Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120980 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Watched a bunch of Varnardo when I was at Ole Miss, he's athletic and great instincts for weak side blocks, but dude is skinny. Rondo might make him useful, think a more talented Ryan Hollins.

A more talented Hollins isnt saying much..

If he can get off the bench maybe he provide some Larry freaking Sanders syndrome for us.

It may not be saying much, but it's true.

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A center with the body of Walter McCarty?  Sign me up.

Seriously, I like what I read about his motor, but how much can a 210 pound center contribute?  There's a lot more to D than shot-blocking.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
C'mon Danny...why are we signing scrubs when we're desperately in need for a legit and talented big.  This is ridiculous

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont like the signing at all. He is a great motor guy, don't get me wrong, but we still didn't get big...  Here's hoping he'd be good.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Watched a bunch of Varnardo when I was at Ole Miss, he's athletic and great instincts for weak side blocks, but dude is skinny. Rondo might make him useful, think a more talented Ryan Hollins.

If he can get off the bench maybe he provide some Larry freaking Sanders syndrome for us.

Like your thinking.

Given all the bad luck that we have had with injuries, heart ailments and circumstances in general the past few years, the basketball gods owe us.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
i think he is small enough to play doc's small ball bs. or he might have a phd in psychology maybe he can treat our mental fatigue problem, right doc?lol

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I hated Hollins as much as the next guy, but if he wasn't allergic to rebounding I thought he could've be an effective role player.

I'm still waiting for a Ryan Hollins Mind Boggingly misses a rebound mix on youtube, consistent of plays where he's the only one int he area, he goes up for the board, and then the ball darts off his hands to the opponent.

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Well, we had a free roster spot, so before "the great trade swindle" in january-february we get another trade "asset". We'll see Doc showcasing him to raise his value... lol.

I like the signing, he can't be worse than Troy Murphy, and we still had celticbloggers who wanted to give Troy another chance. At least Varnado can do something very well, so if he can learn the basics of the pro game he could help. About his weight, Marcus Camby isn't 280 lbs either, right? If Ryan Hollins could help, after being discarded by the Timberwolves, you know this kid can make it after being cut by the CHeat.

He could be another role player project, or just another Kevinn Pinkney. But the guy deserves a chance.

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I wonder in 10 years how much effect Tyson Chandler will have on the game.

Physically, he's certainly more gifted, but I think his game can show guys like this the importance of really understanding defense, and the importance of setting a good screen.

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I just don't see a guy, that the undersized Heat cut this summer, offering us much more than Melo would.

Ah. Here's the crux of it. Is not this Varnado signing an indictment of just how much the Celtics think Melo can "offer" the team right now?
The Heat have

LeBron/Battier/Lewis
Bosh/Haslem/Anthony

Literally 3 deep in both positions with guys that can blow Melo (or Varnado) out of the water.  Plus their projects Pittman and Harrellson.

The Heat have no size but that's obviously not the same as having no bigs that can play.  Why would they keep another unbelievably undersized player?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If this kid gets any burn and translate a few blocks, Tommy is going to rave about his Russell-esque nature for blocking shots just after they leave a players hand. Tommy loves that sort of thing.
Um....he didn't do that.  He sent it back as the guy was dunking it.

Tommy's point is that you're 1000 times more likely to get called for a foul when you're swatting at the ball/wrist/forearm while it's still under the guy's control and he can move it, as opposed to swatting at the ball/air.

If you really watched Stiemsma and saw the way he blocks the majority of shots, you'd know it really is different than most of the shot blockers in the NBA.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Seriously, I like what I read about his motor, but how much can a 210 pound center contribute?  There's a lot more to D than shot-blocking.
He was 210 in 2010. Maybe he's added some weight. But given that he apparently weighed 195 lbs (!) as a freshman, I'm not too hopeful.

Also, I don't seem him as a center, really. He's a shade under 6'10 in shoes.

Sadly, we're so desperate for a big man who can block some shots, that I'd guess we're prepared to roll the dice on anyone.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I read that Varnado was up around 235lbs towards the end of his spell in college. I don't even think that was his last season at college. I think it was 2nd last year in college. That was what? 3 years ago?

So ... the 210lb weight listing seems well outdated. I'd expect him to clock in at least 235bls and probably in that 240-245lb range.

At 6-10 and around 240lbs, he is about the same size as Chris Andersen would've been. Given his skill-set and descriptions, a Chris Andersen comparison seems fairly apt. Varnado has a chance to be the next Chris Andersen. Andersen came out of the D-League too.

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If this kid gets any burn and translate a few blocks, Tommy is going to rave about his Russell-esque nature for blocking shots just after they leave a players hand. Tommy loves that sort of thing.
Um....he didn't do that.  He sent it back as the guy was dunking it.

Tommy's point is that you're 1000 times more likely to get called for a foul when you're swatting at the ball/wrist/forearm while it's still under the guy's control and he can move it, as opposed to swatting at the ball/air.

If you really watched Stiemsma and saw the way he blocks the majority of shots, you'd know it really is different than most of the shot blockers in the NBA.
It all depends on who's the blocker. If your an all-star its a clean block, as a rookie, you might not be so lucky, many clean blocks will be called as a foul.

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

At least he has a useful defensive skill. Cs haven't blocked a shot since last year. And they get dunked on for 25 by no name bigs like Greg Smith and Tiago Splitter every night.

I've been pushing for a Varnado try out for a few months now. I applaud Ainge for giving the guy a shot. If e proves he can dunk, run the floor and block a few shots nightly, he just replaces Wilcox who they can use as filler in a deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)