just need to draft a tackle in the 1st round (maybe trade up to lock it in?), or trade for one - they can have Tom’s old buddy Thuney!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 12:31:04 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Go Giants!  Eli is still yo daddy (even in retirement)!

Get that crap outta here. (just kidding ... sort of ;D)

The Gronk trade kinda p---es me off, regardless of the return. The Patriots really could have used Gronk last season. Like REALLY could’ve used him. And now he goes to a team that doesn’t really need him.

And it seems like it would’ve made sense for Belichick to get back Brate or Howard in return. Unless Belichick gets a decent TE in the draft, NE will have the suckiest TE position in the league for the second straight year. That'll really help Stidham.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 04:18:28 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
QB - Tom Brady
WR - Mike Evans
WR - Chris Godwin
TE - O.J. Howard
TE - Rob Gronkowski
RB - Ronald Jones II

A god-caliber offense that I see no defenses stopping.
I think it’s only “god-calibre” if a few big ifs come to pass. If Brady can get on the same page as his monster WR duo, OJ and Jones II then they’ll be super nasty. Another one is if Gronk is any good at the moment. I have serious doubts about his strength, let alone his health.

However, if those ifs come good and the NFL season isn’t completely derailed, then Tampa have a seriously legit offence. They just need to draft a tackle in the 1st round (maybe trade up to lock it in?), or trade for one - they can have Tom’s old buddy Thuney!

One of the best tackles in football is available, Trent Williams, they’d just have to talk the skins out of their delusional asking price for him
Greg

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 04:32:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Gronk trade kinda p---es me off, regardless of the return. The Patriots really could have used Gronk last season. Like REALLY could’ve used him. And now he goes to a team that doesn’t really need him.

And it seems like it would’ve made sense for Belichick to get back Brate or Howard in return. Unless Belichick gets a decent TE in the draft, NE will have the suckiest TE position in the league for the second straight year. That'll really help Stidham.
I feel like we might be content with another garbage TE year considering the crop of TE prospects in 2021.
Pat Freiermuth is a big 6'5" 256lbs who is really good at getting touchdowns. He also has really great versatility, lining up all over the field. He seems to be better than Mike Gesicki was at the same stage (used for comparison as he's a fellow Penn TE). He's also the best blocker of this group.

Brevin Jordan goes to Tight End U, and he's getting lots and lots of hype. He isn't huge, but he's fast, got great separation and good ball skills. However, his blocking needs work, like lots of young TE's.

The last guy is Kyle Pitts. He blurs the line between TE and WR, but he's 6'6" and 240. Freakish athleticism, and could have the best potential of the bunch.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 07:31:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Awwww...

This sounds like a Peaches and Herb moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_TEmN49hcU

Next, Teddy Bruschi and Randy Moss will be coming out of retirement.

We're going to have "The Decision, Part Deux - Florida Style"

Brian Windhorst needs a new gig and this could be it.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Man, I wish we somehow got OJ Howard out of the deal. The Bucs are really going for it, and I can respect that. I'm guessing Howard is getting traded to bolster the o-line.

Here's a thought. The Pats and Thuney (who they franchised) are still apart on a long term deal. Why not ship him for OJ Howard and a pick. Or something along those lines. Thuney I think makes like 14M so it's a bit of cap savings for us, and great protection for Brady. 

Lets face it, 2020 is likely a rebuild/bridge year for us anyways, and if the two parties are still far apart in deals, then consider trading him. The O-Line is still fine with Andrews coming and hopefully Wynn staying healthy.
I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Our receiving core is soooooo bad. Even if Stidham is the real deal, we won't be able to tell if we have the worst receivers in the league. At least with OJ Howard, you nice young piece who can help you now, and we would no longer also have the worst TE rotation in the league.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It's fine, I was just teasing anyways.  It's a fair reply.

Truthfully, I doubt Gronk is actually going to help the Bucs all that much.  And even if he does, he was clearly not interested in playing for the Pats anymore, so them getting anything at all for him is a win.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Truthfully, I doubt Gronk is actually going to help the Bucs all that much.  And even if he does, he was clearly not interested in playing for the Pats anymore, so them getting anything at all for him is a win.

I actually think Gronk will help a lot b/c he is the best blocking TE I've ever seen, and the Bucs weakness seemed to be on the O-line.  This will buy time for Evans & Godwin to get more open or farther down the field, or give Brady a quick option if Gronk pops out.  I also think Gronk's intensity will by symbiotic with Brady and be a bit contagious. 

Living in Tampa this is awesome... can't wait to go to some games finally.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I actually think Gronk will help a lot b/c he is the best blocking TE I've ever seen, and the Bucs weakness seemed to be on the O-line.  This will buy time for Evans & Godwin to get more open or farther down the field, or give Brady a quick option if Gronk pops out.  I also think Gronk's intensity will by symbiotic with Brady and be a bit contagious. 

I guess it really depends on what kind of shape he's in.  Gronk was always a bit fragile as it was (partly due to the way he played).  After over a year away from the game is he still going to be able to bring it like he used to?

I don't discount the relationship he and Brady have, though.  I'm guessing Tom is the only guy he'd have come out of retirement for, which says a lot about how they feel about each other.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gronk lost a ton of weight in retirement.  He's going to need to get back into his playing weight & hone his skill set after a year off.  He's in his 30s now.  It's not going to be the easiest thing.  I think Bucs fans should temper their expectations of what they'll get out of him. 

I would love to see him succeed and go back to being old Gronk.  I'm just not entirely sold that its going to happen. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Haha, I know. ;)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
now if they could just steal the NE coach . 

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 02:36:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I guess it really depends on what kind of shape he's in.  Gronk was always a bit fragile as it was (partly due to the way he played).  After over a year away from the game is he still going to be able to bring it like he used to?

I don't discount the relationship he and Brady have, though.  I'm guessing Tom is the only guy he'd have come out of retirement for, which says a lot about how they feel about each other.

That relationship is definitely a huge part of it (just look at what he said when we tried to trade him to the Lions), but I wouldn't discount the fact that the NFL changed their stance on marijuana for next season.  If they were still suspending for a positive test, he might have stayed retired.

And who knows, maybe if they had changed the rules a year earlier, we would have had Gronk last season (I'm just gonna try not to think about that)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I've been reading so many anti-Belichick stories it's crazy. He's a great coach with unprecedented success. 

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 07:30:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I've been reading so many anti-Belichick stories it's crazy. He's a great coach with unprecedented success.

yes he is a great coach .   I was thinking maybe the Pats were moving to Florida ....LOL .   Maybe talking him into retiring down there.