Author Topic: Finding a better nickname for Williams than ‘time lord’  (Read 10396 times)

Re: Finding a better nickname for Williams than ‘time lord’
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I agree that it's a dumb nickname.  I first heard on the Raining J's podcast and assume that's there is came from.

In terms of a nickname, I vote for Jumpy Williams.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I vote for “Robert”. Or maybe “Williams.

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 07:49:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think Time Lord is a terrible nickname. Block Lord or Swat Lord would be better or Pogo.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Chief the 2nd

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I vote for “Robert”. Or maybe “Williams.

;D
I like that! Got my vote!

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
time will decide ....but for now i like the Time Lord ......its unique , not same ol cliche'

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Better than Boo Butt lol

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Nicknames have a life of their own.  The harder you try to make one stick it won't.
If the universe wants us to call him Timelord, that is what will happen.

I am FINE with Timelord!!!!

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Where did the “Time Lord” nickname come from?

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/10/boston_celtics_robert_williams_5.html
That partially explains it, but it's also a little bit skewed by the twitter user's self promotion and the writer's willingness to keep some semblance of "Weird Celtic Twitter" quirky mystique to the whole thing.  Here's the real story behind the nickname...

Robert (nicknamed Boo-Butt in College) slipped in the draft in large part, because he was seen as an immature headcase.  Apparently at one point his school suspended him - which I've seen at least one writer claim was drug-related.  There were also some medical concerns, but worries about his work ethic and maturity were a big part of why he was available that late. 

The morning after being drafted he was scheduled to have a press call and he was missing in action.  Fans reaction in the moment ranged from, "wow, didn't take long for this fool to live up to his billing"... to some fans pointing out the potential parallels to Len Bias and hoping things didn't get out of hand. 

Eventually, it was explained that Robert merely overslept and missed his conference call.  Immediately, folks on reddit and twitter started coming up with all sorts of whacky sleep-themed nicknames:  "Big Sleep", "Captain Snooze", "Sleepy Williams", "Snorlax", etc to make fun of him for oversleeping.  For my part, I stuck with the sleep theme and started calling him "Sandman" (mythical character that puts people to sleep), because it reminded me of Hakeem "the Dream" and we could claim Sandman put his opponent to sleep when he had a ferocious block.

More details trickled out that he had been out the night before celebrating at Buffalo Wild Wings and because he was in a Central Time Zone, he mixed up what time the call was and overslept... https://nesn.com/2018/06/robert-williams-reveals-why-he-missed-celtics-morning-conference-call/ ...

Cue the time-themed nicknames on twitter/reddit... "McFly", "Clock Keeper", "Time Lord", etc. 

"Time Lord" isn't an original name. It's a direct reference to Doctor Who (long running children's sci fi show that's been around since the 1960s). Doctor Who is a type of alien called a "Time Lord".

"The Time Lords are a fictional, ancient extraterrestrial species in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who, of which the series' protagonist, the Doctor, is a member. Time Lords are so named for their command of time travel technology and their non-linear perception of time."

... thus, it was funny to call Robert "Time Lord" and joke that he only missed his press call, because he experiences time differently.

It's stuck, because people think it sounds cool and many don't realize it has roots in nerd culture. Seems most fans assume it's just some random abstract nickname for the internet era.  The media is picking up so they appear relevant - all the while, the people who initially came up with the nickname are quietly snickering that it's caught on.

Later, news broke that Robert lost his wallet twice in a 2-day span and missed his flight to Summer League. There were some wallet themed nicknames like "Willy Wallet", but they didn't stick like Time Lord.

FWIW, there's a guy on twitter who goes by Riff that some credit as the first fan to give him the Doctor Who "Time Lord" nickname. He claims he predicted Boston was going to draft Robert a couple years ago - and is trying to fit it with the time travel theme.

More entertaining is that there's actually a tweet from 2013 from someone who says:

https://twitter.com/aaron_shimmer/status/377105124327690240

September 9, 2013:  "I think robert williams is a timelord he never aged i watched ms doubtfire the other day and i was amazed lol"

He immediately corrected himself by saying he meant to say Robin Williams... but the fact there's a person calling Robert Williams "timelord" 5 years ago sticks with the time travel theme.

It's gained a bit of a life of it's own, but ultimately Ainge is probably right - it's a borderline mean-spirited nickname created to make fun of Robert.  The team is aware of his problems and had to bring in a dedicated handler to work with him directly and make sure he meets professional expectations.  My guess is that either Ainge thinks the name sounds random for the sake of being random, or he's aware it's poking fun at Robert and would prefer we don't hold his youthful mistakes over his head his entire career.  The best NBA nicknames have some reference to the guy's game... Magic was Magic.  Air Jordan hung in the air.  The Mailman always delivered.  The only other nickname similar to "Time Lord" I can think of is "Big Baby"... it's a nickname focused on the player's failures as a person as opposed to their talents on the court. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:41:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/10/boston_celtics_robert_williams_5.html
That partially explains it, but it's also a little bit skewed by the twitter user's self promotion and the writer's willingness to keep some semblance of "Weird Celtic Twitter" quirky mystery to the whole thing.  Here's the real story behind the nickname...

Robert (nicknamed Boo-Butt in College) slipped in the draft in large part, because he was seen as an immature headcase.  The morning after being drafted he was scheduled to have a press call and he was missing in action.  Fans reaction in the moment ranged from, "wow, didn't take long for this fool to live up to his billing"... to some fans pointing out the potential parallels to Len Bias and hoping things didn't get out of hand. 

Eventually, it was explained that Robert merely overslept and missed his conference call.  Immediately, folks and reddit and twitter started coming up with all sorts of whacky sleep-themed nicknames:  "Big Sleep", "Captain Snooze", "Sleepy Williams", "Snorlax", etc to make fun of him for oversleeping.  For my part, I stuck with the sleep theme and started calling him "Sandman" (mythical character that puts people to sleep), because it reminded me of Hakeem "the Dream" and we could claim Sandman put his opponent to sleep when he had a ferocious block.

More details trickled out that he had been out the night before celebrating at Buffalo Wild Wings and because he was in a Central Time Zone, he mixed up what time the call was and overslept... https://nesn.com/2018/06/robert-williams-reveals-why-he-missed-celtics-morning-conference-call/ ...

Cue the time-themed nicknames on twitter/reddit... "McFly", "Clock Keeper", "Time Lord", etc. 

"Time Lord" isn't an original name. It's a direct reference to Doctor Who (long running children's sci fi show that's been around since the 1960s). Doctor Who is a type of alien called a "Time Lord".

"The Time Lords are a fictional, ancient extraterrestrial species in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who, of which the series' protagonist, the Doctor, is a member. Time Lords are so named for their command of time travel technology and their non-linear perception of time."

... thus, it was funny to call Robert "Time Lord" and joke that he only missed his press call, because he experiences time differently.

It's stuck, because people think it sounds cool and many don't realize it has roots in nerd culture. Seems most fans assume it's just some random abstract nickname for the internet era.  The media is picking up so they appear relevant - all the while, the people who initially came up with the nickname are quietly snickering that it's caught on.

Later, news broke that Robert lost his wallet twice in a 2-day span and missed his flight to Summer League. There were some wallet themed nicknames like "Willy Wallet", but they didn't stick like Time Lord.

FWIW, there's a guy on twitter who goes by Riff that some credit as the first fan to give him the Doctor Who "Time Lord" nickname. He claims he predicted Boston was going to draft Robert a couple years ago - and is trying to fit it with the time travel theme.

More entertaining is that there's actually a tweet from 2013 from someone who says:

September 9, 2013:  "I think robert williams is a timelord he never aged i watched ms doubtfire the other day and i was amazed lol"

He immediately corrected himself by saying he meant to say Robin Williams... but the fact there's a person calling Robert Williams "timelord" 5 years ago sticks with the time travel theme.

It's gained a bit of a life of it's own, but ultimately Ainge is probably right - it's a borderline mean-spirited nickname created to make fun of Robert.  The best NBA nicknames have some reference to the guy's game... Magic was Magic.  Air Jordan hung in the air.  The Mailman always delivered.  The only other nickname similar to "Time Lord" I can think of is "Big Baby"... it's a nickname focused on the player's failures as a person as opposed to their talents on the court.

TP LB. one of your best posts. I agree with you.

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

That partially explains it, but it's also a little bit skewed by the twitter user's self promotion and the writer's willingness to keep some semblance of "Weird Celtic Twitter" quirky mytique to the whole thing.  Here's the real story behind the nickname...

Robert (nicknamed Boo-Butt in College) slipped in the draft in large part, because he was seen as an immature headcase.  Apparently at one point his school suspended him - which I've seen at least one writer claim was drug-related.  There were also some medical concerns, but worries about his work ethic and maturity were a big part of why he was available that late. 

The morning after being drafted he was scheduled to have a press call and he was missing in action.  Fans reaction in the moment ranged from, "wow, didn't take long for this fool to live up to his billing"... to some fans pointing out the potential parallels to Len Bias and hoping things didn't get out of hand. 

Eventually, it was explained that Robert merely overslept and missed his conference call.  Immediately, folks on reddit and twitter started coming up with all sorts of whacky sleep-themed nicknames:  "Big Sleep", "Captain Snooze", "Sleepy Williams", "Snorlax", etc to make fun of him for oversleeping.  For my part, I stuck with the sleep theme and started calling him "Sandman" (mythical character that puts people to sleep), because it reminded me of Hakeem "the Dream" and we could claim Sandman put his opponent to sleep when he had a ferocious block.

It's gained a bit of a life of it's own, but ultimately Ainge is probably right - it's a borderline mean-spirited nickname created to make fun of Robert.  The team is aware of his problems and had to bring in a dedicated handler to work with him directly and make sure he meets professional expectations.  My guess is that either Ainge thinks the name sounds random for the sake of being random, or he's aware it's poking fun at Robert and would prefer we don't hold his youthful mistakes over his head his entire career.  The best NBA nicknames have some reference to the guy's game... Magic was Magic.  Air Jordan hung in the air.  The Mailman always delivered.  The only other nickname similar to "Time Lord" I can think of is "Big Baby"... it's a nickname focused on the player's failures as a person as opposed to their talents on the court. 

TP LB. one of your best posts. I agree with you.

I think if it sticks, it's not the worst thing in the world.  It has found a life of it's own.  But it was definitely a nickname created to laugh at what a knucklehead this kid was.  Most people using the nickname probably don't get that it's a Doctor Who reference and what lead to them using that name for Robert.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:41:29 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Great post LarBrd33, TP.

But I don't agree with you.

Nicknames aren't always like you want them, but as long as it's with good fun you need to accept and embrace them.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Great post LarBrd33, TP.

Nicknames aren't always like you want them, but as long as it's with good fun you need to accept and embrace them.
Yeah... I understand it's in good fun... hence why I embraced it when I put together a highlight reel of him against the Pelicans:  https://youtu.be/tG0TN2E_vyU

But... I acknowledge it was originally intended to make a joke out of his knuckleheadery.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Great post LarBrd33, TP.

Yeah... I understand it's in good fun... hence why I embraced it when I put together a highlight reel of him against the Pelicans:  https://youtu.be/tG0TN2E_vyU

But... I acknowledge it was originally intended to make a joke out of his knuckleheadery.

I kind of agree, in that I don’t want to keep making fun of the kid for one or two little mistakes. But there is that other part of the story – weird as it is – that there was a blogger who predicted Williams would come to the Celtics. And for my own point of view, I think the way he shows up in impossible places to block shots kind of works with the name. Like he bends space and time to get across the floor or way up in the air.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Great post LarBrd33, TP.

I kind of agree, in that I don’t want to keep making fun of the kid for one or two little mistakes. But there is that other part of the story – weird as it is – that there was a blogger who predicted Williams would come to the Celtics. And for my own point of view, I think the way he shows up in impossible places to block shots kind of works with the name. Like he bends space and time to get across the floor or way up in the air.

Seems some fans want "Time Lord" to mean "Doctor Strange"...

Doctor Strange bends space and time...   

The Doctor (a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey) travels around in a little blue police box with companions.

People need to get their nerd culture references right.  Lol.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:15:31 PM by LarBrd33 »