Author Topic: Team without an identity?  (Read 4721 times)

Team without an identity?
« on: October 22, 2021, 11:30:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I was hoping that training camp/preseason games would have given Udoka enough time to figure out a starting lineup and rotation going into the regular season, but it really doesn’t look like he has a clue at this point. Seems pretty obvious that starting Timelord and Horford together was not going to work. It’s clear that Smart is not a point guard and that Schroder needs to start so that the team can run an offense. Seemed obvious that playing small ball was not a good idea and that Grant should never be starting or getting major minutes like he did in the season opener.

I understand that it’s early and Udoka is still trying to figure things out, however, he needs to do so fast before the players lose confidence in him.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:45:34 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Team without an identity?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 11:52:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd say they still struggle to put together 4 quarters of good basketball. They let every team back into games or they get stomped. It's never easy.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 11:56:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This team has Tatum written all over it.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 12:13:12 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and stumbled upon NBA Memes, I found a post with Jayson Tatum in a yellow Lakers jersey.

I hope this team starts winning and play with some sense of urgency each night or else one or two more playoff sweeps and he's going to Hollywood. NBA players/stars are unpredictable nowadays

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 12:31:14 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

well said.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 01:03:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
well said.
There's our identity! :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:05:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Two games in and a few preseason games, I'm not surprised they don't have an identity yet. But it does start to form in these opening ten or fifteen games. And you're right, the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. After that effort they should be the first ones hitting practice tomorrow and should be letting their teammates know that the collective effort wasn't acceptable.

I'm not surprised that they are stumbling through things. New team, new coach, they're not going to be that polished yet. I am surprised that the intensity wasn't there in the 2nd half given they should all be trying to impress their new coach. This flaw they have in their heads, where they lose heart when they start missing shots and when ref calls don't go their way, which they affects their defense and their demeanor on the court, that's something Ime has to excise out of them right away. The on court fluency and chemistry should come, but they have to fix the attitude issue right away.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 01:37:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Here's what Tatum had to say after the loss.

“We were too relaxed,” Tatum said. “They just lost on their home court, we should have expected more of a punch from them. That’s on myself. That’s on everybody. It’s all about how you respond. Are we going to come back on Sunday with a different mindset, more life, more energy, and ready to get our first win?”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/23/sports/celtics-starting-anew-signs-last-seasons-fleeting-passion-return/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 01:46:17 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
Two games in and a few preseason games, I'm not surprised they don't have an identity yet. But it does start to form in these opening ten or fifteen games. And you're right, the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. After that effort they should be the first ones hitting practice tomorrow and should be letting their teammates know that the collective effort wasn't acceptable.

I'm not surprised that they are stumbling through things. New team, new coach, they're not going to be that polished yet. I am surprised that the intensity wasn't there in the 2nd half given they should all be trying to impress their new coach. This flaw they have in their heads, where they lose heart when they start missing shots and when ref calls don't go their way, which they affects their defense and their demeanor on the court, that's something Ime has to excise out of them right away. The on court fluency and chemistry should come, but they have to fix the attitude issue right away.

all very fair points. what concerns me is what’s found in the following quote: “ the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates.”

i believe the team HAS taken on the character of its best player; the problem is JT doesn’t seem to possess the indomitable will to win. he seems content to be spoken of in circles he hasn’t actually attained, and he’s believing the hype that’s surrounded him since he entered the league. his hero kobe just wanted to win and could be an Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. when the team needed to be pushed. JT just doesn’t have that “mamba mentality”. i hate the lakers but respect the hell out of kobe, his leadership, and his will to win. JT? meh.

i also don’t think JT and JB know how to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. in their four-plus years together, we haven’t witnessed much real leadership from them. embarrassing losses punctuated by remorseless poor effort, followed by all the right words from JT and JB, but nothing ever really changed.

this team needs a major shakeup, not a few tweaks or one final puzzle piece, if the C’s want to contend.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 02:07:40 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton

“We were too relaxed,” Tatum said. “They just lost on their home court, we should have expected more of a punch from them. That’s on myself. That’s on everybody. It’s all about how you respond. Are we going to come back on Sunday with a different mindset, more life, more energy, and ready to get our first win?”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/23/sports/celtics-starting-anew-signs-last-seasons-fleeting-passion-return/

ha! there it is! “embarrassing losses punctuated by remorseless poor effort, followed by all the right words from JT and JB, but nothing ever really changed.”

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 06:39:15 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don’t see where you guys are coming from. I think even at this early stage, this team already has an identity. Just like last year’s team had one too. But just because you don’t like what it is doesn’t mean it’s not there:

Last Year’s Celtics:
- iso-heavy, stagnant offense
- dependent on the three
- lackadaisical defensive effort

This Year’s Celtics:
- switch-heavy defense
- ball movement-heavy offense (which is leading to a lot of turnovers right now)
- whiny and mentally combustible
- poor-average outside shooting

Despite the 0-2 start, I think we’re better off than last year and when things are all said and done, we might end up as the 4-6th seed or something. However the turnovers need to be cleaned up and CIU needs to stop it with his small ball dreams.

- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 07:08:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Last Year’s Celtics:
- iso-heavy, stagnant offense
- dependent on the three
- lackadaisical defensive effort

This is exactly what I’ve seen this year only with more turnovers and less rebounds. They haven’t been fun to watch in two games (other than Brown in game 1).

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 07:13:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's learning on the job.   Hopefully, he learns quick.

That small ball lineup was terrible.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673

“We had no idea Toronto wanted to actually win the game,” Tatum said. “They just lost and were 0-1. We thought as a team, maybe they don't want to win a game all season. Maybe they're tanking for the number draft pick. Then by the fourth quarter, I'm like 'Wow, they do want to win. Not only that they want to beat us by over 30 points on our home court. In hindsight, we should've played hard. We're 0-2 now, but we're playing the Rockets next and we're certain they have no interest in winning.”

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 09:00:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

“We had no idea Toronto wanted to actually win the game,” Tatum said. “They just lost and were 0-1. We thought as a team, maybe they don't want to win a game all season. Maybe they're tanking for the number draft pick. Then by the fourth quarter, I'm like 'Wow, they do want to win. Not only that they want to beat us by over 30 points on our home court. In hindsight, we should've played hard. We're 0-2 now, but we're playing the Rockets next and we're certain they have no interest in winning.”
That has to be made up. If not talk about a guy who feels entitled. To just get a win because he feels the other team should not want too lol