Author Topic: Will the Lakers..  (Read 3218 times)

Will the Lakers..
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
I know this one may sting a bit at the moment, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about the question.  Will the Lakers go back to the Finals next season with the way the West is looking next season?  I guess only the offseason will tell.

Re: Will the Lakers..
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:33:31 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I know this one may sting a bit at the moment, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about the question.  Will the Lakers go back to the Finals next season with the way the West is looking next season?  I guess only the offseason will tell.

I hope someone finds the Kobe's portrait where he doesn't get all the calls and I'm all for burning it.

I'm not worried about the Lakers, I think it was the Celtics, if they'd played their game, this wouldn't have been a series. I blame the refs for the cheap shots (Artest to Ray and Kobe to Perk) and not only for the FT disparity. Anyway, had the Celtics played better, they could have won it all. So I don't mind Lakers, Blazers, Rockets... it's all about the Celtics.

Danny is going to have a great draft night.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think so. I think this core had it's run and we're not going to be there to stop them next year. Who's going to stop them? The Magic and Howard? Lebron and his new team (going back to the Cavs he has no chance)?

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I have Portland as the frontrunner in the West and for the league heading into next season. Lakers are in second place on both counts and very much a legitimate contender.

I think Houston, Dallas and Oklahoma are all one move away from giving them serious competition. All have the flexibility to make that move too. San Antonio is still a salvageable situation but I'm not optimistic about their front office making the right decisions. Phoenix, Denver and Utah look like they're going to continue to fail to improve their rosters.

In the East, outside of Orlando, the landscape is incredibly difficult to read due to free agency. Boston could have a great chance to get out of the Conference or a so-so shot ... too difficult to tell at this point in time. Have to wait for some clarity on some of these free agents (Wade/LeBron/Bosh/Amare/JJ/Boozer/Lee/Gay).

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Bynum4MVP

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Lakers are strong enough to get out of the West.  Most teams in the West are a mess right now.  Blazers in massive turmoil and looking for a GM replacement so I don't think they're doing anything.  Mavs/Spurs have an aging core.  Thunda are too young.  Amare says he's "done" in Phoenix.

The East still has 3 of the best 4 NBA teams in the Celtics, Magic, Cavs.  What happens to Lebron may tip the scales a bit in the East.

A 3-peat would be nice but the East is powerful enough to have a say in it.

Anything is POSSSIBBBLLEEE!!!!!
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
REPEAT!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think so. I think this core had it's run and we're not going to be there to stop them next year. Who's going to stop them? The Magic and Howard? Lebron and his new team (going back to the Cavs he has no chance)?

This season's free agent bonanza may shift the balance of power in the east.

There is a whole lot of change coming this summer.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »

Offline LakerPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I believe that if these playoffs illustrated anything, it's the importance of mental toughness. The Celtics and the Lakers were heads and shoulders above the rest of the league in this respect, which is why they (especially the Celtics) were able to beat mentally fragile teams that were supposedly superior. This aspect was fought to a draw in the Finals.

So if this was the Celtics' last hurrah...who's going to beat the Lakers? Who's going to be able to hang with the Lakers from a mental/will standpoint? The Lakers were HORRIBLE last night in every aspect that required skill, but won the game with sheer determination. Who's going to TAKE the title from the Lakers? Because that's what someone's going to have to do. It won't be given.

I believe that the Oklahoma City Thunder will be the next team that rises up to challenge the Lakers for Western Conference supremacy.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If some team in the West can add a big piece this summer (e.g. Houston S+T for Bosh), then perhaps.  The Thunder or the Blazers might seriously challenge the Lakers if they remain healthy and continue to improve.

In the East, I expect that whichever team does the best in free agency will be at the top of the conference, right up there with the Magic
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
If the NBA and it's Officials have their way, (and they always have), then of course the Lakers will be back.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 04:14:05 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
A 3-peat would be nice but the East is powerful enough to have a say in it.

Nice? Nice?! Man, you guys are spoiled  ::)

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »

Offline GEE

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
you lost because your team ran out of GAS!, not the refs, not David Stern, NOT some imaginary cheap shot or missed calls.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
two things:

1.  who cares about the lakers  >:(
2.  there should be some significant changes coming this offseason to the rosters of teams, so until everything is done, it is tough to say.  this is a question that is best asked when the season is about to start

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:23:42 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
1.  who cares about the lakers  >:(

TP!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126