Author Topic: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns  (Read 9016 times)

Re: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If this report has any basis in truth then it means that Cousins is on the market.

If Cousins is on the market, then nobody who would reasonably be interested in him should have the ability to out-bid Ainge.  He's simply got too large a pile of movable assets including the singularly most valuable draft pick at the moment in the NBA.   And I can't imagine any GM gauging interest in his wares without checking in on Ainge.

So IF this report is true and IF Ainge wants DMC, he should be able to get him.

This.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Keep in mind Cousins only has 1.5 years left on his contract.

No way Ainge makes a big Cousins trade unless he has that long term commitment from Cousins.

I mean can you imagine giving away guys like Bradley or Brown + Nets Picks only to see Cousins leave after 2018...

There are certain players you take that risk on.  Cousins is one of them.

Also, the Celtics would be able to offer Cousins a max extension this summer (including a pay raise with a renegotiated contract) that would pay him more than he could get in free agency in 2018.

If Ainge thinks Cousins is a good long-term fit, then he should do what he can to make a trade, and not worry about free agency.

Oh wow I never knew that.

Hmm that changes everything lol.

It still depends on whether Ainge/Stevens ultimately want him though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Suns offer no more than

Chriss, Len, TJ Warren, Knight and multiple 1sts (2017 lakers 1st (top 3 protected, unprotected in 2018), 2019 suns 1st)

that is not a bad return for the boogieman

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Keep in mind Cousins only has 1.5 years left on his contract.

No way Ainge makes a big Cousins trade unless he has that long term commitment from Cousins.

I mean can you imagine giving away guys like Bradley or Brown + Nets Picks only to see Cousins leave after 2018...

There are certain players you take that risk on.  Cousins is one of them.

Also, the Celtics would be able to offer Cousins a max extension this summer (including a pay raise with a renegotiated contract) that would pay him more than he could get in free agency in 2018.

If Ainge thinks Cousins is a good long-term fit, then he should do what he can to make a trade, and not worry about free agency.

Wowzer. How can you be sure?

Also how long can extensions be?

Celtics visit Kings next week by the way!

From all that I've heard, the Celtics can renegotiate Cousins' contract this summer up to the 7-9 max using cap room and then extend him for an additional four years.  If he were given max raises in the new deal, he would make $179 million over the next five years.  If he instead played out his final season and then signed a four-year deal elsewhere with max raises, he would get $156 million over the next five years.  (These numbers are based on salary cap projections of $103 million next year and $107 million the following year, which are the most recent I've seen.)

In other words, Boston can put a very competitive offer on the table for him to forego free agency.  It's less than the supermax deal the Kings can offer this summer if they don't end up trading him, but it's still 15% more than the open market.

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Not sure how this has turned into a Celtics Cousins trade thread

but it's not going to happen

Cousins is not neither Danny nor CBS type of player

Ryan Mcdonough on the other hand is fighting for his job and needs to do something

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

Ryan Mcdonough on the other hand is fighting for his job and needs to do something

I will say again. If the Suns are not planning to include Booker in the talks there is 0% chance that they will get Cousins

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I will say again. If the Suns are not planning to include Booker in the talks there are 0% chance that they will get Cousins

who says??

what is the point of the suns trading booker and acquiring cousins?  The Suns pretty much turn into the king with such a swap

i think the deal I proposed is pretty good (especially the lakers 1st should be a good one on top of their own top 5-7 pick for 2017)

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford

I will say again. If the Suns are not planning to include Booker in the talks there are 0% chance that they will get Cousins

who says??

what is the point of the suns trading booker and acquiring cousins?  The Suns pretty much turn into the king with such a swap

i think the deal I propose is pretty good (especially the lakers 1st should be a good one on top of their own top 5 pick for 2017)

I'm talking from Kings perspective. Why then trade Cousins? For Chriss, Warren, Bender??? Booker is the guy who will be a star in the future.

But from Suns point of view i agree with you that Suns want to keep Booker for the same reason.

This trade doesn't make sense to me...

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If i were the Kings i wouldn't even talk with the Suns if Devon Booker isn't the first name they mention

TP.....I just got home, and as I'm reading this thread, I can't believe that it took 3 hours for someone to say this.

I know the focus is on us getting him (hopefullY), but you guys are slipping.

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

who says??

i think the deal I propose is pretty good (especially the lakers 1st should be a good one on top of their own top 5 pick for 2017)

I'm talking from Kings perspective. Why then trade Cousins? For Chriss, Warren, Bender??? Booker is the guy who will be a star in the future.

But from Suns point of view i agree with you that Suns want to keep Booker for the same reason.

This trade doesn't make sense to me...

don't forget Knight who is a pretty good PG coming off the bench right now

suns know they have a surplus in many positions.... and can make an addition by subtraction

Cousins
Bender
Tucker
Booker
Bledsoe 

looks like an interesting lineup that could make some noise

The kings on the other hand (for next season)

Georgios Papagiannis (for Divac sake he better turn out to be decent)
Chriss
Warren
?
Knight

you can add 2 of Monk, Smith, Isaac etc.   This is a pretty deep draft....

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Because you say so? I'm not the biggest Cousins fan around, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make a serious attempt to obtain him.

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
we all saw no key free agents wanted to go near the kings
not even any draft pick prospects....there was only one or two lotto bound prospects that worked out for the ghost town kings... think about that...no wonder they chose  Georgios Papagiannis lol

So you lock up cousins and stay at the basement (because by the time any prospects become decent, kings will prob be rebuilding again)

Better chance at success in starting out fresh imo.

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
To be fair, Ainge hasn't said many nice things about Cousins over the years.

Not explicitly but he's said stuff like "Cousins looks like he's having problems" and "we don't want locker room cancers" when referencing or answering a Cousins question from the media.

Things can change, yes, but it doesn't look like Ainge wants to risk it with a boneheaded move (if Cousins doesn't pan out at all and he whines).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'd do the Nets '17, Celtics '18, Clippers '19.

As much as I want the kid to stay in green and see what he becomes, I include Jaylen.

You want one of our stashes? Pick anyone you like.

Fancy Olynyk? He's yours.

Oh and Zeller to match.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford

don't forget Knight who is a pretty good PG coming off the bench right now

suns know they have a surplus in many positions.... and can make an addition by subtraction

Cousins
Bender
Tucker
Booker
Bledsoe 

looks like an interesting lineup that could make some noise

The kings on the other hand (for next season)

Georgios Papagiannis (for Divac sake he better turn out to be decent)
Chriss
Warren
?
Knight

you can add 2 of Monk, Smith, Isaac etc.   This is a pretty deep draft....

So the Kings trade Cousins for solid players and solid pick? I'm not buying. Knight, Warren, Chriss all solid players but no one will be a star and the pick will probably not be top 3. Solid return but no star or star in making for the Kings. I find hard to believe that Kings will do such a trade.