Author Topic: Knicks (1-4) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 11/1/19  (Read 38264 times)

Re: Knicks (1-4) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 11/1/19
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I miss ENJOYING a Celtics game! This year has rejuvenated me to cheer for us again! I just need Tatum to stop attempting to create his own shot and just go with the flow Of the offense and we will be in a much better position.

My wish list:
FIND A CENTER! (Myles Turner *cough*)
Insert Smart into the starting lineup (somehow)

I've got no issues with Tatum's offensive approach so far.  He's being asked to completely adjust his shot profile.  It's way too early for the coaching staff to emphasize results over the process. 

I'm most encouraged by the following statistic:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Brad Stevens has never had two players average double digit drives in the same season.  Needless to say, this group is fully committed to the gameplan.

It must be a total coincidence that Jaylen and Jayson only drive to the paint, whenever I get up to either go to the bathroom or get a snack. I would have never thought either of those guys were close in this category to Gordon or Kemba. What is considered a "drive" for this statistic?

This year has definitely been different from last. Tatum is forcing it to the rim so far -- it's not coming as natural to him. Brown has done an excellent job of getting to the paint and then dishing it. It's night and day.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I miss ENJOYING a Celtics game! This year has rejuvenated me to cheer for us again! I just need Tatum to stop attempting to create his own shot and just go with the flow Of the offense and we will be in a much better position.

My wish list:

I've got no issues with Tatum's offensive approach so far.  He's being asked to completely adjust his shot profile.  It's way too early for the coaching staff to emphasize results over the process. 

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Brad Stevens has never had two players average double digit drives in the same season.  Needless to say, this group is fully committed to the gameplan.

It must be a total coincidence that Jaylen and Jayson only drive to the paint, whenever I get up to either go to the bathroom or get a snack. I would have never thought either of those guys were close in this category to Gordon or Kemba. What is considered a "drive" for this statistic?

Per the NBA’s official statistics glossary:

Name
Drives
Definition
When a player attacks the basket off the dribble in the halfcourt offense. Does not include situations where the player starts close to the basket, catches on the move, or immediately gets cut off on the perimeter

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

My wish list:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

just to add to the post above:

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
 · Oct 31, 2019
Gordon Hayward had 16 drives last night against the Bucks. He leads the Celtics with 12.8 drives per game. Top four looks like this:

Gordon Haward -- 12.8
Kemba Walker - 11.3
Jayson Tatum -- 10.8
Jaylen Brown -- 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
Last year top four in drives per game:

Kyrie Irving -- 11.4
Gordon Hayward -- 5.7
Jayson Tatum -- 5.6
Jaylen Brown -- 5.1

Conclusion: this year's Celtics are really focused on attacking the basket. Tommy Heinsohn is a happy man right now, I guess.

Very good things happen when you attack the hoop...opens up loads of opportunities either to shoot, dish or kick out.
Its way better than iso or one on one.

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
How does NY deal with the quickness of Boston?  How does Boston deal with the size of NY?  That will determine the game.

My X Factor is Grant Williams.  He's gonna play some minutes tonight with Kanter out and Robert Williams and Jaylen looking likely to sit.  He also matches up well against their size.  I feel like he's going to have a productive game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I haven't heard, how long is Kanter expected to be out?

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
A little worried about this being a trap game.

Beat them by 23 last week, coming off a huge win vs MIL on Wednesday, hope the C's bring it tomorrow, no taking it easy or taking the Knicks for granted.

Yeah we need the same focus every game.  Forget about what happened last week.  Gotta win the games we are supposed to.
GO C'S!!!!

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

My wish list:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
 · Oct 31, 2019
Gordon Hayward had 16 drives last night against the Bucks. He leads the Celtics with 12.8 drives per game. Top four looks like this:

Gordon Haward -- 12.8
Kemba Walker - 11.3
Jayson Tatum -- 10.8
Jaylen Brown -- 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093

Kyrie Irving -- 11.4
Gordon Hayward -- 5.7
Jayson Tatum -- 5.6
Jaylen Brown -- 5.1

Conclusion: this year's Celtics are really focused on attacking the basket. Tommy Heinsohn is a happy man right now, I guess.

Very good things happen when you attack the hoop...opens up loads of opportunities either to shoot, dish or kick out.

Those are really encouraging stats.  We will have to live with some additional turnovers because of aggressively taking it to the hoop, but it opens up the whole offense so much it is worth it.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brown and Rob Williams also out tonight.  Williams has sore hip.

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Man. Attrition lately. Be a good game to get another look at Grant Williams and Poirier

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

My wish list:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
 · Oct 31, 2019

Gordon Haward -- 12.8
Kemba Walker - 11.3
Jayson Tatum -- 10.8
Jaylen Brown -- 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093

Kyrie Irving -- 11.4
Gordon Hayward -- 5.7
Jayson Tatum -- 5.6
Jaylen Brown -- 5.1

Those are really encouraging stats.  We will have to live with some additional turnovers because of aggressively taking it to the hoop, but it opens up the whole offense so much it is worth it.

Celtics are also #1 in fewest turnovers per game and #2 in opponent turnovers per possession.  Hopefully they can remain near the top of the league in both stats, as it will allow them to survive scoring droughts.

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This is somewhat reminding me of the 2017-2018 season where we dealt with so many injuries but kept pushing on and still won a lot of games through great team basketball and grit. We're only 4 games in, but so far this team is showing just that, grit and hustle. Hope it continues tonight as we continue to nurse injuries (and an illness).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

My wish list:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
 · Oct 31, 2019

Gordon Haward -- 12.8
Kemba Walker - 11.3
Jayson Tatum -- 10.8
Jaylen Brown -- 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093

Kyrie Irving -- 11.4
Gordon Hayward -- 5.7
Jayson Tatum -- 5.6
Jaylen Brown -- 5.1

Celtics are also #1 in fewest turnovers per game and #2 in opponent turnovers per possession.  Hopefully they can remain near the top of the league in both stats, as it will allow them to survive scoring droughts.

more excellent stats.  I guess I was just referring to the loose handle turnovers that some have been complaining with for Tatum, loosing the ball on drives to the hoop.  But looking at the actual stats he hasn't been that bad overall.  Must be game thread over reaction.

We have been exceptional so far this year with getting our hands on passes and tipping the ball to create steals.

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Man. Attrition lately. Be a good game to get another look at Grant Williams and Poirier

And Tacko!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:48:38 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
This would be a perfect game to see what Poirier has under the hood.

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

My wish list:

Drives Per Game
Hayward - 12.8
Kemba - 11.3
Tatum - 10.8
Jaylen - 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093
 · Oct 31, 2019

Gordon Haward -- 12.8
Kemba Walker - 11.3
Jayson Tatum -- 10.8
Jaylen Brown -- 10.3

Tomek Kordylewski
@Timi_093

Kyrie Irving -- 11.4
Gordon Hayward -- 5.7
Jayson Tatum -- 5.6
Jaylen Brown -- 5.1

more excellent stats.  I guess I was just referring to the loose handle turnovers that some have been complaining with for Tatum, loosing the ball on drives to the hoop.  But looking at the actual stats he hasn't been that bad overall.  Must be game thread over reaction.

We have been exceptional so far this year with getting our hands on passes and tipping the ball to create steals.

You're criticism of Tatum's ball security is completely fair.  I worry about him losing the ball every time he drives into traffic.  He's likely been fortunate to see most of the loose balls deflect off of the opponent.