Author Topic: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns  (Read 9070 times)

Re: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

What's the most you give up for Cousins?

Here's what I offer at most:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gt4shg9

Sacramento: Zeller, Brown, Olynyk, Rozier, 2017 Brooklyn pick, 2019 Memphis pick

Boston: Boogie, Collison

That leaves you with the following rotation:

PG: IT, Collison (who is an excellent two-way guard off the bench)
SG: Bradley, Smart
SF: Crowder, Green
PF: Horford, JJ
C: Cousins, Amir

That's a really solid 10-man rotation for the rest of the season to win games, possibly overtake the Cavs at the number one spot, and get rest to guys who need it for the playoffs. Then you have a really strong 8-9 man rotation of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Cousins, Collison, and JJ/Amir for the playoffs.

EDIT: Or Amir, Zeller, Brown, Rozier, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and the 2019 Memphis pick for Boogie, Collison, and Casspi would also be a good deal for us.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:45:25 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I just posted a Cousins trade idea under the "Just For Fun.." Thread.

Check it out.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Man, I want Cousins.  I want him badly.

I can't seriously contend with the idiotic notion that Cousins don't make us a contender.  The path to securing permanence in mediocrity is to look forward to some college kid to pan out 4 to 6 years from now.  If there are choices, then those choices needs to be explored.  Cousins not only fill our desperate need for a capable center but also a scoring big.  That is huge.  Yes, we'd be contenders without a doubt.

The way our team is structured at the moment ONLY favors trading that pick for someone like Cousins.  Going the draft route would open up many holes in the near future that we won't be able to fill. 

Needless to say, I don't want Cousins today, I want Cousins yesterday.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

What's the most you give up for Cousins?

Here's what I offer at most:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gt4shg9

Sacramento: Zeller, Brown, Olynyk, Rozier, 2017 Brooklyn pick, 2019 Memphis pick

Boston: Boogie, Collison

That leaves you with the following rotation:

PG: IT, Collison (who is an excellent two-way guard off the bench)
SG: Bradley, Smart
SF: Crowder, Green
PF: Horford, JJ
C: Cousins, Amir

That's a really solid 10-man rotation for the rest of the season to win games, possibly overtake the Cavs at the number one spot, and get rest to guys who need it for the playoffs. Then you have a really strong 8-9 man rotation of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Cousins, Collison, and JJ/Amir for the playoffs.

EDIT: Or Amir, Zeller, Brown, Rozier, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and the 2019 Memphis pick for Boogie, Collison, and Casspi would also be a good deal for us.
Wouldnt it be better to wait until we got the number 1 or 2 pick. We wouldn't have to offer much if it was Fultz and filler.

Then again the top two guys in this draft are slated as future all stars so it's hard to make this trade.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This is definitely good news. My biggest hope us that we win the lottery and then deal the #1 pick + filler for Cousins

Even if that doesn't make us instant contenders, it puts us within spitting distance (and with the assets and young players to improve via trade or one of our young guys making a leap)

Will we have such fillers? With the new CBA, non-guaranteed money doesn't count in trades (Zeller's 8 million for next year are team option). And Amir-JJ will have expired. Maybe using Kelly as S&T material?

If Cousins is on the market, we must get it done now.

Do you have a source on that? I haven't seen anything saying that

A large amount of the salary would be the rookie contract of the #1 overall pick (similar to how Wiggins was traded after being signed, allowing his salary to count), and then filler like Zeller (if possible) or smaller salaries added together
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is definitely good news. My biggest hope us that we win the lottery and then deal the #1 pick + filler for Cousins

Even if that doesn't make us instant contenders, it puts us within spitting distance (and with the assets and young players to improve via trade or one of our young guys making a leap)

Will we have such fillers? With the new CBA, non-guaranteed money doesn't count in trades (Zeller's 8 million for next year are team option). And Amir-JJ will have expired. Maybe using Kelly as S&T material?

If Cousins is on the market, we must get it done now.

Do you have a source on that? I haven't seen anything saying that

A large amount of the salary would be the rookie contract of the #1 overall pick (similar to how Wiggins was traded after being signed, allowing his salary to count), and then filler like Zeller (if possible) or smaller salaries added together

Non-guaranteed money doesn't count for contracts signed under the new CBA.  Zeller is still good.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'd rather just get the deal done at the trade deadline.  I think Boogie added to this roster (for mostly picks and Amir Johnson) puts us at least on par with Cleveland this year.  I can't wait to see Kevin Love have to guard Boogie or Horford an entire game, not to mention Cleveland having to play 4-on-5 offense with Thompson on the court at the end of games.

I'd definitely prefer it this season, but I can't see SAC being willing to trade Cousins for just a chance at the #1 pick (unless we include other assets, which I'd rather not do)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I'd rather just get the deal done at the trade deadline.  I think Boogie added to this roster (for mostly picks and Amir Johnson) puts us at least on par with Cleveland this year.  I can't wait to see Kevin Love have to guard Boogie or Horford an entire game, not to mention Cleveland having to play 4-on-5 offense with Thompson on the court at the end of games.

I'd definitely prefer it this season, but I can't see SAC being willing to trade Cousins for just a chance at the #1 pick (unless we include other assets, which I'd rather not do)

You do the deal as soon as you can.  Sacramento is highly unpredictable, and you don't need Boogie tempted by the supermax deal this summer.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Keep in mind Cousins only has 1.5 years left on his contract.

No way Ainge makes a big Cousins trade unless he has that long term commitment from Cousins.

I mean can you imagine giving away guys like Bradley or Brown + Nets Picks only to see Cousins leave after 2018...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Maybe Phoenix is Sacramentos leverage to negotiate with the celts

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrdnruc

Add Miamis 1st and their own this year and both teams make out crazy.... 

Knight, TJ Warren, Len and Benders plus Ulis (decent) plus three future 1st rounders with top ten potential. 

Bledsoe
Booker
Dudley
Cuz
Chandler

Bench of Barbosa, Caspi, Collison, Tucker and Chriss....    Win Win I think for PHX
Diggles

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No way Ainge makes a big Cousins trade unless he has that long term commitment from Cousins.

I mean can you imagine giving away guys like Bradley or Brown + Nets Picks only to see Cousins leave after 2018...

There are certain players you take that risk on.  Cousins is one of them.

Also, the Celtics would be able to offer Cousins a max extension this summer (including a pay raise with a renegotiated contract) that would pay him more than he could get in free agency in 2018.

If Ainge thinks Cousins is a good long-term fit, then he should do what he can to make a trade, and not worry about free agency.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 08:05:16 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

There are certain players you take that risk on.  Cousins is one of them.

Also, the Celtics would be able to offer Cousins a max extension this summer (including a pay raise with a renegotiated contract) that would pay him more than he could get in free agency in 2018.

If Ainge thinks Cousins is a good long-term fit, then he should do what he can to make a trade, and not worry about free agency.

Wowzer. How can you be sure?

Also how long can extensions be?

Celtics visit Kings next week by the way!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
If i were the Kings i wouldn't even talk with the Suns if Devon Booker isn't the first name they mention

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If i were the Kings i wouldn't even talk with the Suns if Devon Booker isn't the first name they mention

I agree but I assume the Suns want to keep him...if I were the suns, I want to be able to build around a star and an up and coming star rather than throw all our assets to build around just one star